Video thread

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #15973 by EK Sydney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #15976 by rambo
Some creative Gopro angles from 2 different Gopros. One has wide angle lens, the other a narrower custom lens. Footage was same day shot for a Molokai Documentary soon to be released.

Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by rambo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geofff

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #15979 by Cell
Replied by Cell on topic Re: Video thread

• Stanton
  • Visitor
11 years 2 weeks ago #15986 by Stanton
Replied by Stanton on topic Re: Video thread
EKS, are you paddling a new V10 in this vid? Love riding boat wakes, especially if you find a big slow moving sport fisherman. And love the Stevie Wonder tune.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #15987 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic Re: Video thread
Yes mate, a new V10. Ditto to Stevie, not heard often enough...!

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #15988 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Re: Video thread
Here is a short clip i made trying to capture the serene bliss of finding the sweet spot on even very small waves:

www.youtube.com/watch?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by zachhandler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EK Sydney, Watto

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #15997 by EK Sydney

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16003 by rambo

EK Sydney wrote: Swinging arm thingy Rambo...?

Haha, no just a 20 ft pole and one crazy boat driver, not the sort of thing I could do in a race situation.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16479 by zachhandler
Here is a video I offer as a curiosity piece to those in warmer climes. When freshwater ice melts in the spring it eventually forms these delicate geometric columns that can be easily separated, and in fact paddled through. If you watch it on youtube in HD then you can see the fine structure of the ice much better.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by zachhandler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16516 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Re: Video thread
Love the ice. That looks like fun.

We get excellent wind here on Maui.

north shore, maliko run.

edit: here's the garmin connect for the maliko

connect.garmin.com/player/303360923

south shore. smaller fetch, more groomed.

downwind dilettante
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by LaPerouseBay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
10 years 11 months ago #16519 by zachhandler
I would trade my ice for your waves any day.

How did you get the GPS data on the video in the first video?

More
10 years 11 months ago #16530 by LaPerouseBay
The good news about all that data on the video is that it's very easy to do. I was worried it might be too much for me, but it's simple.

Here's the program.

www.dashware.net/

I use a gopro3 white edition. I film the entire run, starting the camera and garmin 305 (at the same time) on the beach. This helps to synchronize the data. Of course, Dashware has tools to synchronize the two, but I keep it simple.

Prepping the video file created by gopro is very easy. Dashware requires one continuous file. I shoot at 1080/30 - gopro files are 15 minutes long. I'll have about 5 of them on a typical run. So, they need to be joined. Here's a great program to do it. It's free, and exceptionally easy to use. Very stable. It also has some color and contrast features, but I never use them because it takes my computer a LONG time to render. Joining 5 files is about 5 minutes. Open the program, set output format to mp4 muxer (because gopro files are mp4 - your camera may vary, use the same format so it's just a copy), drag and drop your gopro files one by one into the work area, save the file, done. There is a youtube video or two out there on the steps. It's super easy.

download.cnet.com/Avidemux/3000-13631_4-10829933.html

Creating the garmin file is much easier. I just hit 'file' and choose 'export 5-2-13'. That's it. The file is ready for use by dashware.

Ok, now you have two files ready to plug into dashware. Open it and go to the 'help' tab. choose 'show me how to' 'create a video and data project'. It will walk you through the steps. You will load your video file, then the data file. Then create your gauges. (Save them as a template eventually). Then you will synchronize the two (which you already did on the beach), uncheck the 'closed course' set a start point. It has a nice big adjustable screen to edit clips. You can watch the run, move the 'start' and 'finish' pointers on the time line to choose a segment. Hit create video, and dashware will render it for you.

Then take those clips and use your editor to publish, I use windows movie maker.

I've learned a lot about downwinding from that speedometer. We all want to maintain hull speed. That speedo shows it in real time. Be sure to set your garmin to the higher sample rate. The more info the better.

Here's a cool screen grab from that same run. A wave snuck up on me as I was zooming along, gentle nudge on the side. Ski's are so awesome - minor loss of speed and a hat adjustment. Note the garmin on my hat - better radio signal and it's drier up there!

File Attachment:

downwind dilettante

More
10 years 11 months ago #16614 by zachhandler
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I will definately try it out. I assume it can display heart rate as well if you choose? That would make for great race videos.

I have become less exacting with my video edits over the past few years. Initially I would spend hours creating a 5 minute video. I have tried to streamline my processes. I do final edits in iMovie (on a mac), but have learned to do the rough cuts on quicktime pro. Sounds like I could do the rough cutting with dashware instead.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16623 by LaPerouseBay
Yes, dashware supports heart rate, power meters and stroke rate.

And yes, rough cutting is done on dashware. You will 'create' small clips then load them into imovie.

downwind dilettante

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16628 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re: Video thread
@LaPerouseBay - love your videos, I follow that monster thread over at Standupzone. Here's one I did this weekend when the winds were up. Looks much better at 1080p fullscreen:

Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by postal256.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EK Sydney, Watto

More
10 years 11 months ago #16633 by LaPerouseBay
Nice video, I like the angle. Those waves are steep!

downwind dilettante

More
10 years 11 months ago #16648 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Re: Video thread
Late reply to zachhandler ice video, brilliant mate, almost incomprehensible how cold that water would be. Autumn here and you could pretty much make a warm cuppa tea with Swan River water at the moment. Much appreciated.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16684 by KruxNorth
Replied by KruxNorth on topic Re: Video thread
Just to prove that we do have occasional downwind conditions in the Pacific Northwest!

See: vimeo.com/65739124
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbflat

More
10 years 11 months ago #16697 by WaveFighting
Replied by WaveFighting on topic Re: Video thread
Here is anoother one, just for fun!.
Here we have this sun throughout the year.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16700 by EK Sydney
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by EK Sydney.

Latest Forum Topics