Video thread

More
9 years 4 months ago #22707 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Video thread
Having some fun on Stellar S18S

A vestibular disorder (balance issues) is keepng me out of some of my skis - so I bought this one to get out and have some fun...

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22708 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Video thread
A little friendly rivalry on a social paddle...

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #22817 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Cool drone footage
How cool is some of this drone footage!

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by AR_convert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erhard Katzer

More
9 years 3 months ago #22819 by David Grainger
Replied by David Grainger on topic Mako6 SloMo
A few rides last Sunday

More
9 years 3 months ago #22820 by David Grainger
Replied by David Grainger on topic 2nd try

More
9 years 3 months ago #22821 by David Grainger
Replied by David Grainger on topic Video thread
Looks like the "Link" icon in the toolbar doesn't work. This is the icon that looks like a globe with a chain link below it. To insert video just paste the URL into the message text - I tried using the link button and got butkus.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22826 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Video thread
Great stuff AR. Drone footage is much better than our boat mounts. It's just going to get better and better as the drones get more popular, easier to fly and cheaper. We will see some great footage in the coming years.

I'm eagerly anticipating a drone on a leash following me in downwind conditions. The tech is very close now. I've seen them on retractable dog leashes, all automatic, programmed ahead of time. Designed as a one person tracking unit. It takes a lot of the hassle out of controlling them.

I've learned a lot about downwinding by watching my vids with the speedometer. Super fun conditions last week. We had a 7 day stretch with great conditions on our south shore, which is much more user friendly than the north shore.

downwind dilettante

More
9 years 3 months ago #22827 by uk_exile
Replied by uk_exile on topic Video thread

LaPerouseBay wrote: Great stuff AR. Drone footage is much better than our boat mounts. It's just going to get better and better as the drones get more popular, easier to fly and cheaper. We will see some great footage in the coming years.

I'm eagerly anticipating a drone on a leash following me in downwind conditions. The tech is very close now. I've seen them on retractable dog leashes, all automatic, programmed ahead of time. Designed as a one person tracking unit. It takes a lot of the hassle out of controlling them.

Why a leash ? there's already follow me technology.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdog/aird...w-action-sports-dron
www.kickstarter.com/projects/sqdr/hexo-y...nomous-aerial-camera

More
9 years 3 months ago #22828 by Spacehopper
Replied by Spacehopper on topic Video thread
Some out and backs over the local sandbanks from a few weeks ago.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22884 by Cryder
Replied by Cryder on topic Video thread

uk_exile wrote:

LaPerouseBay wrote: Great stuff AR. Drone footage is much better than our boat mounts. It's just going to get better and better as the drones get more popular, easier to fly and cheaper. We will see some great footage in the coming years.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdog/aird...w-action-sports-dron
www.kickstarter.com/projects/sqdr/hexo-y...nomous-aerial-camera

Drones and high wind do not mix. Keeping a drone tethered could go a long way to simplifying the physics involved in tailing a ski in high wind.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22896 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Video thread

Cryder wrote:

uk_exile wrote:
Drones and high wind do not mix. Keeping a drone tethered could go a long way to simplifying the physics involved in tailing a ski in high wind.

Also, I'd like more flying time. Maybe they could run some power up that tether. Current battery time is 10 to 20 minutes. My downwinders are about an hour long. I'd be happy to set up a landing pad on the back of my ski to retrieve the unit after a 20 minute shoot in the best part of the run. But the drone would need prop guards and need to be water PROOF, not resistant.

Plus, I can't risk losing a drone and camera out at sea. Great footage, but that's a big chunk of change. I like the ocean for relaxation, not more stress.

Also, a tether gives a different vibe to the 'ol flying meat grinder effect for other paddlers. I've only been zoomed by a drone once when on the water and it freaked me out. Those things are strange. There are going to be some issues if they ever get popular. A tether may relax regulations as to where you can fly also. It's all fun until someone loses an eye!

In a nutshell, drones have a long way to go before I consider one. Great footage though.

downwind dilettante

More
9 years 3 months ago #22902 by WaveFighting
Replied by WaveFighting on topic Video thread
I would like to share our last contribution, including physics

Enjoy!

More
9 years 3 months ago #22903 by Joseph Di Chiacchio
Replied by Joseph Di Chiacchio on topic Video thread
Nice work! Like the use of the different angles.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22905 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Video thread

LaPerouseBay wrote:

Cryder wrote:

uk_exile wrote:

In a nutshell, drones have a long way to go before I consider one. Great footage though.

Kites on the other hand.......

Tracking cameras are available that would cope with the relative movement between kite and ski, all you need is a fairly low performance kite designed for stability, chuck it up at the start and recover at the end....

More
9 years 3 months ago #22906 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Video thread
But if you're going downwind the kite won't fly. Unless you're doing 15kts plus, the kite won't get airborne. Don't they need wind blowing against resistance to fly .....or am I missing something. If you're paddling in flat water it would work....but who cares.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22907 by Spacehopper
Replied by Spacehopper on topic Video thread

Dicko wrote: But if you're going downwind the kite won't fly. Unless you're doing 15kts plus, the kite won't get airborne. Don't they need wind blowing against resistance to fly .....or am I missing something. If you're paddling in flat water it would work....but who cares.

Say you've got 20-25kts of wind and the 'average' surfing speed of a ski is maybe 10kts, then you've still got 10-15kts of 'apparent' wind to fly the kite.

It would fly in front of the ski so the camera would need to look back. Wonder if the change in speed of the ski would cause the kite to change altitude - might make for an interesting effect on the video?

More
9 years 3 months ago #22909 by David Grainger
I don't think a kite would work. It would exert forces on an already unstable situation.

A few years ago I made a follow rig with 2 aluminum extension poles and a small ama to hold a camera for stroke analysis. The rig attached to the boat with large suction cups taped on the centerline of the deck. There was enough flex in the suction cups to allow the boat to tip. The poles were rigidly attached to the ama. It produced relatively stable footage, without any high tech stuff. I don't have any pictures of the rig, but here's some footage from it-

More
9 years 3 months ago #22911 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Video thread
The video is "private". You need to make it "public" or "unlisted" if you want to share it. We can't see it as it is.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22917 by David Grainger
Oops!
Thanks - here's one that should work

More
9 years 3 months ago #22930 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Video thread
Drones getting better, faster and cheaper.
www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-nano-gps-p...s-selfie-nano-drone/

Latest Forum Topics