adding cargo hatch to V8? Sacrilege or practical?

More
2 years 6 months ago #38896 by kayakingguy
the V8 is an all around perfect boat for me, I use it more as a day-kayak than a ski, to be honest.

The only down-side is when I want to carry a bag or something with more supplies it raises the center of gravity and makes it hard to re-mount (if I should ever fall off, which is rare, but do kayak in rough water/bigger swells).

Has anyone added an aftermarket cargo hatch to their ski, and if so how would one go about it? I don't want to ruin the ski, but would love to have more versatility as a day tourer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #38897 by Ranga
The V6 has them already from the factory and is as comfortable and nearly as fast.
Anything is possible in composites.
There is however a stringer supporting the back deck so that will have to be removed and stiffening ribs will need to be installed on the inside of the back deck if you want full access. The amount of internal ribs needed will depend on how big you want the hatch and how much storage you need. If just a round day hatch you can just cut a small portion of the stringer away and leave the rest in place without the need for any extra strengthening.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

More
2 years 6 months ago #38904 by kayakingguy

Ranga wrote: The V6 has them already from the factory and is as comfortable and nearly as fast.
Anything is possible in composites.
There is however a stringer supporting the back deck so that will have to be removed and stiffening ribs will need to be installed on the inside of the back deck if you want full access. The amount of internal ribs needed will depend on how big you want the hatch and how much storage you need. If just a round day hatch you can just cut a small portion of the stringer away and leave the rest in place without the need for any extra strengthening.

Makes sense. an 12" circular hatch would be perfect. Does anyone make a pre-fab one that could be dropped in without a lot of modification?

I'm on a pretty tight budget (heck, I'm too poor to pay attention), so modifying what I have is my only option.

More
2 years 6 months ago #38905 by waverider
Bit of fantasy for you

The following user(s) said Thank You: jateureka

More
2 years 6 months ago #38907 by kayakingguy

waverider wrote: Bit of fantasy for you

That's a beaut! Due to my skill level and doing lots of rough seas I'd do the same thing to a V8, if I had F-U money. :)

More
2 years 6 months ago #38916 by Ranga
Any boating shop will have round day hatches of various sizes. Not very expensive.

Latest Forum Topics