Video thread

More
13 years 1 month ago #6392 by Hiro
Video thread was created by Hiro
Wanted to start a thread where we would post our paddling videos. No stroke analisys or technical stuff. Just paddling for the fun of it.
Here's mine.
real fun starts at 3:45

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6748 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Re:Video thread
Allright. I'll see if this thread goes anywhere. This is some GoPro footage from Minnesota USA just a few days after the ice melted. Waves were not good for surfing but had fun anyway. Air 2C, water 1C, wind 30 kph. Requires a wetsuit or full drysuit.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6751 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:Video thread
Digital waterproof recorders are more affordable by the day. Picked up a Kodak Playsport from amazon for $ 100.00. Its small and compact and films in 1080 hd. It obviously wont compare with a $ 400 camera.

I know the helmet cam is the often used method to mount the camera but it is uncomfortable and looks crap.

I like the raised camera mounting from behind the paddler that offers a view over the paddler to the bow of the ski. Sticky pods can get you up to 2 feet extensions. There is a clip on youtube of a guy in Cape Town doing a blistering downwind filmed from a raised position behind the paddler.

Would love to get everyone's opinion this.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6755 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Re:Video thread
I recently got the go pro. with the headstrap mount I think it is very comfortable. I do not wear a helmet with it. I also use the suction cup mount and that is great too. As far a gopro vs other waterproof cameras, I am not sure which is better. Go pro is indestructible tiny and mounts to anything,and also has long battery life. However I am not a fan of the fish eye lens. It catches all of the action, which is nice, but it makes the waves appear small and distant. on a normal lens camera (like my friends panasonic lumix dmc-ts2, the waves appear much more impressive. Also, on that panasonic model the color comes out much better than my gopro HD. So i think that for some things go pro is the only way to go. Like if you also want to mount in on your mountain bike handle bars and race down hill. However for kayaking i think you can get away with a conventional waterproof digital camera. There is the "cleat" suction cup mount (kind of big). There is also a reverse gopro adapter that allows you to mount a normal camera on any of the gopro mounts. Hope that helps.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
12 years 11 months ago #6779 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic Re:Video thread
I until recently had the Oregon Scientific ATC9K - lost it after a race in the shore break :(

I found it was a great camera with some good features, and spewing I lost it!! :angry:

Two vids made are below, one with it mounted on a bike helmet, the other on a suction mount behind me.......

More
12 years 11 months ago #6780 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic Re:Video thread
Here's one I shot a month or so ago, also on the OregonATC9K off a 12" extension arm Sticky Pod. This was the first time I had my V12 out in moving water, a very friendly little break inside Botany Bay in Sydney:

and this one was about 18 months ago, and was the first time I had my V10S out in anything substantial (this is a Panasonic Lumix FT10 on the same Sticky Pod):

More
12 years 10 months ago #6996 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:Video thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nilson

More
12 years 9 months ago #7049 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re:Video thread
Quick vid I did a few weeks ago on Sydney Harbour.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7050 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re:Video thread
Here's a downwind we did in Sydney a few months ago. Nice southerly conditions in March, and blowing from 5.30am, bit out of character for Sydney at that time of year.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8138 by MuzLath
Replied by MuzLath on topic Re:Video thread
for everyone sick of the winter chill, here's a reminder just how pleasant summer paddling can be. and summer's just around the corner...

GingerNut run from Hillarys to Ocean Reef. Perth Western Australia.

filmed & edited by Hugh (Jorgan) Trenwith

More
12 years 5 months ago #8172 by Geofff
Replied by Geofff on topic Re: Video thread
Here's my site my son set up for me. Love the GoPro and can't wait until we get some winter swell!
www.youtube.com/gpaddling

More
12 years 4 months ago #8679 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic Re: Video thread
Some footage from Friday 11 Nov

Recorded on a Contour Roam + waterproof case.

I adjusted the laser a bit off hence the slight angle!!!

It also seems YouTube have an issue with sharing on mobile devices at present (I'm not the only one either, the youtube forum is flooding with questions on it)

So sorry I can't activate that option :(

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #8685 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re: Video thread
Thats brilliant! I want to go paddling now! I wrecked my ski beginning October and waiting for a new one to arrive - 8 days and counting. I'm in your neck of the woods next April and would love to join you guys on that run!

Cheers
S.S.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8688 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: Video thread
You guys have it easy in these warm places -;) Come October/Novemner here - time for winter gear...

More
12 years 4 months ago #8691 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic Re: Video thread
More than welcome

Just drop me a line before you are due :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #8692 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Re: Video thread
Here's a video from Lake Mille Lacs in Minnesota USA. Starts small, finishes big. I have the go pro on a suction mount and I passed the camera from boat to boat to get more variety of shots.

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #8693 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re: Video thread
Cheers will do!! Going to be between Perth, Busselton (or as the Saffas call it Busseldorp) and Margaret River wine region.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10275 by Kocho
One more downwinder from yesterday. Lots of nose burrying on this one due to the somewhat steeper than ideal waves. Still, some nice runs. I don't get to see 4 foot waves that often on the Chesapeake Bay, so I enjoyed it as a learning opportunity :)

Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Kocho.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10526 by Moll
Replied by Moll on topic Re: Video thread
Bah! all talk on the forum about stroke and technique, lightest ski's and 15kph paddles.

Here in Africa we do it at 70kph.........well not me but how awesome is this???

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #10676 by Kocho
One more from me today. Not a 68km/h but not very typical use of surfski either - did some mild white water today as a balance practice. Lots of fun and a good exercise...

Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by Kocho.

Latest Forum Topics