Video thread

More
6 years 7 months ago #29428 by Kiwi Dave
Replied by Kiwi Dave on topic Video thread
A small video from a quick paddle myself and a friend did last night in about 20kt out from Takapuna, Auckland NZ. The heart rate tells the story of not paddling seriously for 2 months post new baby and then 4x wisdom teeth being removed :P

The second one is where I almost plow straight into a buoy at speed, looks a lot less frightening on camera.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29461 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Video thread

downwind dilettante

More
6 years 7 months ago #29492 by LaPerouseBay

downwind dilettante

More
6 years 7 months ago #29544 by coastbouy
Replied by coastbouy on topic Video thread
Here is a short video from a few weeks ago when two friends and I traveled up to the "Gorge" (Columbia River Gorge) to participate in the Gorge Downwind Champs. The video is from the day after the race so we were just having fun and enjoying ourselves. The conditions were not "super epic" but in any case we had fun, as well as many many others who came to participate (about 412). It was an all inclusive event which had surfski, OC and SUP categories. Its a place were you paddle upstream with the wind and catch the waves that form from the interaction between the water current and wind going in opposite directions The water was warm (at least compared to what I'm used to! ) and the air temps were in the 70s-80s. We had a great time and want to back next year!
Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #29546 by coastbouy
Well......I was unable to successfully upload the video sorry about that! It was just a short clip. I'll have to get back to you all on this!

More
6 years 7 months ago #29582 by peteski
Replied by peteski on topic Video thread
My 50th Millers Run, done in a 20knt SE last Sunday

Fennix Swordfish S - Carbon Hybrid

More
6 years 7 months ago #29584 by @NachoSoler94
Replied by @NachoSoler94 on topic Video thread
Here you have some downwind action from early 2017 in Gran Canaria, sunny 22ºC average temp. all year round :)

ENJOY

The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto, Uffilation

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29605 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Video thread
Thanks LaPerouseBay for 8 12 17 very peaceful soulful paddling and backing - very Zen. What's the music?
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Watto. Reason: Punctuation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29608 by LaPerouseBay
Thanks Watto, glad you enjoyed it. The music is from youtube's video manager, it's a free service they have. They allow me to listen to a small selection of music by genre and allow me to match the length of the music to the video. I pick one, they add it. No ads, no attributes, no hassle. I don't know how to add mp3 files yet.

I'll get to that someday. For now it's all about the garmin overlay. I have my template and workflow streamlined to a few clicks, maybe I'll learn how to add music next.

FYI, I'm trying to paddle as efficiently as possible, low effort, watching for the smart lines. Very tricky. Much to learn. Boyan is my biggest hero. He absolutely flies in a stable boat. Nice of him to put it on video to help us less talented paddlers.

The whole point of that little speed graph in the corner is to verify my choice of direction. It is 10 sec. of what is coming up in the video. I look ahead and note what the water is doing, and how I respond. If that speed line holds steady or increases - good direction/good choice. If the speed line goes way down, bad direction/bad choice. I may push it out to 15 seconds.

Whoops - the music is Kevin MacLeod, 'Eastminster' :)

downwind dilettante

More
6 years 7 months ago #29641 by LaPerouseBay

downwind dilettante

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29644 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic Video thread
A novelty run in Sydney that only works when we have a ridiculous westerly, which is also the strongest & most unpredicatble wind we get. Nowhere near the ocean until the very end but pretty fierce in the winds we had served up.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by EK Sydney.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29648 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Video thread
Wow thats windy. Great video and lovely runners to downwind on
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Rod Thomas.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29666 by LaPerouseBay
Ho boy did I get beat by the ocean yesterday. Some greatest hits here in this video, but it was mostly getting my ass kicked, trying to catch stuff I can't catch. Brutal day. The bad stuff I don't publish clearly shows I have a lot to fix. Thanks to all the pros that helped me see it.

downwind dilettante

• kobicohen33
  • Visitor
6 years 7 months ago #29691 by kobicohen33
Replied by kobicohen33 on topic Video thread
Hey, what camera do you have on your head?

More
6 years 7 months ago #29692 by Hacker Mike
Replied by Hacker Mike on topic Video thread
Nice vid there Pete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peteski

More
6 years 7 months ago #29695 by LaPerouseBay
shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero-session/CHDHS-104-master.html

I use the less expensive version of the session. 1080/60, medium. Distortion of the waves is typical of gopro medium, but I like the cheap price and small size. It's good enough for what I do.

The session 5 is $300 and has a setting I'd like to try someday, called linear. They claim it removes the fisheye effect. I'll try that when the 6 comes out and the 5 is is less expensive.

Gopro is more oriented for selfie type shots, that's their big market. It's always had horrible distortion for downwind video, but it's getting better now that the drones are shooting from distance. The waves in my videos are much, much bigger than they appear.

I've seen footage from a gopro 5 black head cam in downwind, shooting 4k and it's amazing. Very realistic. but I'm not spending 400 vs. 150 for that view.

downwind dilettante

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29794 by Spacehopper
Replied by Spacehopper on topic Video thread
Racing the V8 double...aka 'the paddling pool'

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Spacehopper.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29829 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Video thread
Big Wave Surfski in Cape Town, South Africa... This is crazy stuff. Very scary break, I wouldn't do this - but then I'm not an elite (and crazy) paddler!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro, Watto, Rod Thomas

More
6 years 6 months ago #29831 by LaPerouseBay
Wow, mad skills. They sure make that look easy.

BTW, that's Dawid and Jasper Mocke, and Kyle Friedenstein. Love the drone view.

downwind dilettante

More
6 years 6 months ago #29878 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Video thread
And... another big wave video. Slightly different, the wave is a lot less hectic, but it's also a lot longer. This is Richard von Wildemann riding the wave at Cape Recife, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics