newbie questions?

More
11 years 10 months ago #11942 by psyl
newbie questions? was created by psyl
Longtime kayaker have a Fenn Mako 6. Flatwater only for now...
Couple questions?
I find the rudder (8" sharkfin) is very sensitive and am wondering if I have the pedals adjusted right. I have them in a straight line with the heel board. I am pushing on my heels.
Should the pedals be forward a little to help keep my toes off them or is it just something I have to "get a feel for"?
Is there an easier rudder for newbies?

I find the scuppers don't drain much. I am getting 5 + knots. Is there a vent tube that ties into the scupper that could be blocked or is it just the holes with the bump under the hull. Saw the add- on Huki scuppers and mine are not the same.Mine just have the front part. Is this typical?

Using my Lendal paddle and thinking of a wing. Does a wing help with stability when you plant your stroke?
At what point should I try a wing?
Have not dumped it yet...except when I went in reverse and the rudder cocked sideways...
thanks for any help..
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11945 by arminius
Replied by arminius on topic Re: newbie questions?
Welcome! Below are my thoughts on your questions - hope it helps:
Rudder - you can get various shapes and sizes but your 8" sharkfin is the most popular as it is a good mix of directional stability and hydrodynamics. The position of the pedal is a personal preference. I prefer to have my pedals just back from vertical i.e. leaning towards me by about 1cm from vertical so that I still touch the pedal with my outside foot when turning without having to overextend my foot. The overextension can also lead to cramps if the pedals are really far back on both sides.

Scuppers - the venturi on the boats that I have had in the past usually only started working at 8km and above (my V12 has the dinghy style which works at about 6km). Not sure what you are talking about re the vent tube? The scupper should have an opening in the cockpit and that opening should run unobstructed through the hull and out the opening under the hull. When your ski is on dry land fill up the cockpit with water and check that the water drains with no obstruction. If that works then you can consider some of the improved shapes that some manufacturers have on the hull to creaqte a more powerful venturi.

Wing - throw away your Lendal (or sell on eBay) and get a wing. The wing will make your life a lot easier as the shape of the wing guides the paddle through the air and the water making the stroke a lot easier and more stable.

Lastly - get a copy of Dawid Mocke's book - it will really speed up the learning process and improve your paddling skills. www.surfski.info/reviews/item/1358-surfs...i-with-the-pros.html

Another perfect day in paradise. A bit of sun, a bit of rain and it's not even lunch time.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11946 by AGA
Replied by AGA on topic Re: newbie questions?
On the foot pedals, straight in line should be fine or even a touch concave (back towards you). Don't go convex (away from you). You want to be able to use them. Weight on the heels is correct.

Don't wait. Get a wing, now, fast. It will be the best change you can make, and should massively improve the experience and the balance. (Just so long as you don't pull it heavily past your hips which can cause the wing to dive down deep with you following it).

More
11 years 10 months ago #11948 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: newbie questions?

arminius wrote: Welcome!
Lastly - get a copy of Dawid Mocke's book - it will really speed up the learning process and improve your paddling skills. www.surfski.info/reviews/item/1358-surfs...i-with-the-pros.html

yep I found this book really helpfull

More
11 years 10 months ago #11955 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: newbie questions?
I had a mako6 and I also found the scuppers could drain faster... I replaced them with Huki's bullet scuppers, was satisfied with the new ones.
tuaruavaa.blogspot.com/2012/02/fenn-mako6-upgrade.html
Before glueing them in place with epoxy, I tested them with some adhesive tape. You need to find the right lenght between the two parts, otherwise they won't drain any better than the original scuppers...

I've always had the pedals a little bit away from me, I was comfortable with that and never had a steering problem.

The sharkfin rudder is just a piece of shit in the surf. If you can find an old Fenn eliptical rudder, like those that came with the Millenium, go for it. I'll try to get a pic for you.

More
11 years 9 months ago #11964 by psyl
Replied by psyl on topic Re: newbie questions?
Thanks to all. I'll be shopping for the wing..

More
11 years 8 months ago #12249 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: newbie questions?
better late than never.
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics