What would you like to see design-wise ?

• darebet
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #7733 by darebet
Replied by darebet on topic Re: What would you like to see design-wise ?
This might sound stupid but a "users manual". I think many of the after market additions to a ski are done with a lot of guessing and then fudging. I personally see a sealed ski as Pandora's Box. Cut a hole in the wrong spot and you toil with it.

I am for a bare bones approach to skis. The simpler the better (and cheaper).
If you put together a manual that described: where bulkheads are, where you added reinforced blocks so that an optional handles could be attached (before sale or after), where the best place to put a hatch in, or extra bungie, or in-hull drinking water systems. Having the foresight to invest some prep and layout in a manual so that a person can customize their ski on a later date without guessing or compromising the structural integrity of the ski would be awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7734 by Beanboy
Well, you could offer both. Much like you can buy a frame of a bike and outfit it, a company could offer a model without any additional features, but offer up a model with.

DIY folks could add/modify the basic model as they see fit.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7778 by kiwial
I don't want a block of polysterene slowly increasing the weight of my ski as it absorbs and holds water but + bouyancy would be great!
My list of wants are;
Narrow catch
micro adjustment for leg length
aggresive (high bum, low heels) seating position
solid hardware that does not bend, flex or corode
Leash attachment point
bow and stern handles (lets the other 1/2 get involved)
back deck bungy
easy access to my drink bottle
small bucket hatch for keys phone etc.
a choice of rudders as standard (ie surf and fw with each ski)
get home rudder cable thingy
very adjustable foot strap(s)
efficient venturi
dedicated drink system
a bit of extra 'beef' in the paddle strike area to reduce repairs
most of these features are available on different skis but not all on 1

More
12 years 7 months ago #7780 by Kiwibruce
How about a rescue stability device for your ski ,something like a self inflating life jacket but mounted on the ski.
If your get yourself in a pickle , come off but can't remount , pull the cord to give the ski extra stability ,remount and still be able to paddle to safety.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7781 by kiwial

More
12 years 7 months ago #7791 by Kiwibruce
Yep, that looks like its on the track , I'm not sure how it would go on a ski but the idea is there to be developed.

• Jonojnr
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10725 by Jonojnr
Replied by Jonojnr on topic Re: What would you like to see design-wise ?
I would like to revitalize this old thread. I am in the throws of a new passion/interest/obsession.

Turns out my architecture-surfing-yachting-surfski-3d computer modelling background have come together in a perfect storm so to speak.

I am very interested to hear all opinions/input on what you perceive to be the ultimate Surf-ski design. Be it length/width, center of gravity, drinks holder, I-pod dock etc, etc - you get the picture. Obviously performance concepts will take precedence over I-pod docks.

The attached file is a preliminary example of where I am going with this. I have modeled the hull in various forms of software I am familiar with and will continue to revise based on input and my available time. Design by committee so to speak.

To view the attachment you will need to install VRML viewer .

Cortona is a available at this link

www.cortona3d.com/install.aspx

All comments welcome.

(Turns out I cannot add the attachment due to restrictions on file types - anyone interested email me at jonojnr at gmail dot com)
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Jonojnr.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10729 by [email protected]

(Turns out I cannot add the attachment due to restrictions on file types - anyone interested email me at jonojnr at gmail dot com)

Let me know what the extension is and I'll add it to the "allowed files" list.

My preferences for the design:
  • Make the damn thing stable - intermediate level stable
  • Cut-out the back of the bucket, Fenn Swordfish style.
  • Make cut-outs on either side of the bucket, at the catch, Swordfish style.
  • Build in a leash anchor point ala Epic

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 1 month ago #10730 by Kayaker Greg
My Epic V10L never had a leash attachment point, my Stellar SES does however.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10733 by Rightarmbad
As Rob pointed out, the new Epics all have a new leash point on the hump.
After getting my feet caught in the leash the other day, I'm seriously considering not running one unless there is a big wind, and then I really want to mount it behind me.

I can see some modifying stuff happening in my future.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10738 by superted
So who is Epic copying this idea from?? ;-)

Older and new features identified with safety should be introduced across all brands. eg Leash attachment, internal flotation, return to shore, seam design etc.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by superted.

• Jonojnr
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #10740 by Jonojnr
Replied by Jonojnr on topic Re: What would you like to see design-wise ?
Rob,

The file extension for a vrml file is .wrl - the navigation proved to be a little annoying so I posted jpegs. I will look into other methods of viewing so for now jpegs will have to do despite the lower quality.

Thanks
JT

More
12 years 1 month ago #10741 by Boof Head
Jono,
Are you aware of KayakFoundary? Kayak design freeware that can be used for designing surfskis. As well, it will print out forms so that you cane build a stripper for use as is or as a plug.
Couple have been built already and I have a few designs myself.

Thanks for thread revival, I am near completion of a timber surfski and will be incorporating some of the ideas suggested. My primary design goal is 15kgs finished and I will acheive that, however, initial trials indicate that it won't perform as well as my stellar so I will add a few features such as storage at a later date,

I like the profile of your ski.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10745 by thebigadski
Quote;"My preferences for the design:

Make the damn thing stable - intermediate level stable
Cut-out the back of the bucket, Fenn Swordfish style.
Make cut-outs on either side of the bucket, at the catch, Swordfish style.
Build in a leash anchor point ala Epic"

Hey Rob

Your preference design list sounds like an exact description of the THINK Kayak EVOii!!

:woohoo: :whistle: :P

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by thebigadski.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10746 by Stew

robin.mousley wrote:

• Build in a leash anchor point ala Epic
  • [/ul]

We had one a long time before them. Funny how that gets neglected.

More
    12 years 1 month ago #10750 by [email protected]
    I'm awfully sorry Stew...

Any chance you could send me a demo boat or two - clearly I'd be better informed in future ;)

On a more serious note - very few, if any, South African made boats have leash anchor points... I think ALL skis should have them.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
    12 years 1 month ago #10751 by [email protected]

Hey Rob

Your preference design list sounds like an exact description of the THINK Kayak EVOii!!

Haha! Looks nice! Clearly we need to get a demo over here!

Rob

More
    12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10760 by thebigadski
    "Haha! Looks nice! Clearly we need to get a demo over here!"

Yes I agree!! = Swordfish killer!! :woohoo:

But on a serious note it is a shame the SA market has not been exposed to such a comfortable & capable intermediate boat.

And then there is the new THINK eze............but that's another story!!!
    Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by thebigadski. Reason: grammar

More
    12 years 1 month ago #10793 by AR_convert

thebigadski wrote:
    But on a serious note it is a shame the SA market has not been exposed to such a comfortable & capable intermediate boat.

Seriously though Adam, Think HQ have obviously realized that trying to sell a foreign designed/built ski to SA would be like trying to sell a foreign made car in Detroit ;) I just hope the Saffa's are taking notes on Think and other up and comers when they design thier next ski's, they don't leave many functional attributes off thier skis.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
    12 years 1 month ago #10794 by CyberSki
    Recessed grip/handle(s) amidships so you can carry it easier. I have dropped mine trying to hold by a slippery bucket area. Saw one ski that had a recessed one a the balance point...nice!

Also a recessed hatch under the knees or under the rear deck bungee area to hold hydration bladder with a small hatch with connection for drink hose.

As to safety - a strong "through hull" anchor point at the bow to allow towing if needed.

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

Latest Forum Topics