Video thread

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #38272 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Video thread
One for the Flatwater paddlers,  edited clip
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by waverider.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38275 by sarzelopez
Replied by sarzelopez on topic Video thread
@ zachhandler

I'm thinking about getting a max lens for my hero 9, to have pretty much half of a MAX and always be sure that I'm getting most of the action... Went to a nice downwinder last weekend only to realize i had it on narrow and only filmed my back lol.

@waverider

What kind of grip are you using? I saw Cryders vid but I'm a bit to impatient to wait for the shipping on that "gummy" type tape. I went for a "bat-tape" and it basically sanded down my non control hand´s thumb. I´m missing a decently size wedge of skin/meat now.

And would you say you like the camelbak´s mouthpiece?

More
2 years 11 months ago #38278 by waverider
Couple of adhesive rubber rings around the shaft at the top and bottom of my grip positions so I can feel I am holding shaft symmetrically. These rings are covered with PVC tape. Different colour each side so i can see at a glance when I pick paddle up to see which way around it is. The body of the grip is just the heat shrink the paddle comes with . I use gloves as a habit from my old fishing days were I spent all day on the water, more of a UV protection thing, but does prevent any slip.

camel back tube is ok but have to make sure orientation is correct to work properly (slit vertically). hard to rig it up so I can take a swig without using my hand.

Camera is hero 8 mounted on bulkhead adjacent to drain plug set on wide angle 1060/25fps, lasts about 80mins or so.

When training and checking technique I mount it mid way down front deck on  6" extension (on flat and calm water) and linear setting, this gives better view including catch, and better perspective of top hand positioning.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #38280 by David Grainger
Replied by David Grainger on topic Video thread
That's clever taping your Garmin on the front of your foot pedal!  You do seem to be pushing on the pedals with each stroke, creating unintentional steering input, which over thousands of strokes will slow you down.  I think you need a taller footbrace, with the pivot point for the foot pedals slightly above the ball of your foot.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by David Grainger.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38281 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Video thread
+1 on the tall footplates.  Epic has a nice one.  A dealer can sort that out if anyone is curious.  Mine are also fixed solid to the boat, absolutely rock solid footplate.  Huge help with stability as well as what David mentioned, no incidental steering.  

Tell that girl in the K1 that I'm envious of her top arm position in the thumbnail.  Very jealous!  Perfect!   

downwind dilettante

More
2 years 11 months ago #38282 by waverider
The ball of my foot is below the hinge so there is no drive pressure on the steering pedals, thats just the involuntary wriggling of the toes. The foot rest for some reason was one notch further away from my usual position this causes the pedals to angle slightly more towards me rather than flush as with my normal setting. Didnt realise the set up error until it was too late to change it before the start. Thats the main reason they were contacting more than normal. 

Probably wouldnt have had much resistance effect as on river runs like this I use a tiny rudder, no bigger than  a K1 rudder.

The 'girl" was a young lad of about 12 (thats just a a good capture rather than good technique). He set off like a rocket and it took me 10kms to run down as he ran out of steam. He gave up when he collided with the back of my boat. Earlier in the clip you can catch a brief glimpse of his sister remounting an ICF K1 in mid stream, mid race. Youngsters in k1s often show us blokes up at times. 

Since I have been filming myself with a go pro I have realized that having GPS visible messes with technique consistency, and head posture, as you keep looking down rather than ahead.. flipping it around so I can review afterwards has improved my technique no end, especially on  k1 were that inattention comes at a much bigger cost.  If you are blowing yourself out on long hard paddles focus on keeping head up, breathing in through nose and out the mouth. Makes a huge difference compared to head down staring at your speed. Still working on that so not always the best in that vid

More
2 years 11 months ago #38291 by LaPerouseBay
Amazing long stretch of excellent conditions on the south shore lately.  Super fun for practicing posture, surfing angles, doing intervals. 

downwind dilettante

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #38292 by LaPerouseBay
Another super fun day.

Got really windy and big this day (for the south shore) but it backed off during this clip.  It came back a few miles later.  Super fun in the 12.  that boat loves to run.  Wish I had more power for it!  

downwind dilettante
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by LaPerouseBay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grainger

More
2 years 11 months ago #38293 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Video thread
Awesome. I enjoy watching your videos. Hope I get to paddle blue water like that. 

More
2 years 11 months ago #38301 by LaPerouseBay
I know what it feels like to paddle with Boyan.  No need to paddle for those true experts. 

Our best coach/legendary waterman did this to me on his SUP about 10 years ago.  He didn't take one stroke and dropped me.  I was maybe 6 months in ski, but no weakling.  I'd been zooming pretty good in OC -1 and SUP for a few years.  It was the very beginning of a south shore run which starts with zero fetch.  He followed me for a few minutes, I didn't know he was back there.   He could see I was trying to learn transitions/extend glides.  When I missed my first one, He floated past without a word.  Not one stroke for 5 minutes.  I of course paddled to try and keep up, but it was hopeless.  5 minutes, not one stroke and he pulled away. 

My favorite training partner moves thru equipment like it's easy.  She picked up ski like it was nothing.  Then OC-1, now foil.  She has more talent in her little finger than I have in my whole body.  Great surfer.  Born and raised in HI.  So many talented people here, it's just amazing.  

downwind dilettante
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grainger, Watto

More
2 years 11 months ago #38345 by LaPerouseBay
Oscar sure makes this look easy.  The wave he's on at 4:00 Is really, really big.

NIce to see his speedo in mph, pros are so very, very fast downwind.  

Hope he keeps posting, that MIller's run is something else.  So big.    

downwind dilettante

More
2 years 11 months ago #38369 by LaPerouseBay

downwind dilettante

More
2 years 10 months ago #38423 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Video thread
Amazing footage here from Kai Bartlett. He’s the guy that designed the vega and one of the all time downwind masters.  He gives lots of insights about paddling. Worth your time to watch. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
2 years 10 months ago #38472 by sarzelopez

More
2 years 10 months ago #38522 by sarzelopez

More
2 years 10 months ago #38551 by sarzelopez
Surf Session

Coincided with and OC on the water, so I finally got some "3rd person" footage. Too bad the good ones where on the normal view 

A couple of nice waves on a good tide day. Lowest point of about 4ft. This beach is all "lama" (mudflat?), On regular tides you get stuck on it like 1500m from the sand. At least you can´t wreck the boat if you get stuck.

• 10155721000024794@facebook
  • Visitor
2 years 10 months ago #38553 by 10155721000024794@facebook
Replied by 10155721000024794@facebook on topic Video thread
14’ Wave Witch Surfski at the Reef!

More
2 years 7 months ago #38808 by omarchacon8

NK 640 Cx, NK Double, Nelo 600, Nelo 520 2nd Gen, V7, V8, Bluefin S, McGreggor Rhytm, McGreggor Clasisic, Think uno max, Vega,Vega flex, elite s, swordfish s, nelo cinco k1, V12 gen 1, Nelo 560 gen1, mako 6

More
2 years 7 months ago #38809 by omarchacon8

NK 640 Cx, NK Double, Nelo 600, Nelo 520 2nd Gen, V7, V8, Bluefin S, McGreggor Rhytm, McGreggor Clasisic, Think uno max, Vega,Vega flex, elite s, swordfish s, nelo cinco k1, V12 gen 1, Nelo 560 gen1, mako 6

More
2 years 7 months ago #38810 by omarchacon8

Latest Forum Topics