Surfski roof rack for Jeep Patriot

• Dasher
  • Visitor
6 years 7 months ago #29700 by Dasher
Surfski roof rack for Jeep Patriot was created by Dasher
I am looking for advice on what would be a good roof rack for my Jeep Patriot so that I can carry my surfski on it.

Thanks,

Rod

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29718 by drjay9051
As far as a base you could use anything from Yakima or Thule.

I like the Thule setup and order from these guys:

-ORSracksdirect

Once you have a base you need a system to hold the ski.

I have used Goodboy rack for years. Simple aluminum construction. no rust, very light. Ski is held by bungees.

The Goodboy is about $200.

goodboykayaks.com/

Really love the Goodboy system. i have 2 for my skis or kayaks.
The owner, Cliff is great to deal with.

It is real simple to remove the Goodboy when not transporting ski and just leave the base (Thule or other) on the vehicle

The base from Thule is not inexpensive but do it once and do it right.

I have seen guys use pool noodles etc but why risk it.

Here is a nice review

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by drjay9051.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29728 by sandysan
Goodboy V bars. Full stop. Personally, I don't think there are really any other choices outside of a trailer.

I don't know if your patriot has cross bars, but I have my Vbars on the OEM cross bars on a 05 trailblazer. Went to a junkyard and picked up another pair of cross bars for 20 bucks so there attached to 4 ( instead of 2) cross bars. Boat on and off in about 2 minutes and I've driven over a thousand miles on the interstate straight with my boat on the roof with zero problems. I bought the vbars off craigslist so all in I think I'm in for about 200 bucks.

When I first got them I was getting off at pretty much every exit on the highway to check them and to make sure the boat had not shifted. Now when the boat is in them, I don't even think about it at all.

making a short trip, the bungees and the strap in the middle. making a long trip I add 1.5 inch wide NRS straps to the front and back as well.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by sandysan. Reason: addition

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29730 by Cryder
If you want something nice for your Jeep (vs pot metal and plastic fittings), check out FrontOutfitters.com - safari grade, machined aluminum rack systems with loads of cool accessories (I am biased, they are my client).
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Cryder. Reason: broken link

More
6 years 6 months ago #29767 by JML
Check out the 'SkiRack' Transport System at: www.fitnesspaddlers.com.au
These are made from high grade materials that match the roof rack systems of most suppliers and look great on modern cars. There are a number of fitting options available depending on your existing racks.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29768 by kwolfe
Another vote for Goodboy. I bought mine last year and it is fantastic. Not to mention Cliff (owner) is a fellow paddler and a really nice guy. You can't beat it, especially for the price.

I took mine in a parking garage that was too low and whacked it off a few beams overhead (I know, I'm a dumba$$). Aside from scuffing the pads a tiny bit, it's perfectly fine.

Easy on a off and very secure.

• Dasher
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #29797 by Dasher
Replied by Dasher on topic Surfski roof rack for Jeep Patriot
Thanks everyone for all the info. I just bought my v-bars from Goodboy. Cliff, the owner, was great to talk to. I really enjoyed our conversation. The price was good and the delivery was faster than I expected.

Rod

More
6 years 6 months ago #29798 by drjay9051

Dasher wrote: Thanks everyone for all the info. I just bought my v-bars from Goodboy. Cliff, the owner, was great to talk to. I really enjoyed our conversation. The price was good and the delivery was faster than I expected.

Rod

Rod:

You will not be disappointed with the Goodboy Racks!

Curious did you order the classic or detachable v model?

J

• Dasher
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #29799 by Dasher
Dr Jay

I ordered the classic. Cliff said that is what most people get. He recommended a wider V bar for the back. I have an Epic V7 surfski. He said that if I used the standard V bar that the ski would sit up too high in the back. He also said that it will work for other slimmer skis as well, like a V10.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29800 by drjay9051

Dasher wrote: Dr Jay

I ordered the classic. Cliff said that is what most people get. He recommended a wider V bar for the back. I have an Epic V7 surfski. He said that if I used the standard V bar that the ski would sit up too high in the back. He also said that it will work for other slimmer skis as well, like a V10.

Good call by Cliff.

Wider in rear. The classic is, IMO the way to go. When you get it mounted you will see that to remove the bars you only need loosen one nut on front and one on rear and it pivots right off the base. I always have a short step ladder and 13 mm wrench in my Wrangler. Ladder makes it alot easier to load/unload and remove bars.

Must weigh all of 10 pounds per bar. I use the setup you have for sea kayak, V10 sport and Stellar (SR and S18S).

Never once had an issue. At first you will likely stop every so often to make sure everything is OK but in time you will trust the system.

If any concerns you could always double up on bungees front and rear , just in case.

Little trick; get a cheap pair of nylon socks and slip over the rear V bars. Allows the boat to slide on very smoothly. Not really necessary for a light ski but a big help with my 45 pound sea kayak.

FWIW, i rarely remove the bars at this point. I suppose i get 1 MPG less .

Enjoy

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by drjay9051.

• Dasher
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #29801 by Dasher
Dr. Jay,

You mentioned you use this setup for a V10 Sport and a Stellar SR. Is the Sport and SR the 2nd Gen. If so which do you prefer and for what reason? I am in the hunt for a second ski and have been looking at the Sport and the SR. Also which is faster? I do kayak triathlons.

Thanks for any info,

Rod

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #29802 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic Surfski roof rack for Jeep Patriot
Thanks for the info on the rack. I have been considering that rack. Concern is I see you have 3 straps on the surfski. With just the 2 bungees that came with the rack, does the boat slide backward and come off the rack with a strong front gust on the freeway. Is that why you have 3 straps.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29803 by sandysan
I've driven a long time straight and relatively fast and the answer for me is no. I even drove it using a boat cover in the rain and was afraid of precisely your concern. It never materialized.

For short trips, 2 bungees and a middle strap. For trans national travels travels, same middle strap and two wide nrs straps on the front and back ( I still use the bungees).

Now as long as I know I put it on right, I don't think about the boat on the roof much less worry about it.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29804 by kwolfe
Cliff will send along the third strap thats a cam lock. I always put it on for piece of mind. It takes two seconds. I use it for my ski and OC-1 and I had it up to 85 on the highway an everything stays just where it should be. Really is a great rack.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29805 by drjay9051

Wombat661 wrote: Thanks for the info on the rack. I have been considering that rack. Concern is I see you have 3 straps on the surfski. With just the 2 bungees that came with the rack, does the boat slide backward and come off the rack with a strong front gust on the freeway. Is that why you have 3 straps.

I use the third strap for peace of mind. On a couple of occasions I drove without the cam strap and ski did not move one inch.

Real reason for cam in my opinion is that "what if" scenario when the bungee snaps. However my bungees have NEVER failed.

As I said 2 bungees on front and rear now that is redundancy. No way 2 bungees are going to fail at the same time.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29806 by drjay9051

Dasher wrote: Dr. Jay,

You mentioned you use this setup for a V10 Sport and a Stellar SR. Is the Sport and SR the 2nd Gen. If so which do you prefer and for what reason? I am in the hunt for a second ski and have been looking at the Sport and the SR. Also which is faster? I do kayak triathlons.

Thanks for any info,

Rod

Sport and SR both first gen. Honestly I see little difference in speed but as the V10S is a bit less stable (for me) it seems to be a bit faster but over a course of say 3 miles I'm thinking by a few seconds given the same paddler.

Here is an interesting link re: speed differences by G. Barton. Looks like very little is gained in a tippier ski unless you are at the level where a minute or two really matters. I am nowhere near that level paddler.

www.surfskinews.com/blog-2016-decjan-201...son-with-greg-barton

I am considering selling the V10 in ultra layup . If interested where are you located? If not near Florida likely not worth it to pay shipping.

• Dasher
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #29808 by Dasher
Dr. Jay.

I live in Northern New York state. Almost in Canada. I was looking at getting a 2nd Gen V10 Sport. I paddled the 1st Gen V10 Sport and stability was okay. I felt that within a month or so that I would be fine in it on flat or small chop. The 2nd Gen is supposed to better stability and speed.

Thanks for the feedback,

Rod

More
6 years 6 months ago #29809 by WingSuit
Back to the rack. Thule and Yakima are 20 percent off at REI right now if you need the base rack.

• Dasher
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #29810 by Dasher
Thanks WingSuit. I have already ordered the crossrails for the Patriot. They are on their way. The GoodBoys, from Cliff, are complete and attach to the crossrails. The GoodBoys are also on their way.

Rod

More
6 years 6 months ago #29811 by drjay9051

Dasher wrote: Dr. Jay.

I live in Northern New York state. Almost in Canada. I was looking at getting a 2nd Gen V10 Sport. I paddled the 1st Gen V10 Sport and stability was okay. I felt that within a month or so that I would be fine in it on flat or small chop. The 2nd Gen is supposed to better stability and speed.

Thanks for the feedback,

Rod

No problem, Rod.

Long time ago i used to ski Whiteface,Lake Placid.

bit too cold to paddle in winter but beautiful country.

Latest Forum Topics