McGregor Classic Ski

More
4 years 8 months ago #34871 by brokewolf
Replied by brokewolf on topic McGregor Classic Ski
I was able to acquire a used Classic about a week ago. What can say, I Like this ski!!!
i have clocked about 50 miles on it so far. This ski paddles effortlessly and fast.
I am 63 yrs old, 5’7” @ 150 lbs. I used a cushion to between my protruding backbone and seat back. This positions me nice and snug and make me and the ski feel like a one piece unit.
My only problem is my other skis are probably gonna be paperweights now.
Thanks Bruce, good job Lee

Present skis
Mcgregor Classic
Nelo 560 ML
Stellar 1st gen SES

Past skis
Epic 1st gen V12
Cobra SurfSki

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34877 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Brokewolf - congrats on finding a ski that excites you!

i am very curious to know how the classic is downwind. I know it is an outstanding flatwater racing ski. Having paddled it just once I remember K1-like acceleration, but i also remember thinking  it might be a handful in chop. 

I am also curious to hear you compare it to your 560 ml. That is another ski that i tried once and recall as great at accelerating, very fast on the flat, but i suspect a bit more challenging than other elite skis in confused conditions. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
4 years 8 months ago #34883 by brokewolf
Good morning Zachandler,
 Unfortunately most of my paddling is in flat water. I do get to catch boat wakes at times and the Nelo  does very well. So far I haven’t had the chance in the Classic yet. The Classic may be a little more tippy, but probably won’t feel in difference with just a little more time . The Classic glides so much better, where the Nelo feels like it dragging a little.  It makes paddling the Classic so much less tiresome.
i I have sciatic nerve problem, and my left leg start hurting bad after a hour in the Nelo, (the Epic V12 took about 15 minutes and I had to get out of it. With the Classic I can stay in it all day without pain, but that’s me.
For me it is hard to judge any ski with a short test drive. I think you  can learn the stability issues with time in any ski. For me, I feel right in the Classic.
happy paddling,
Bill

More
4 years 3 months ago #35827 by Karel
Replied by Karel on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Hi,
I'm considering to buy a Mc Gregor ski. However, I won't be able to try before buying.
Can anybody tell me if these boats are suitable for tall persons (I'm 196 cm, 6feet 5inches).

Also looking for more information on the Mc Gregor mkII ski. Anybody has tried that boat?

Thanks for sharing,
Karel

More
4 years 3 months ago #35828 by brokewolf
Hi Karel,
If you Are near New Orleans, you can test mine. I’m only 5’ 7” so I would not be a good judge, but Lee is a pretty tall fellow, so I’m thinking you would be alright.
Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karel

More
4 years 3 months ago #35829 by Karel
Thanks Bill, but  I'm based in Belgium...

More
4 years 3 months ago #35831 by Karel
Hi,

Due to my length (196cm, 6feet 5 inch) I'm hesitating to order a Knysna surfski.
Currently I paddle a Nelo 550 and for comparison I made the attached picture:

There you see that the bucket of a Knysna ski is substantially shorter than the Nelo so I'm pretty sure that I won't fit.
From the pictures I see that both Rythm and Classic have the same bucket length. There is also the new MKII but I can't find a good picture of it to compare the buckets.

Is there any tall guy out there that has tried the Rythm/Classic/MKII and that can agree/disagree with my conclusion?

Happy paddling!
Karel
Attachments:

• Lee
  • Visitor
4 years 3 months ago #35832 by Lee
Replied by Lee on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Hi Karel

If you need any specific information on the Mc Gregor skis please contact me directly on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Regards
Lee

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #35833 by Mplatt
Replied by Mplatt on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Hi Karel, I paddle Lee's Rythym and it is by far the most comfortable boat I've sat in. I'm 6'3, 34" inseam and around 210lbs. I have one more notch (adjustment) bow side of the footboards. There is room to move the rails forward another inch if need be. Volume wise not a problem.  

I'll try and attach a couple of pics. 

Hope this helps,
Mark
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Mplatt.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35834 by Karel
Hi,

Thanks for sharing! That sounds like I should be able to fit in. Although it will be on the limit.

I guess that I can ask the people at Knysna to install the footrest rails at he far end of the bucket.

I've also contacted Lee and based on his input I'll have to decide.

Have a nice end-of-year,
Karel

More
4 years 3 months ago #35848 by Karel
Hi Lee,

I've sent you some e-mails but I did not get a reply so I guess that something went wrong with those messages. I basically have two questions:
- are there other tall paddlers (at least 196cm) using the classic or the MKII
- how should I choose between classic/MKII ? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?      

Thanks and best regards,
Karel 

Latest Forum Topics