Surfski roof rack for Jeep Patriot

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29813 by Kiwi Dave
Another idea if you want the ultimate in comfort for your boat(s) is to make some custom cradle inserts directly off the hull exactly where the bars make contact. I've never liked the point contacts / load that the cradles make with the boat so have done this to ensure 100% contact the entire way around the hull.

The thicker white core ones are for a Swordfish S and the red core ones are the my Stellar SES (have not taken the peel ply off and put the EVA foam on in the picture). I just slip them under the boat once its on the rack (have small guides drawn onto the boat for location) and strap down as per usual ... easy peasy, lemon squeezy :D

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Kiwi Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29816 by WingSuit
I like that concept. What is that curved material?

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29817 by Kiwi Dave
Its a composite sandwich (carbon - 5mm coremat - carbon). Might sound / look a little exotic but its really very easy to do and a great 'my first composites' job !!

If anyone is interested I can post up a DIY how-to. I did this time lapse video of making the first one on my Swordfish ...

From the video there are a couple of points of interest:
- Used 10mm coremat which was not a great choice (too heavy, too thick, more heat curing etc)
- The black strip on the boat at the very start is 5mm rubber to simulate the thickness of the foam on the finished item
- The brown (with yellow backing) stick on stuff is a self adhesive non-stick product which is awesome
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Kiwi Dave.

Latest Forum Topics