DeBrito leak

More
3 years 5 months ago #37454 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic DeBrito leak
As for replacing with the Epic or Anderson, no such luck they are both smaller. You will have to get them fitted professionally as you have to make the hole smaller. I am considering doing this to my ski as my DeBrito has failed too many times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #37458 by Impala
Replied by Impala on topic DeBrito leak
Hi all,

before some now rush to throw out their deBrito, please consider whether it is worth it, and what to use instead.

1. A surfski is not a flatwater racing boat. Most bullet venturi bailers always leak when still, and drag when moving. In waves you immediately forget about the problem.
2. In one of my wooden boats I initially mounted an Andersen Mini. It just did not drain enough, so I replaced it with a deBrito which drains twice as fast, damn the leakage (and I rarely paddle on the ocean). For a metal Anderson bailer to be as effective as a deBrito, you have to choose quite a big (and heavy) one, according to my experience - I have used Anderson bailers of different sizes as well as deBrito and SuperShute 60 (of the latter both I mounted were absolutely tight). Light bailers have a better weight-pump-ratio, but mostly stick out more into the cockpit. 

Just my xx cents.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Impala.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37460 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic DeBrito leak
I have no problem with leaks, I understand they are not designed for watertight operation but reducing drag and removing water efficiently. The problem I have is the durability, my one has broken 3 times and that is not good enough!

More
3 years 5 months ago #37464 by Impala
Replied by Impala on topic DeBrito leak
Hi Ranga,
that is too much indeed! My deBritos just leaked to different degrees, but did not break.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37696 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic DeBrito leak
After experimenting with different gaskets for my leaking DeBrito-Bailer I finally found a material that works.
It´s made of EVA foam (Ethlene Vinyl Acetate) They make insulation matresses out of it.
So far I had only had two training sessions with it but even after one hour of paddling with the bailer closed the footwell was still dry. So that´s a big improvement. I hope it will stay like this.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37697 by Paddlehead
Replied by Paddlehead on topic DeBrito leak
EVA is available from most Podiatry suppliers. It usually comes in sheets 2mm or 3mm thick. probably around A$35 for a sheet Briggate Medical supplies in Victoria, Australia sell it.Very durable. EVA is essentially the stuff most shoe soles are made of, so it retains its shape well. It also comes in varying densities, so it can be fairly soft and cushioning or extremely hard.

Current: NK Storm 61, Kayak Centre Zeplin.

Past: Epic gen3 V10, Fenn Elite carbon, Fenn Elite Vac glass, Fenn Elite SL, Gen 1 Stellar SEL ultra, Epic V10 gen 2, Carbonology Vault, Fenn Swordfish, Red7 pro 70, Think Legend, Red7 60, Fenn Xt.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37705 by M.v.E.
The EVA foam that I used was fairly soft and compressible. The thickness is 4 mm.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37706 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic DeBrito leak
I used this and it seemed to work fine XCEL-Neoprene-Foam-Sheet in 1/8" thickness. 
The appropriate thickness of EVA should work fine as well.  When I took my ski's gasket out it was torn and compressed so not surprising it leaked.  8 months later it still doesn't leak and it was an easy fix once I found the right material.

-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
3 years 3 months ago #37834 by M.v.E.

M.v.E. wrote: After experimenting with different gaskets for my leaking DeBrito-Bailer I finally found a material that works.
It´s made of EVA foam (Ethlene Vinyl Acetate) They make insulation matresses out of it.
So far I had only had two training sessions with it but even after one hour of paddling with the bailer closed the footwell was still dry. So that´s a big improvement. I hope it will stay like this.

Quick Update: Since I changed the gasket I had approximately 10 training sessions with my Nelo 550 and so far there is only a spoonfull of water in the bucket after 90 minutes of paddling in calm water.
I wonder why the manufacturer of the bailer is not able to provide a better gasket material in the first place. 

More
3 years 3 months ago #37835 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic DeBrito leak
I changed mine in March and only get the same amount of water in my Nelo 550 as well.
My gasket was compressed and ripped when I took it out, so of course it leaked.

-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
3 years 3 months ago #37836 by johnnyonetoast
Replied by johnnyonetoast on topic DeBrito leak
My 550L is just starting to leak but not enough to be an issue (2017 model)
I have fixed these in the past quite simply with a bead of silicone along the rear edge only, Just to build it up slightly. Don't add to much and try a second skim coat if it's not enough. 
Leave it open overnight to set - cheap and easy.

Latest Forum Topics