Paddling in Marina Del Rey

More
10 years 4 months ago #19159 by 7ender
Hey guys,
Does anyone here paddle in Marina Del Rey, CA? I am new to the sport, I paddled a few times in San Diego but am now located in Los Angeles and looking for somewhere local to get out.

I have heard of people starting from mother's beach, is there anything I should know about taking my surfski here or maybe where to head to after getting in?

I paddle a Fenn XT, but I am new enough to the sport that I still manage to tip it over quite often. Would this be any sort of problem in the marina as it seems there may be alot of boat traffic?

And lastly, would it be ridiculous to wear a wetsuit while paddling? Seeing that the water is getting quite cold now, and my inevitable tip over, I feel it would be alot more enjoyable that way.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19161 by steyn
Replied by steyn on topic Paddling in Marina Del Rey
Hi 7ender,

Yes, there are a few people paddling surfskis out of Mother's Beach. Some paddlers are competitive and regularly train during the week and others like myself paddle mostly on weekends just for fun. You will run into us sooner or later.

It's the best spot to paddle from in the Santa Monica area. Easy (metered) parking and convenient free facilities (toilet and water hoses). It's safe to paddle in the marina. Just stay to the side of the waterways until your balance improves. Plenty of kayakers & SUP's. Once you master boat wake riding you will appreciate the boat traffic. It's about a two mile paddle to the ocean. Venice Beach & Santa Monica to the north and Manhattan Beach to the south.

Wearing a wetsuit is your choice and would not be ridiculous. However, I recommend getting neoprene pants & jersey. Far easier to paddle with than a wetsuit.

See you out there. Have fun!

More
10 years 4 months ago #19179 by 7ender
Replied by 7ender on topic Paddling in Marina Del Rey
Thank for the advice Steyn. Just finished prepping my ski, so hopefully i'll see you out there someday!

Latest Forum Topics