McGregor Classic Ski

More
6 years 1 week ago #31220 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic McGregor Classic Ski
41 cm beam is half way between that of an Epic v14 and a Nelo Cinco k1. You better have skills if you are going to take a Classic out in waves!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #31221 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Just received Rhythm to go with my Classic - at 84kg I am at the transition point & sought out the Rhythm for some extra stability in the ocean as the classic is too tippy for me once conditions get more than mild! Very impressed with Rhythm & agree it adds about 30% improvement in stability & seat comfort. Only criticism is I would choose an extra layer of carbon for strength needed for paddling in& out of the surf breaks here.
Stability for these two a little less than the elite s & swordfish respectively

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by tony h.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31223 by carlosct
Replied by carlosct on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Hello, I live in Cartagena Spain.
I have already spoken with the knysna distributor, which is in Asturias 900 km from my house, and also with a person from Palma de Mallorca who sells a Rithm that I bought 7 months ago.
Now I go out with an Elite S and I feel quite comfortable in waves, bounce etc.
I am interested in the Classic to continue acquiring skills and for flat or small conditions.

Currently: Fenn Elite S, Nelo 560 L-2021, Mazu Pro Elite 2.
Previously: Mazu Fitness, Mazu Pro, Think Uno.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31224 by carlosct
Replied by carlosct on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Hello, when you compare the stability of the Elite S with the Classic, do you do it in flat conditions or in general?
Thank you.
A greeting.

Currently: Fenn Elite S, Nelo 560 L-2021, Mazu Pro Elite 2.
Previously: Mazu Fitness, Mazu Pro, Think Uno.

• Lee
  • Visitor
6 years 1 week ago #31226 by Lee
Replied by Lee on topic McGregor Classic Ski
I can't understand how anybody wants more carbon in a Knysna Racing Mc Gregor ski. Based here in Durban, South Africa and going in and out through the surf everyday, I know of no ski that has cracked or broken in the waves. And the waves here are as big and bigger as anywhere in the world ..... ?

• Lee
  • Visitor
6 years 1 week ago #31227 by Lee
Hi Carlos

For downwind paddling the Elite S is a wonderful boat. For flat water conditions the Classic is faster. Faster means easier to pull through the water. The Elite S has a lower seat than the Classic and therefore feels more stable. If you are under 85 kg and you are racing in a flat Mediterranean sea, I would be very interested to find a boat that is faster than a Classic. Again it is up to different peoples' choices.

More
6 years 6 days ago #31240 by tony h
Hi Lee, send me your email address & I can send some pics to describe my experience. At 9.1kg it certainly is a lite ski. Thanks, Tony

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
6 years 6 days ago #31241 by tony h
good looking skis & well priced - worth trying out...... red/white classic & green/black rhythm

Attachments:

More
6 years 6 days ago #31242 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Hi Tony
Understand that you are you selling your Classic and Rythm. Keen to hear why as I was thinking about the Rythm as an alternative to getting a 2G v12, and how it compares to the skis you will prefer going forward.
Thanks

More
6 years 6 days ago #31243 by tony h
hi Frederick, no intention of selling classic & rhythm - I like them both. I enjoy the classic for flat water & calm ocean paddling - very fast, good wave riding, nice K1 like feel, with surprising stability. Have purchased the Rhythm to get a bit more stability for off shore downwind paddling & haven't had enough experience in it to pass on any valid experience, suffice to say it seemed excellent in a flat water session x1. There are a lot of good craft out there & having paddled the v12G2 & v10G3, feel the McGregor pair offer me more at this stage. Love buying & trying ski's out so time will tell. Best wishes

The following user(s) said Thank You: fredrik

• Lee
  • Visitor
6 years 6 days ago #31244 by Lee
Hi Carlos

Will you please get in touch with me via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Many thanks,

Lee

• Lee
  • Visitor
6 years 6 days ago #31245 by Lee
Hi Tony

You can get in touch with me via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. please.
Looking forward to your email ...
Regards,

Lee

More
6 years 6 days ago #31246 by zachhandler
Tony which year classic? From earlier in this conversation it sounds like the ‘18 is longer and much narrower than the ‘17. Sounds like completely different boats to me.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
6 years 5 days ago #31247 by tony h
Hi Zac, my classic is built 2017 but haven't seen the changes to the 2018 model verified anywhere to substantiate the rumour above?

More
6 years 5 days ago #31248 by owenfromwales
Replied by owenfromwales on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Hi guys,

I`m sure Lee could let us know how his skis have or have not changed over the last few years.

I do my best to keep the ski width x length thread up to date with previous and new ski designs. Sometimes this can be a challenge when makers change dimensions. I rely on info from makers` websites and pages like Surfski.info. Sometimes a ski does not change, but the dimensions mentioned on the web do! As stated on the width x length page, I welcome info that clears up any mistakes I may have made.

Happy paddling everyone,

Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
5 years 9 months ago #31865 by zachhandler
Can anyone comment on either of these skis’ dowind feel and performance?

More
4 years 8 months ago #34763 by brokewolf
Replied by brokewolf on topic McGregor Classic Ski
How are you liking your Mcgregor Classic? I was planning on getting one a year or so ago, but there were not any available right then, so I bought a used Nelo ML. I want one again and would like any feedback.
thanks
Bill

• Lee
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #34766 by Lee
Hi

Nice to hear from you. Bruce Gipson is the agent for my skis in USA. 
I am not sure if he has any available there, but better to contact him directly. 

My own Classic here in Durban I'm selling for USD 1000. Maybe he can put it on his next container coming over if you get stuck. But he is the man to talk to.

Regards
Lee Mc Gregor

More
4 years 8 months ago #34767 by venicebum
Replied by venicebum on topic McGregor Classic Ski
I have a mint condition Classic in SoCal I purchased from Bruce, I'm selling if you're interested. I'm in SoCal.

Matt

More
4 years 8 months ago #34773 by brokewolf
Replied by brokewolf on topic McGregor Classic Ski
Th

Thanks Matt,
SoCal is a little too far for me, as I want to pick up in person, and I am in New Orleans area.
Thanks
Bill

Latest Forum Topics