Is Epic V10 outdated ?

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #21260 by Coast Steve
Replied by Coast Steve on topic Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Hi gang,

New to the forum and it looks like I'll be learning lots.

Now I do have a question, I have an elite V10...the old model.
My question is, how does it compare to the same model but the brand new one?

Slower? tippy?

I came from an old V10 Sport.

I would think if the old V10 is more tippy, it should then be faster ..no?

Thanks,

Steve

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Coast Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21261 by [email protected]
I have the new V10 Ultra.

I paddled both boats one after the other last year in Mauritius and can report that the direct comparison for me was:

- The old boat was much more tippy
- The old boat was more difficult to remount because of the high rails
- The new boat is much more comfortable for me (my backside is incompatible with the old bucket shape, I'd get chafed coccyx in minutes).
- The new hull is completely redesigned.

According to Oscar, the new shape's theoretical hull speed is slightly faster than the old shape. But to me, as a mid-pack hacker, the increased stability is likely to have a far greater impact on the speed i.e. I suspect I'm faster on the new boat just because I can paddle it more easily. But I wasn't able to do any time trials with the two boats to compare so I can't say for sure.

I can say that the two boats feel very different in downwind conditions - the new boat has far less volume both fore and aft.

I'm not paddling my V10 much, however, simply because my Evo II is so very stable and easy to paddle. The new V10 is still an elite level ski, despite the increased stability, and although I don't feel as though I'm in danger of falling out of it, I guess I'm just not up to it... In the rough, short, steep wind generated swell of a Millers Run, I am simply faster on the more stable Evo II.

But the reviews (like the one on the site) speak to the new V10 being faster than the old one in competent hands, so I'll be interested to hear what others think.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 7 months ago #21285 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Rob, I understood the EVO II and V10 2G to be very similar in stability and speed. Do you have different layups for each?

More
9 years 7 months ago #21286 by [email protected]
V10 Ultra - about 12kg and hybrid Evo II about 13kg, not much difference.

Stability is not really the issue - it's more that for me the V10 just feels different.

Something I forgot to mention - shortly after I got the V10 I did a "reverse Millers" downwind in it on a day when the runs were long and clean and I did the fastest run ever, beating a friend who normally stays with me by about 5min; I was changed before he arrived.

What felt different about that run was that once I got the V10 up to speed, I would stay on the run for long sequence, keeping the momentum going. It was incredible.

Normally we have quite a bit of cross chop and in those conditions I normally find the Evo II easier to paddle.

However... this season I've done a couple of 21km "reverse Buffels" runs, which include the reverse Millers but go on for another 9km to Buffels Bay in the Cape Point Nature Reserve. I've noticed that every time, there's a section between Millers Point and Smitswinkel Bay where I seem to lose my rhythm on the Evo II - it feels as though I'm wallowing, and the guys around me (yesterday a friend on a Mako6) seem to be able to stay on the runs in the messy water. I don't know if I then try to hard, or what it is, but I just get dropped right there - really frustrating. After Smits, the runs tend to clean up a bit, and then I get going again. Maybe it's just me feeling wobbly, but I don't think so - I'm trying so hard I get out breath... I dunno!

One of those mysteries.

But that's what makes this game fascinating.

(Oscar reckons I should be on the new V10 Sport, but I haven't had the chance to try one yet.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #21289 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic Is Epic V10 outdated ?
IMO the 2G v10 is more like the think ion in speed / stability
& the 2G v10 sport is more like the think evo in speed / stability

paddled the 2G v10 sport for 90min in the ocean this last weekend & was so impressed with this ski's comfort - it is a fun ski to paddle & altho' I bought this ski for my father in law & wife, I can see myself choosing this on bigger downwind paddles just because it is so enjoyable to paddle. the front half feels as slim as the new v10 & its' cutaways decks make it a pleasure to paddle.

I am not pushing one brand over another, just suggesting that those looking for a ski try them all & work out for themselves what offers the greatest comfort, speed / stability, affordability balance.

we are fortunate to have so many great options nowadays...........it just becomes difficult to choose :-)

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by tony h.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #21298 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Is Epic V10 outdated ?
"Hi gang,

New to the forum and it looks like I'll be learning lots.

Now I do have a question, I have an elite V10...the old model.
My question is, how does it compare to the same model but the brand new one?

Slower? tippy?

I came from an old V10 Sport.

I would think if the old V10 is more tippy, it should then be faster ..no?"

IMO, the old V10 is every bit as fast and stable on downwind runs as the new one. The new V10 is a hair better on the flatwater only because you can close the scupper, thus decreasing drag. With the scupper open half-way, the flatwater speed is about the same. In choppy water, the new V10 offers much more secondary stability and in side-wind, cross-wind conditions, the new V10 is easier to control and manage. The new one is also easier to remount.

I train on a 23 lb V12 and a 26 lb new V10. I just can't tell any difference in flatwater speed on my gps on 1 mile (1.6 km) intervals done at about 8.0 mph pace(12.8 kph) - even though the V12 feels like it's going faster... Erik
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by nell.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21299 by charles.nadia96
I just watched Oscar Chalupsky crush V14's, V12's, Think Uno, Nelo k-1's, and Huki OC-2's in a V10. With that being said. Looks like they are still up to date. This was a 6 mile race called the paddle grapple. I would have loved to race my SEI there but silly shoulder surgery.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21301 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic Is Epic V10 outdated ?
impressive win by 50+yr old in a flat water race in 2G v10 against that sort of competition !!
Charles note this thread is 1yr 9mths old, so original title referenced old 1G v10 which has now being superseded by the v10 Oscar was paddling in this race - unfortunately for me, it is ultimately the engine that determines the boat speed.........flat water speeds for me vary about 1km.hr, going from v8 to v14 & about 0.1km.hr going from v10 to v14.

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

Latest Forum Topics