Leash Attachment Point

More
8 years 10 months ago #23896 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Leash Attachment Point
This is getting a little off topic, but I have learned to favor a leg leash with no hardware on it. I have had two different ones with a carabiner type connection between the leash and the leg strap. On both, and they are two different types of carabiners, the leash will occasionally (maybe 2 or 3 times over the course of 6 years) separate from the strap as I come off the ski. A ski has never got away from me because of it, but it is freaky as hell. Maybe I am just careless when I clip the leash to the strap and do it improperly. Either way, I don't like it. So now I use the cheaper type where the leg strap is permanently connected to the coiled leash.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23897 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic Leash Attachment Point

Kayaker Greg wrote: ...they are breaking at the swivel joint.

Perhaps because the swivel appears to be brass? maybe a marine grade stainless would be better?

More
8 years 10 months ago #23898 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Leash Attachment Point
I think its more the connection between the leash and the swivel, but really a leg leash doesn't need a swivel at all so best to eliminate it all together like the Think leash. I've heard from some club members that have just given theirs a good pull while checking them and they have come a part, one club member had his come apart in the middle of winter when he came out of his ski, ended up swimming 2 kms and rescue services had been alerted, fortunately all ended well but good thing he is tough and a good swimmer.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23900 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic Leash Attachment Point
Most leashes are coiled and relatively short. I find they are a problem when trying to remount as they invariably get in the way. I have used a waist leash which works fine in the past and I think I noticed that Dawid Mocke uses a long straight leash which would avoid the any problem during remounts.
Anyone had any experience with a long leash?

More
8 years 10 months ago #23902 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Leash Attachment Point

JohnK wrote: I think I noticed that Dawid Mocke uses a long straight leash

No, he uses a coiled leash. (mockepaddling.com/product/mocke-life-line-calf-leash/)

As for using a long leash, my concerns would be:
  1. getting in the way when sitting in the boat
  2. getting washed out of the boat in big water
  3. dragging in the water slowing the boat down

Its all down to personal comfort and it could work really well for you though.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23903 by Bill L
I think a coil is more likely to foul and get caught on things.

Mine is not coiled and goes from my pfd (bottom center) to the ski's leash attachment point, or the footstrap if there is no attachment point. It measures 48 inches from end to end and uses a high quality strong polyester shock cord and a quick release. I had sized it to myself for the optimum length prior to making it; if it was not shockcord it would have to be a little longer, probably another 24 inches - that might start getting in the way.

I have a strong swivel on my current one, but I am think of not including the swivel on the next as I do agree it likely is not needed.

In the several years I have been using it I have not had any problem with tangling. When you get in, one swipe of the hand puts it in the right place so no interference or dragging.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23904 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Leash Attachment Point
Great to see all the options here. Here in Hawaii, outriggers outnumber skis 100 to one, at least. Most ski paddlers don't wear PFD's, I've never seen an outrigger paddler with a PFD. I'm very grateful to you guys on this site for the safety ideas. Even in our relatively warm water, hypothermia is a major concern.

Another option is to use a standard surf leash and connect it to the back of the ski. Clip the front to a waist belt or PFD. That's how JD, the epic rep from Hood River Oregon does it. Like mine, it allows you to stay connected and control the boat from the rear if ever caught in the impact zone. Surf leashes are designed to stretch without breaking, I doubt you will lose a boat with a real surf leash.

Iv'e only been slammed on the head once with a breaking wave. It was a sneaker, out on a downwind run. I wore a standard calf leash in those days. I got dragged underwater for a few seconds. Somehow, I held firm to the boat and the paddle. I'm not sure if it was my hand that held the boat or the leash that dragged me along, but I surfaced next to the boat. It was a wild ride. I needed stitches in my eyebrow, no clue how that happened. The wave lip may have slammed me down. Or maybe something whacked me while I was under - not sure. It was a minor cut, I got lucky for sure. But I use that story to warn new paddlers that the ocean is going to do whatever the hell it feels like doing. We all worry about reefs jacking up waves here, that's where it's most common. But the biggest hole in the water I've ever seen was in 20 fathoms of water. I didn't lose it on that wave face, but it was sheer luck. The ski was literally broadsliding at one point, just blazing fast. Very scary.

Good safety gear is worth it. You cold water guys have my respect!

downwind dilettante

More
8 years 10 months ago #23909 by Bill L
I too welcome discussion of all the different gear and techniques used for leashes.

From all I have experienced and read since getting involved in this sport, in my opinion (arguably, I know), not getting separated from one's ski is perhaps the single largest factor in overall safety.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

Latest Forum Topics