How to tell the difference between a Gen2 V12 and V14?

More
5 days 23 hours ago #41038 by kayakingguy
Have a nice used V12 ski I picked up, Elite layup, but it doesn't have markings I noticed after I got it home. I've heard the basic dimensions are identical on the V12 and V14, just a different hull shape accounts for the stability.

I can't see any side-by-side pics to compare them. Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference (if no markings?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 days 22 hours ago #41039 by zachhandler
Easiest would be if you take some pics and post them here

Current Skis: Nelo Vanquish AIR, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic v10g3, Kai Waa Vega, Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 days 20 hours ago - 5 days 20 hours ago #41040 by kayakingguy
Did some homework and found some good comparison pics of V12 vs V14 in side and profile and put them together.
Both great skis, didn't know much about the difference but seeing the shapes side-by-side helps.
Hard to get a definitive answer on which gen is which even using the dated search option on Google, so I'm guessing these are both Gen2 in the pic I made.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 days 20 hours ago by kayakingguy.

More
5 days 13 hours ago #41041 by zachhandler
I was hoping for a pic of your ski, but regardless, one easy way to tell is by the bow when viewed from the side. V14 has a vertical chisel-like bow profile. V12 gen 2 has a rounded up bow, as in your pic. V12 gen 3 has symmetrically rounded bow.

Current Skis: Nelo Vanquish AIR, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic v10g3, Kai Waa Vega, Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
4 days 11 hours ago #41042 by waverider
A v12 gen 1 also has the square chisel nose. Square chisel noses are the old hull profiles and as the v14 hasnt really gone through regenerations it still has old shape. I think it has narrower catch and tail with less volume making it efficient for flat water. The 12 has more buoyancy volume for waves.