The holy grail of surfski design - ultimately ...

More
6 years 7 months ago #29620 by Ole
Hi Boyan,

congratulations, the best marketing campaign I have seen for a long time!!!
And the message is just right! Safety first!
We learn that in many other sports and it can't be emphasised often enough!! Well done!

Ole

Ozean OSS3 SL, OSS4 SL, OSS1

Previously: Fenn Elite Glide, DD3 Albatross (2x), Vajda Hawx 43, Think Uno Max, Think Evo II, Epic V8, Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 sports

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29621 by topswimmer
GENIUS! What a great idea to market a concept rather than an actual product. As a novice I can relate to the sentiments Boyan is trying to push. I started off in a V8 & after a year thought I was ready for "something faster, I bought an NK Squall a great boat in it's own right but a level above what I was capable of. It was a negative experience most times I went out & I even put it up for sale as I had ceased to enjoy going for a paddle. Luckily I stuck with it but it has taken 3 years to get comfortable to the same extent as I was I the V8. Lesson learned the hard (& slow way ).
Bravo Boyan

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29622 by Uffilation
yeah, that mirror <> window thingy though for some :whistle:

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Uffilation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29623 by Sinkme
My 2 cents:

Wide tail.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29624 by Sinkme
Looking at the internet for 3 more minutes, just lost 2 cents,,,,

More
6 years 7 months ago #29625 by nell
I think a carbon vacuum bagged V5 would be awfully fun to use on a good DW. Is that what it was or something very similar? Must be 6 kg?
EBorgnes

More
6 years 7 months ago #29626 by LakeMan
It was a PSA (public service announcement) for surfski safety. The ski doesn't exist.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 7 months ago #29627 by nell
Nope, I'm pretty sure that my eyes aren't fooling me. That looks like a V5 GT in Boyan's facebook video / 600 reveal. Boyan? Special order?
EBorgnes

More
6 years 7 months ago #29628 by sandysan
There is no physical 600 boat. It was a sham to advance the notion that slow and stable DW runs can be fun, and that if you can get people into uber stable boats that so long as they have fun, their speed and form are both moot.

There is no physical boat and there never will be. It was a social media campaign to suggest that people stop worrying about the desire to go fast and ride whatever you can on dw runs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
6 years 7 months ago #29629 by Boyan Zlatarev
Hi Sandysan
the Surfski 600 campaign suggests the exact opposite. The boat exists but most people are blinded by their obsession for theoretical speed gain, which results in practical speed loss or unnecessary risk exposure.

For me Surfski 600 is V5 in light carbon construction. For someone else it could be other model from another brand.

The point is to focus on stability and fun and stop obsessing on marginal speed improvements.

The other point is to bring attention to advertisers what claims they make and how those claims impact (confuse) the potential buyer.

Being sad that a fictional boat doesn't exist is probably a sign that there is too much hope for a product to deliver the ultimate experience where change of mind set and some work on the personal skills could deliver a lot better results.

Best Regards
Boyan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spacehopper

More
6 years 7 months ago #29630 by Boyan Zlatarev
Hi EBorgnes,
Yes the boat is V5 GT.

When I resigned with Epic they were very kind to suggest that I pick a boat they could make for me in light construction as a farewell present from the team.

They were suggesting V12 but I asked if they could please make me a V5.

It is the most accelerating experience I have had on water. :)

All statistics that I posted in the buildup of Surfski 600 were real statistics from paddling "the slowest" surfski you could buy.

In that regard I classify V8 and equivalents from other brands to be fast boats but the vast majority of people think they are not suitable as they are "beginners" boats.

Best regards
Boyan

More
6 years 7 months ago #29631 by Boyan Zlatarev
Hi LakeMan,
please allow me to correct,
It was an OYEA (open your eyes announcement) to see the opportunity that already exists in the form of super stable and fun boats.
Brighten up!
Boyan

More
6 years 7 months ago #29632 by Boyan Zlatarev

More
6 years 7 months ago #29633 by Boyan Zlatarev
Thanks for sharing Topswimmer!

I have a friend who upgraded from V8 to V14 in search of speed improvement going through every model that existed in between.

His fastest time of all was in the V8. He only paddled inland on flat water. His speed comparison was done at a 10 km loop in the lake.

This is not one person but many others that think that buying a faster model means going faster...immediately.

Thanks again!
Boyan

More
6 years 7 months ago #29634 by LakeMan
Hey Boyan,
I'm brightened already just by your cheery posts.

I think a light V5 is a great idea. Although it wouldn't work for me because I'm mainly a flatwater guy but for the ocean DW I'd snag one up.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29635 by Uffilation
Sandysan,

"It was a sham to advance the notion that slow and stable DW runs can be fun"

should be

"It was a sham to advance the notion that stable DW runs can be fun and fast" ?

Boyans fastest this week was 3:09 min. per km DW on that V5 GT

"Learniung how to got sub 3:20 min. per km DW", Nelo 560

Here an old video with Boyan in the V5 PE

yep, that boat is a pig in flat water though ...

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29636 by Uffilation
a tribute to two smart people ... > a while back ...

www.surfski.info/forum/attachment/1785
Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #29637 by sandysan
Tomato tomahto.

The question is not whether he would be faster, the question is whether he would enjoy it more.
If he says "no" good for him. But some people would say yes and to the thhe promise of faster and more stable was a ruse going in.

I don't know many people who like being deceived. But if those people are not his audience then they are not his audience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29638 by Boyan Zlatarev
Hey Sandysan
on the subject of "being deceived".

Let's imagine there was no deception in the delivery and let's say that somehow the message found you and you read:

"You know what, maybe if you focus less on fictional speed improvement you will have better time on water using more stable boat."

Would your answer to this be more likely:

1. Oh wow, this is such a great approach and i really like that the message was delivered to me with zero deception, i will definitely try this approach.

or maybe something like

2. Yeah fine but i don't really care about this message but still i will praise the author for delivering it without any deception.

or

3. The message means nothing to me no matter how it's delivered. I like what i'm doing and i don't need to change.

I call selection of words of instructions or advise "triggers". Different people get to the same conclusion being triggered by different words (approach). Some people will never be triggered to a change and this is entirely their choice.

I think that a great sunny day for some could be miserable hot day for others and I know i can't change that...i can only try to get more people to see it as a great sunny day but at the end it is still their decision and their right to decide.

Best Regards
Boyan
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Boyan Zlatarev.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29639 by sandysan
Oh the tangled Web we weave when we practice to deceive.

If you can only get people to consider your position by deceit, what does that say about your position?

If you were trying to get people to not chase a rocket ski for dw ( and to be honest if they want to go fast what's it to you?) then come out and say it. Don't invent a vaporware boat that you make crazy claims about, string peoplee along and then yell GOTCHA and think everyone will be okay with it.

It looks like many are, but going in you must have known this was a reasonable possibility. But as for your sunny day analogy, I guess the ends justify the means.

I'm not looking to hear something to make me feel better, I'm looking for a straight shooter so that I can make that determination about relative merits. You shouldn't get to make that determination for me by lying about a "product" you knew was a fairy tale.

But again, to each his own. If you are OK with tansparent deception, that's your choice.

Latest Forum Topics