New V10

More
11 years 3 months ago #14964 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Re: New V10
Hey Jerry, You'll like the new model V8...I had the old version(in Ultra) and recieved one of the first of the new model(also in Ultra) in Australia here beginning of December...much faster so far top speed 21.7km/hr...absolutely love it in reasonable surf(3-4m).

Regards,

Simon

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #14966 by CyberSki
Replied by CyberSki on topic Re: New V10
"top speed 21.7km/hr...absolutely love it in reasonable surf(3-4m).
"

...WTF??

You guys are not surfski paddlers - you are GODS if you can paddle that fast and do 12' surf in a V8!!!

I am getting the same ski and will be ecstatic if I manage to hit 12km/hr..and manage the boat in 3' surf.

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

• Jerry
  • Visitor
11 years 3 months ago #14968 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic Re: New V10
:laugh: We are so far off topic, but......

Simon:

Thanks for your input, yes I have the old style V8 and really like it too, paddling it today in harsh weather. Never been a very fast boat but one that will handle big conditions. Anxious to see it's looks and build quality.

Scott:

Not sure how fast I've been on the V8, but with a stiff tailwind and riding the tide into Newark Bay I can recall 17 km/hr and laughing because the boat was so stable.

Oscar paddles this boat at crazy speeds so potentially it's there.

You'll have fun on your's in the "sound".

Jerry

More
11 years 3 months ago #14969 by hamishglen
Replied by hamishglen on topic Re: New V10
yes - far off topic, but I have had my 'old' V8 ultra at 18.2km in the surf at Pt Leo, Vic. And I consider myself a newbie. connect.garmin.com/activity/256457738

I've only had this boat for a few months and regret not going for the V10 Sport.

So which is the next boat for me? The V10 sounds to be too far a jump, and the V10 Sport sounds to be too short a jump..

More
11 years 3 months ago #14970 by Simon Haywood
hamishglen, That's easy...Keep the V8 and just buy a second ski! I've got the V10sport(Ultra) also...Haven't mastered the balance in moderate condions in V10S so I use the V8 for conditions such as yesterday - Wind 15-20knts seas 3-3.5M - 18km. Racing the V10sport today on flat water today - 14km.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
11 years 3 months ago #14972 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Re: New V10
Relevant to recent posts but bringing closer to original thread, stability and fit are closely related. CyberSki, Jerry and JohnK discussed SEL/V10 stability with the valid opinion that one boat commonly accepted as being less stable than another was found by one person at least to being other way around - that is Jerry finding his SEL to be less stable than his V10.

As posted previously I far prefer the SES to the SE and SEL because I feel much more a part of the boat/boat an extension of me. The SEL is a more stable platform but I feel I am swishing around in it. Stability, apart from the obvious very wide vs very narrow, is a relative thing.

Fit is one thing, conditions being raced/paddled in another. Brings me to your comment hamishglen about locating a boat between V10S and V10, if not one or other of these. Wally (Walter Chalupsky) for example is belting some people in tippier, faster boats paddling his V10S. Mate of mine who is a decent paddler racing a V12 beat W by a minute or so on flattish water yet W belted him (and many others in narrow boats) by, in my mate's case, 15 mins in rough stuff.

What conditions are you going to be paddling in? What counts most? I've a lot to learn when it gets big in the SES but I'm learning, improving, gaining more confidence every time I go out. I love the challenge. I also love how good the boat feels on the flat and in smaller stuff - it flies and I'm on top of world. Sure Wally would fly past in both conditions but I'd be a lot closer in smooth stuff.

There is simply no one boat for all occasions; middle order boats of which there is an abundance, are the compromises. Agree wholeheartedly with Sumo - keep the V8 and buy a second ski. Get a narrow-gutted (albeit paddle-able), racy, gorgeous boat that you can pose in, belt on the flat and slowly skill up. There are some brilliant boats out there. It's only money after all. Live the dream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hamishglen

More
11 years 2 months ago #15103 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Re: New V10
Have you tried your new V8 yet?

More
11 years 2 months ago #15121 by hamishglen
Replied by hamishglen on topic Re: New V10
A question for you Sumo – do you see a sizable difference in ability required between your V8 and V10 Sport?

Also, have you paddled a ‘standard issue’ V10 – and if so were you paddling or swimming?

I've only paddled my V8, but I've put 550km on the odometer in the past 4 months in all conditions.

I’m hoping to trial a V10 before next weekends Great Ocean Paddle if the Epic team have one available. The next boat will either be the V10 Sport, or the 'new' V10 provided I can create forward momentum and stay upright in choppy, but not huge conditions..

More
11 years 2 months ago #15130 by Simon Haywood
Sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread...I'm just answering a direct question.

G'day Hamishglen,

I have a straight flush - V8, V10S & V12 (all in Ultra spec)...perhaps an Epic fetish!

It really depends on the conditions and your stability in your ski relevant to those conditions...Horses for courses
Unfortunately, I've never paddled the V10 so I can't comment on that.

For me(and its different for everybody) I find that in anything over 15knots I'm just as fast in my V8 over my V10 sport(which I use for flat water marathon paddling and smallish waves on the river - 1m) - but I've only been paddling for 16 weeks in the ocean and not quite a year paddling in general. Without doubt - You need stability first so you can apply maximum power without compromise.

Just for fun...I bought a V12 recently - I've only just started paddling the V12(only in really flat water - read - mill pond) I really like the lines of the V12 - However, I'm just as quick over a long distance in the V10sport in flat water - early days still (V12 is on weight spec-13.5kg & V10 sport is 2kg lighter than spec @ 11.4kg). I think it just comes down to BOST (bum on seat time)...The more you put in the better you get...ask me again in 16 weeks. I'm more stable in the V12 than I was in V10sport two weeks in.

What I've observed in such a short time in the ocean...There are lots of people paddling in the ocean in skis that are too advanced for their ability and struggling and perhaps not really enjoying their leisure time...For me - I love the V8(2013 model)...I just go out and paddle no real thinking required or worrying about stability - so I 'm relaxed - I paddle for fun downwind - surfing and some exercise...So I now have a ski for every condition - in the ocean and river...No compromise!

Regards,

Simon (sumo)

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Latest Forum Topics