Video thread

More
4 years 1 week ago #36269 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Video thread
Here is one in shallow water.  Runs are shorter and harder to fit a boat into, but good practice slashing across the waves.  Wind is offshore, a paddler behind is not anxious to go out much further. So I stay inside and zip around.  Excellent practice.  Boyan is a master at this.  His surfski 600 episode was a gem.  I have a lot to learn about zooming across the waves.  So fun.  

downwind dilettante

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36335 by Donhass
Replied by Donhass on topic Re:Video thread
Man, this makes me feel lucky living out here in CA. I thought it was cold out here. Nothing compared to that.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37186 by David Grainger
Replied by David Grainger on topic Video thread
I Remixed a video published earlier by Sharon Armstrong. Click 'show more' on YT for details on what I did to her original
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

More
3 years 7 months ago #37191 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic Video thread
90 seconds of action from some decent wind in Sydney last week.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37194 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Video thread
> 90 seconds of action from some decent wind in Sydney last week.

That certainly looks like the longest surfski I've ever seen!! What is that, 20m long?
The following user(s) said Thank You: EK Sydney

More
3 years 7 months ago #37197 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic Video thread
TVE yes mate that's the new Epic V111112.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37313 by LaPerouseBay

downwind dilettante

More
3 years 6 months ago #37316 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Video thread
Back on the horse!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• kobicohen33
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #37317 by kobicohen33
Replied by kobicohen33 on topic Video thread
Will a windsurfer be faster than a surfski in waves with backwind (dw)?

More
3 years 6 months ago #37327 by LaPerouseBay

zachhandler wrote: Back on the horse!

Whew, it feels good to shake out those jitters...  Yesterday was run #4 and I think that fixed 'em. 

The 12 has been super fun on the south shore.  Handles like a dream .  The DK 9" rudder added even more stability...   

Yesterday was a nice sunny day.  I'm rendering a video of the first 15 minutes and will post it later.  It shows the bumps gradually building into this section of the run.  Super fun day.  So lucky to be on Maui.  

downwind dilettante

More
3 years 6 months ago #37331 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Video thread
You look very relaxed out there. What program do you use to get the speed and graph in the bottom right corner?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 6 months ago #37333 by LaPerouseBay
^ Race Render.    

I'm very happy with it.  The graph is something I cooked up myself.  I wanted to see the upcoming speeds to sorta let me know on the video that a good or bad decision was coming up.  Super helpful.   I set it up to be as unobtrusive as possible, yet include lots of data.  Race Render graphics are very easy to customize and move around on the screen.  Once you have it, you make a template. 

I download my gopro DCIM file to a hard drive first.  Then open Race Render and drag the first clip in.  Race Render asks if I'd like to join them all, (yes)  and use the telemetry (yes).  Then I add the template.  Easy peasy.

That garmin telemetry is super accurate.  Garmin watches are 1Hz.   Gopro is 14Hz.    

Very stable, easy to use.  I can click a few times and be editing in a jiffy.  It's very user friendly in my opinion.  

I don't watch the entire video to search for the good stuff.  I download my garmin watch TCX file to my hard drive.  Then import it to the OLD Garmin "training center".  That old graph can be stretched out.  It allows me to see the speedy parts of the run.  Those ever elusive plateaus...    I simply go to those sections of the video.    

Camera is the gopro 8.  Set to 4k/60fps/linear.    

Here's that video of the beginning of yesterday's run on the south shore.   Zero fetch.   Very good for learning how valuable it is to go across the waves.  The speed graph don't lie.  

Today was really windy.  I'm just about to look at the video.  May post up some nifty fast parts tomorrow.  So addictive...  

downwind dilettante

More
3 years 6 months ago #37408 by David Grainger

4K - watch on YouTube full screen - removes the moire on the PFD

More
3 years 6 months ago #37411 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Video thread
Nice stripes on the paddles, what did you use?

More
3 years 6 months ago #37417 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Video thread

David Grainger wrote: 4K - watch on YouTube full screen - removes the moire on the PFD

Nice!  Where is that David?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 6 months ago #37418 by LaPerouseBay
Excellent wind today.  The V-8P was a real hoot after a few weeks in the 12.  The extra stability allowed me to step on the gas with abandon and blaze into any hole with zero fucks given.  Super fun day.   

I was with a friend who was learning to foil, she did great.  She had to rest a few times and was crashing here and there.  She's a true expert on the SUP.  I can't keep up with her at Maliko if it gets big enough.    I kept a close eye on her, doing a mile or so at a time, then paddling back upwind.  I can't go upwind in the 12 in those conditions.  I'll post a video tomorrow of how big it was uphill.  Super fun on the south shore.  Much easier than the north shore.  Excellent training.  

downwind dilettante

More
3 years 6 months ago #37419 by David Grainger
Noank, Connecticut USA

More
3 years 6 months ago #37420 by David Grainger

More
3 years 6 months ago #37422 by LaPerouseBay
Here's some of the upwind.  I should have been weaving and angling a bit more to prevent the hull slams.  

The swells are tight and steep - early in the run.  This is at mile 3.5.  The swells start to open up at about mile 7.

downwind dilettante

More
3 years 6 months ago #37432 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic Cheeseburger Run
Our favourite course in southern Sydney in a westerly, the novelty Cheeseburger Run.

Latest Forum Topics