Leash Attachment Point

More
8 years 11 months ago #23850 by Bob L.
Where is the best place to attach the leg and paddle leashes?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23851 by kevin brunette
Fit the leashes permanently to your craft so that you don’t have to search around for them. Attach the end loops around a secure anchoring point built into the craft, if it has one, or each side of the footplate slider mechanism. These are reinforced in manufacture, providing sturdy points for anchoring. When transporting your boat, wind the leashes around the steering cables to keep them out of the way.
Don’t tie a leash to the foot strap, because the Velcro binding is not meant to take the force.

FENN Bluefin, XT, Swordfish S
Author and publisher at South Easter Communications of books in the SURFSKI series, aimed at recreational to advanced paddlers. Look at the Facebook page Surfski know-how and visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric

More
8 years 11 months ago #23852 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Leash Attachment Point

kevin brunette wrote: Don’t tie a leash to the foot strap, because the Velcro binding is not meant to take the force.

Indeed, I'm sure many of us have had our feet caught in that velcro, which has then been pulled apart on a wave.

As for the paddle leash - I attach mine to my PFD shoulder strap. I had to shorten the leash slightly, but I find when attached to the PFD it helps to keep it out of the way. Kept getting tangled up when I was running both leashes up from the footplate.

Also when coming off in high winds, the boat will often roll over a few times. This would also tangle up the paddle leash quite a lot.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23853 by Bob L.
Replied by Bob L. on topic Leash Attachment Point
I purchased a Swordfish but it doesn't have the mounting point. Looking at the footplate anchor track I see where there is room to slip the leash cord through, is the mounting location you are referring to?

Thanks,

More
8 years 11 months ago #23854 by kevin brunette
There is a small space on either side of the foot plate where the footplate bolts connect to the slider track. Just enough space to get a leash loop around. It is not around the slider track, because there is not enough space to get a leash cord through.

FENN Bluefin, XT, Swordfish S
Author and publisher at South Easter Communications of books in the SURFSKI series, aimed at recreational to advanced paddlers. Look at the Facebook page Surfski know-how and visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23855 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Leash Attachment Point
In my Swordfish I tie the leg leash (well I actually use a waist leash rather than a leg leash but anyway) to the centre of the footstrap. Paddle leash if and when I use one I attach to my PFD.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23856 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Leash Attachment Point
Why don´t the PDFs have a web loop /metal ring in front which can be used for the leash? EG if I clip it to the plastic piece on the Tripper pocket it is quick to release and not in the way when remounting.

Theoretically may be a problem that the surfski may rip the pdf off the body? or is it an approval issue?

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23858 by jagter
Replied by jagter on topic Leash Attachment Point
I've always attached my leash to the footstrap. I've actually broken a leash like that, and the footstrap held. But the idea makes sense, I'll attach it to the rails from now on.

Regarding a paddle leash. In my mind there is no doubt you want the paddle leash attached to the boat and not your PDF. You definitely don't want to get entangled in a leash attached to your pdf when things get hairy.

When it's attached to your boat, all you have to do is release your ankle leash and you're free.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by jagter.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23859 by Kayaker Greg
So please tell me, where on your ski do you attach your paddle leash?

And I would advise against releasing your ankle leash if that's what you use.
Good way to loose your ski and perhaps your life doing that.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23860 by jagter
Replied by jagter on topic Leash Attachment Point
Paddle leash to the footstrap.

Not releasing your leash in the surf is not going to end well. When I approach the backline I always release the leash. If I lose the ski in the surf, I'll just swim in.

If your paddle is attached to you, that's one more thing to unclip when approaching the surf, and on a big day, that's just too many things to fiddle with.

I don't want to be dragged around the surf by a paddle that's attached to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23861 by Kayaker Greg
Ok, I don't think anyone was suggesting wearing a leash in the shore break.

And it takes about 2 seconds to unclip my paddle leash from the PFD, or 3 seconds to unclip it from the paddle.

My take is any leash that is between your paddle and your surf ski is going to have to be longer and more of a nuisance value flapping around your legs and your leg leash, if its long or short and you do come out and your ski rolls etc you are going to have a bit of a tangle on your hands to sort out, if you manage not to get you legs caught in it.

With the paddle leash attached to my PFD the leash can be a lot shorter, probably half the length and the risk of entanglement is near nil, I mean really, I'm not twirling the paddle around my head or anything.

But each to your own, if you feel safer doing it your way it really doesn't concern me, but don't tell others they shouldn't have doubts about doing it your way.

If you have to unclip anything to untangle yourself, your that much closer to a disaster in my view.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23864 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Leash Attachment Point
Here is how I do it.

Here is a pic of the leash I use. It's a Naish kite board leash about a foot long with an easy to grab quick release. The elite ski paddlers here use them but attach at the calf. They surf in crazy big waves (I don't) and want the ability to detach under load. They say a boat may break your leg in a big wave. They don't wear PFD's. That red thing is a foam grippy slider that is easy to grab and will detach under load. The cord has some stretch to it. Super high quality clips.

File Attachment:

I attach my leash behind me to a sliding setup. It's great not having a leash up front. Re mounting was always a pain in my ass as a beginner in big wind. I"m a little better now and a tangled leash probably wouldn't bug me. But I'm not going back. PFD almost always, Belt with same leash if not. Iv'e broken a few leashes in my day but won't ever risk a wayward boat if there is a remote possibility of injuring a kid on the beach. If I'm approaching a beach with kids and get rolled I can remain attached and get to the back of the boat and control it if another wave may create problems.

File Attachment:

downwind dilettante

More
8 years 11 months ago #23865 by FlyingFish
Replied by FlyingFish on topic Leash Attachment Point
Congratulations Bob, I too just purchased a Swordfish. I attached my leash to the center of the footstrap. The majority of the Swordfish Surfski's that I have seen have it attached there.

Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago #23877 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Leash Attachment Point

LaPerouseBay wrote: I attach my leash behind me to a sliding setup.

I like this idea of the sliding setup. How do you attach the front end of the sliding line to the back of the cockpit?

More
8 years 10 months ago #23880 by FlyingFish
Congratulations on the new Swordfish. I also just purchased a new one and after checking out many of them I found that almost everyone connects their leash to the center of the footstrap. Seems to work fine for me in most all conditions.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23883 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Leash Attachment Point
The spectra line out back also functions a tow line. It has a clip on the front, up behind my bucket. I can unclip it and attach it to a wayward surfboard, etc.

My ski is an old version V-10. I made a loop of spectra, it functions just like the loop between a leash plug and a leash on a surfboard. The string loops around one of the bungee holders and provides a secure mounting point. I run the line up from behind and under the bungees, snaking it around to get some tension from the bungees. Then I clip it onto the leash string.

I also have a sliding line on the front of my boat. It also has a clip mounted to a leash loop through a bungee screw mount. That line can be used to tow me.

downwind dilettante

More
8 years 10 months ago #23890 by FlyingFish
OK, I changed my leash connection point. I believe this is the area where Kevin is talking about.

Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #23893 by Kayaker Greg
This is how I do it, centre of the foot strap to my waist belt which holds my PLB and camera, if anything gives it will possibly be one side of my foot strap, I have never seen a foot strap rip out on both sides, something has to give first in a major event (which hopefully 99% of paddlers will avoid anyway) and a foot strap is easily replaced rather than damaging anything more structural. Like I say, I've never seen a foot strap rip out on both sides (heard of some that have ripped on one side but your still attached to your ski if your leash is attached to it).

Not sure I would trust the new leash attachment point that Fenn is putting in the new Swordfish, looks like a simple saddle screwed into the hull, can see that ripping out and causing damage to the ski in a big pull and possibly a separation for paddler from ski.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=56212167...51844&type=3&theater

BTW Flying Fish, those leg leashes with the swivel connection like yours are breaking with alarming regularity, the Think leash does not use these and is superior in my opinion.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Kayaker Greg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FlyingFish

More
8 years 10 months ago #23894 by FlyingFish
Thanks Greg! The only reason I moved it today was to make room for a GPS in the middle of the strap but from your pictures it looks like I could have both the leash strap and the GPS on the footstrap. I would think that it would take quite the swell to break a foot strap.
I will look at the Think leash. Are the leashes breaking at the swivel joint? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the Surfski sport.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23895 by Kayaker Greg
Yes, they are breaking at the swivel joint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric, FlyingFish

Latest Forum Topics