Tape on catch/entry site

More
5 years 8 months ago #32295 by sski
Have seen PVC tape (10mil , 20mil), white duct tape 4 in thick etc placed at the catch/entry side of hull. I assume it's for protecting boat from paddle stroke? Have folks used other things?
Is there a type of tape that is a solid color that works as well?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32296 by mcnye1
Replied by mcnye1 on topic Tape on catch/entry site
To protect that "paddle strike" area, I use a product called KeelEazy. It is very easy to apply and removes easily with a heat gun. It comes in a variety of colors and widths. Pict in the link.

KeelEazy on SEI

More
5 years 8 months ago #32297 by Kiwi Dave
Replied by Kiwi Dave on topic Tape on catch/entry site
I've previously used 3M Safety-walk in the past (clear) which is really tough, easy to apply but not great looking.

On my new ski I've opted for automotive paint protection film. The benefit of this is you can get it in large sizes and cut it to a perfect large shape ... just make up a template using some old clear plastic (spray water on to boat, apply plastic and then draw with a marker) and cut your perfect / desired shape then apply with soapy water / alcohol solution.

The films you can get are varied in thickness etc but all are very UV resistant and I think perfect for the application. You can hardly see it once applied.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32298 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Tape on catch/entry site
The guy I bought my ski from installed the soft side of Velcro strip and although I wouldnt have thought of this, it works pretty well as a strike guard.

I'd probably use 10-20 mil tape like you're thinking on my next ski, but I can see this being useful if you ever wanted a leg spray skirt or something. It would serve dual purpose well.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32299 by DMax
Replied by DMax on topic Tape on catch/entry site
Hi. I notice that you paddle a Stellar SEI. I currently paddle a 2nd gen SR and love it. Have been getting into open water downwind of late and it's great in these conditions. I've been toying with the idea of the SEI and was wondering how you found your boat. I've heard mixed reviews. I like the KeelEasy tape by the way!

Cheers, Dave

Current boat: Fenn Swordfish S (Hybrid layup).
Previous boats: Epic V8 (Performance layup), Stella SR (Excel layup).

"The sea lives in every one of us" - Robert Wyland.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32301 by zachhandler
A friend of mine wipes the pvc pipe tape with a paper towel dampened with acetone and the white print comes right off.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 8 months ago #32329 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Tape on catch/entry site
I second the "automotive paint protection film". Awesome stuff, a bit of a PITA to apply to get all the bubbles out. So far has held up great and practically invisible... I mean you can see it if you look carefully but from the distance it's not there. My only gripe is that I wish I had applied it earlier :-) :-).

More
5 years 8 months ago #32331 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Tape on catch/entry site
Off topic DMax - I have Gen 2 SR and SEI - great boats both. Don't hesitate to step up into the SEI from SR. Minimal stability difference (there's something in it but not much) however down winding SEI accelerates better and jumps onto runs more readily than the SR. Slimmer and sleeker all round. Also have an SES which is a big step down in stability from the SEI however still a great boat for most occasions. I'm less comfortable in sloppy choppy stuff find myself fighting the boat but oddly am ok in big stuff come out infrequently. Frankly I only notice the stability difference SEI/SR backwards, that is SR to SEI can't really tell however SEI to SR say getting out into waves or sloppy stuff and thinking holy shit I can do anything in this boat and I'll never fall out!

More
5 years 8 months ago #32332 by mcnye1
Replied by mcnye1 on topic Tape on catch/entry site
I am not an expert, but I like my SEI 2G. It is my first ski and I had no trouble transitioning from a 20" wide Wahoo Fast Sea Kayak. It has light initial stability but nice secondary stability. I have been paddling it since November and have only taken three unintentional swims. I have not paddled in big conditions, but routinely paddle 3' white caps in the river where I live. I am in a recreational race group and find the SEI pretty competitive with a lot of the guys paddling elite skis. Every race, I pass several of them while they are swimming.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32333 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Tape on catch/entry site
I love this statement from mcnye1:

"I am in a recreational race group and find the SEI pretty competitive with a lot of the guys paddling elite skis. Every race, I pass several of them while they are swimming."

"Fast" elite skis aren't so fast upside down. :lol:

More
5 years 8 months ago #32334 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic Tape on catch/entry site
I've said it before but IMHO the best solution to protect your ski from paddle strikes is SUP rail tape. It's designed to protect the SUP's rails from paddle strikes and does exactly that. It normally comes in +- 2m lengths x2, so you can share it with 3 mates.
I've only seen it in clear.

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32336 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic Tape on catch/entry site
ISC Helicopter tape. Supposed to be made for leading edge of helicopter blade. Definitely durable, and cost less than tapes for SUP boards that I found. It was flexible enough to curve around the boat, and it held on pretty good for half a year so far.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32339 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Tape on catch/entry site
+1 on the helicopter tape (ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape), available on Amazon ( www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TR6EW2/ref...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ).

You can apply wet or dry, wet is the easiest IMO. Clean the hull, apply some soap and water to the hull and back of tape, and you will be able to move/adjust the tape exactly where you want it, and squeegee out the bubbles. Let dry before use.

Greg

More
5 years 8 months ago #32340 by Fath2o
I'm still a PVC tape fan. It is cheap. Readily available at home stores etc. Very easy to apply and remove. Leaves little to no residue when removed. 100' roll will do 25 surfskis. Did I already say it is cheap.

www.walmart.com/ip/JVCC-PWT-20C-Heavy-Du...0-ft-Black/113310964

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #32341 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Tape on catch/entry site
How is the helicopter tape different from the paint protection tape: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY0GIZV
Both are 8mil polyurethane adhesive lined tapes... The paint protection is cheaper despite coming from a name brand.

Kirk: not everyone likes putting black tape onto a white ski ;-). Otherwise you're correct that it's the simplest and cheapest option.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by tve.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32343 by Fath2o
Thorsten, are you suggesting that my pvc tape clashes with my hibiscus?

:laugh:

Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics