Is Epic V10 outdated ?

More
11 years 5 months ago #13875 by surfski987
Hello surfers,
does anyone can tell me if the V10 ( not V10 sport) is outdated or it is always among the best kayaks?
And why?

thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: ccorrigan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13881 by Rightarmbad
No, it still offers a blend of speed and stability that is as competitive today as it was when it was released.

There are faster flat water boats and a few that perform better in some open water conditions, but overall it is still current.
It is a good design.

Just don't buy one in Australia.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
The following user(s) said Thank You: surfski987

More
11 years 5 months ago #13893 by Kayaker Greg
When I started two years ago, seemed like just about everyone around here had an Epic V10, now hardly anyone seems too, but no its not out dated, people have just moved onto different skis for their own reason, some people I know are changing their skis every few months. Not sure where the Epics are going to die?

More
11 years 5 months ago #13894 by surfski987
I have the opportunity to buy a new V10 Ultra (old model made ​​by Flying Eagle Factory).
I do not know if I have to go my way because the V10 is an old model and that other manufacturers have improved their design.
Several friends have told me that the quality of Epic was bad. Lots of breaks. And other problems.
I'm not a fan of the V12.
Thank you K.G and R.A.B for your help.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #13895 by Kayaker Greg
I had the Epic V10L black nose and the quality and finish was very good, other than I found the foot plate used to slip, the only reason I moved on is the height of the leg hump was too high and I felt like I was always paddling up hill for some reason.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13896 by Rightarmbad
Surfski987, all brands have had their share of build problems, the difference is whether they sort it out promptly or just throw you down the money pit.

I actually think that the Epic V10 did a lot for lifting the general standard of fitout and finish for surfski when it came out.

Have a chat with other paddlers in your area, you will soon see what sort of back up service is available on various brands.
I've learnt the hard way who stands by their products and who doesn't.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 5 months ago #13899 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Very interesting that you think the V10 is outdated, they are still copying it!

Very few other brand have been copyied to my knowledge, paddles included.

Epic are also one of the only manufacturers to have 7 models in their line-up with another 2 comming out before years end, that is for surf skis only. All are for different purposes and ability levels.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13901 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?

Wally wrote: Very interesting that you think the V10 is outdated, they are still copying it!

Can you tell me which manufacturers have copied the V10 Wally?

More
11 years 5 months ago #13903 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
I think the v10 is still very current. The only thing against it is an increase in competition. When the v10 first came out you either bought a v10 or a mako 6. Nowdays there is a lot more choice. Maybe the v10 and the sport need a makeover. Narrow the catch on the sport,
different colour scheme.
Still both great boats and whereas they used to command top dollar second hand. The increase in the number of boats has led to a drop in prices. Makes them an attractive entry point when you can get a good used v10 for $1500.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13905 by Rob1
Replied by Rob1 on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Wally,

Any information about the 2 different skis epic are going to release? Will they be elite level
skis, beginners etc etc?

More
11 years 5 months ago #13917 by Metro
Replied by Metro on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Superted, in answer to your question both Vajda and DD3 have flopped V10s.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13923 by Wally
The V14 is going to be raced at the Dragon run in Hong Kong, this is a top end super fast narrow ski. The other is still under wraps, wait and see!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ErikE

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #13926 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?

Wally wrote: Very interesting that you think the V10 is outdated, they are still copying it!

Metro wrote: Superted, in answer to your question both Vajda and DD3 have flopped V10s.

Wally can you confirm what metro is saying since you raised the point?
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by superted.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13927 by surfski987
Hello,

if epic has released the V12 it is probably because there was something missing in V10 and V14 will be released maybe to correct defects with the V12.
So we can say that science advances, and the kayak will be more efficient.
Fenn will also get new models of Elite it seems.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13930 by Wally
You obvoiusly dont know ski`s very well, that you assume because a new model is out the old has something wrong with it. This might be the case for other manufacturers but not Epic. The V14 is nothing like the V10 or V12, likewise the V10 is nothing like the V12 they have different purposes and are made for different abilities and conditions.
It`s like saying the S class Merc was brought out because the E class had something wrong with it.
The V14 is super fast narrow and more tippy than any other Epic.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13931 by surfski987
"The V14 is super fast narrow and more tippy than any other Epic"

How do you know that ? Are you an Epic dealer ? Did you try it ?
Do you have some pictures ?
Remember what epic said about V12. It is 4% faster than the V10.

Short,I assume what I think, if a manufacturer released a new design, it is based on feedback from professional paddlers. He adjusts for example the rocker, the length, the position of the fin ....
short he improves his surfski to sell it as bread and to make the paddlers happy :-)))

More
11 years 5 months ago #13933 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Wally, it sounds like you are sailing under the Epic flag somehow. Good for you, but unsupported statements are just "confusing"

More
11 years 5 months ago #13934 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Wally's brother owns Epic. He also repairs ski's damn well. He is a trifle biased towards Epic but that is to be expected. He is also a better than average paddler himself. So if Walter says there's a v14 coming and it's tippy, there's probably a tippy v14 coming.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13935 by Wally
I make no bones that I support and sell Epic skis.

The V12 is faster than the V10, but it is baised toward flatter smaller conditions, the V10 is designed for big downwind conditions.

I have been involved in the making of the V14 and know what it looks like. I will be able to paddle it in calm conditions but it will be too tippy for me in rougher conditions.

The biggest problem with a brand new ski is that it is untested, you can do all the sums you like but as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Hong Kong Dragon run will be its first outing in a race.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13936 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Well than it is good to know, that Epic is present on these pages. The availability of people linked to the manufactureres is a benefit for the paddlers and the makers, ref the valuable feedback from Stew and Think.

But I suggest Wally do himself and us all a favour and add a byline to his signature, to show his link to Epic so that forum users outside this topic is informed.

Looking forward to reading Wally's input going forward :)

Latest Forum Topics