Technique for Tight Turns

More
7 years 6 months ago #27194 by drjay9051
In my kayaks to turn hard right I will use a sweep stroke and edge to the left. Now in my surf ski if i want to make a tight turn (similar to how I see racers rounding a bouy) do i just use regular stroke with wing paddle and stomp on the right rudder pedal or should i edge the ski similar to my kayaks? If edging i assume edge the left to turn right and vise versa correct?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 6 months ago #27196 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Technique for Tight Turns
To make a sharp right turn (similar to a buoy turn) I find the following to be most helpful and fastest. So in the order of importance:
1. Breathe (that means exhale more than you normally would)
2. Pick up more speed before turning (Sprint hard)
3. Right pedal down (find that sweat spot)
4. Lean back (way back for a split second)
5. Lean forward and sweep once on your front left
6. Resume normal paddling (right left right left)
7. Sprint to regain a good cruising speed

Relax after all the above by forcing yourself to breathe (exhaling), perhaps while going downwind if you are able to.

Longer rudder have a tendency to make you turn faster.
Everything being equal, a ski with less rocker will be slower at turning.
Shorter skis will usually turn faster.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
7 years 6 months ago #27198 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Technique for Tight Turns
Appreciate the info. Is the quick lean back a technique to get some forward momentum into the turn ?

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 6 months ago #27199 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Technique for Tight Turns
The goal is to lift the front end to reduce your ski's surface on the water. If turning right, you'd lean back really fast, just as you take the final stroke on your right. Let the paddle "drag" a little way behind you. Think "Outrigger Canoe" more than surfski with a rudder, but only for a split second.

If you are not super comfortable with the lean back, you are best skipping it altogether. It can otherwise slow you down. So if you are going to skip #4, simply go from step #3 to step #5 in a HURRY. Make sure you lean way forward for a very efficient and powerful sweep on your left.

drjay9051 wrote: Appreciate the info. Is the quick lean back a technique to get some forward momentum into the turn ?

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
7 years 5 months ago #27202 by Schravesande
Turning on a can in a kayak while racing few paddlers take a sweep stroke. Costs too much momentum! Those that turned the best when I was racing simply paddled harder with the emphasis on the outside blade and "edged" the kayak to the outside.i.e.left when turning right.
I have not found this technique to help much on a surfski. I think that the rocker is more than on a K1. On a run or surfing a wave I lean the ski in the direction I want to turn and find this helps. probably because the nose is out of the water and you are riding on the rocker. Differs from ski to ski.

Latest Forum Topics