PFDs

More
12 years 4 months ago #8535 by svengali
Replied by svengali on topic Re: PFDs
i think the surfski exemption from NSW maritime rules governing small craft was removed last year

another unwarranted and unwelcome intervention from our country's nanny state

it's absolutely ridiculous that anyone, with no pre-qualification or due diligence on their swimming ability, can enter a 2km open water swim but ski paddlers less than 1km from the coast need to wear PFDs while paddling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8536 by 2Dogs
Replied by 2Dogs on topic Re: PFDs
not true.
Recent response from NSW Maritime to query:
The legislation regarding lifejackets changed on 1 November 2010. Current regulations state that a surf ski is exempt from the safety equipment requirements of the Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009. Therefore lifejackets are not required to be worn or carried on surf skis on NSW waters (this includes both ocean and enclosed waters).
The rules regarding lifejackets will be reviewed periodically to ensure they are having the desired effect, but no changes are currently slated

More
12 years 4 months ago #8538 by svengali
Replied by svengali on topic Re: PFDs
if that's true, 2Dogs (and Stew, earlier), have made my day

however, i have never seen a written exemption anywhere and no-one can provide one

which is probably why NSW Maritime have had no hesitation stopping me several times for not wearing a PFD (altho one is on the boat)

they claim no knowledge of a ski exemption and retort that it is clearly a type of canoe or kayak so is bounded by those regs

difficult to fault the logic but hopefully someone can show us something in writing

More
12 years 4 months ago #8539 by 2Dogs
Replied by 2Dogs on topic Re: PFDs
The comment made above is from an email direct from NSW Maritime (A/Policy & Projects Officer, Office of Boating Safety). So I'm more than comfortable challenging a pull-over or potential fine.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8540 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic Re: PFDs
It is unequivocal, there is NO requirement to wear a Lifejacket (or PFD) in NSW whilst on a "surf ski". (However, a race "condition of entry" may specify that a PFD has to be worn in a particular race - eg the Hawkesbury Classic.)
The issue here is then what is defined as a "surf ski"; NSW Maritime, in their publications, has no such definition.
It is obvious that a "spec" ski would fulfill that definition, but what about an "OR" ski? Then where do you stop; does a wave ski satisfy the rule? What about a SOT and/or a fishing kayak? Again there is no definition.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
12 years 4 months ago #8543 by REDBEARD
Replied by REDBEARD on topic Re: PFDs
Please find the following.
This was cut and pasted from the NSW Maritime Lifejacket Reforms - Frequently Asked Questions section.

Will I have to wear a lifejacket on a surf ski?

A surf ski is exempt from the safety equipment requirements of the Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009. Therefore lifejackets are not required to be worn or carried on surf skis on NSW waters (this includes both ocean and enclosed waters).

More
12 years 4 months ago #8576 by owenw
Just looking at the Hiko Sport website, manufacturer of the Think PFD, I see that their standard (ie non Think branded) Multisport PFD features a rear hydration bladder (or flare, mast etc) pocket; see www.hikosport.com/multisport-1896/f3494/

The following user(s) said Thank You: ilcentaurorosso

More
12 years 4 months ago #8581 by Draftbuster
Replied by Draftbuster on topic Re: PFDs
Hey Stew, Nice looking jacket,but for paddling I probably would like a pocket in the back :) That aside does it have a PFD rating?The reason I ask is that I sail as well and we are required to wear a PFD2 jacket.And im up for a new one of them,and a jacket that I could use for both would be very handy.
Cheers
Chris

• biggels-bear
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #14973 by biggels-bear
Replied by biggels-bear on topic Re: PFDs
Looks like a change in policy, Nov 2012 NSW changed the ACT to remove Surf Ski under secion 81 (1) c as being excempt.

More
11 years 2 months ago #14975 by owenw
In the last month of 2012, NSW Transport/Maritime changed the rules regarding skis and PFDs. They now define a surf ski as "a "spec" ski as used in Surf Life Saving NSW events and used by its members in training and competition" see www.lifejacketwearit.com.au/vessel-type/paddle-surf-ski/

If the MSB should now ask the question, my Stellar has morphed into a "speccy" and I have just become an extremely ancient "Clubbie" out on a training paddle.

More
11 years 2 months ago #14978 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Re: PFDs
Seems a bit weird to make a surf ski wear one and yet not SUPs when they are often in the same water www.lifejacketwearit.com.au/vessel-type/...e-stand-paddleboard/

Latest Forum Topics