First attempt at a surfski

More
11 years 6 months ago #13739 by 1xsculler
This gives me something entirely different to focus on while paddling. I didn't hear anything quite like this in the Forward Stroke DVDs I've watched.
This forum is a wealth of great information for the aspiring paddler!

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13741 by Marieski

Zephyrus wrote: 1xsculler, I've always been curious how single scullers stay perfectly balanced on a 12 inch wide craft and sitting way up high.

I assume because the paddles are so far out, they act as solid outriggers. But what about stability during the recovery.

A surfski/kayak would seem to have the advantages of an alternating stroke, lower seat, are wider, and have a forward facing position (human's being genetically more comfortable going forward).

Why would a kayak be difficult to balance coming from a scull?

I reckon the inertia of the riggers and oars sticking so far out either side would help. Like a tightrope walker's pole.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 6 months ago #13743 by sAsLEX

1xsculler wrote: There exists NO training wheels in a surfski or a K1.

I disagree - www.huki.com/index.php?page=Gull_Wing

As someone about to jump into the sport this is encouraging, I am quite happy with sitting on a swiss ball and can balance whilst "paddling" my broom on the ball. Saturday is the first day in a boat and I cant wait.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13746 by dkjens
It's refreshing and nice to hear about another surfski newbie with similar problems as I. I'm 48, has paddled ocean kayak (Point65N XP18) since spring this year and got a surfski (Point65N Bourbon Orca Xtralight 15Kg) in August. I have a couple of problems myself in this ski. I am able to stay upright and do some paddling but when waves and wakes hit me from the side the paddle goes in the water for stability. My lower back and mid section get tired quite fast when I sit in the right (sligthly forward leaning) position and overall I get tired rather fast. I think it's due in large part to how much I sit and concentrate and use my hips to stay upright in this ski. I hope to be working on a deal where I may be able to trade it for en Epic 10 Sport which should give me more stability but I will also look to get one of these balls to sit on and work on my balance whenever I can. If the deal doesn't go through I'll just have to bite the bullit and keep working on the Bourbon Orca he he, and get a little more wet.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13749 by Rightarmbad
With the scull you can always just hold both oars together and let the buoyancy of the oars hold you up.
You can also skim them across the water during recovery for stability. Just like we drag our blade on a downhill run.

I was dumped straight into a racing scull and never fell out, but I did stop using my legs a lot and just floated the oars whenever it got too much for me.

I rekon they are way harder than a ski to balance.

Kayak champions is wise advice.
That's why whenever you get tentative you feel wobbly.
The stability definitely comes from the paddle, paddle hard and properly and you have pole capable of holding up a truck if need be.
Be especially wary of paddling too far towards the back.
Start the stroke well in front
Get the stroke over early and get it out early.

The blade offers no support once it goes behind you, as the blade faces the wrong direction to support you, it actually wants to go to the bottom once it goes past your hips.

If you fall out, it is usually with the paddle behind you around or near either side of exit time.

But mainly, don't stress out about it, it will happen, sometimes in major steps where you just go out one day and it all clicks.

Time on task is the secret until it becomes a learned action.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
The following user(s) said Thank You: seamonkey

More
11 years 6 months ago #13756 by Schravesande
All good advice so far but here is my pennyworth.
1. Stick to the boat you have. You may take a little longer but you will get there soon enough.
2. Adjust your footrest so that your legs are extended as far as comfortably possible. This lowers your knees and thus center of gravity. Later as you improve you can move to a more appropriate position.
3. Take relatively short paddle strokes i.e start with the blade well forward but do not pull past hip line. You will notice that every time you fall out you had a blade well past this point!
4. Perhaps the most important thing is self confidence. When you lack confidence you tend to tense up and then you are headed for the water. Especially you should force your legs to relax. You cannot paddle properly until you manage this.
5. Try not to take brace stokes but rather simply get your body in the upright position. The boat will not fall over while you are upright but is likely to when you lean over. Obviously you will on occasion be forced to brace but even then try not to lean far over.
6. Keep going at all times. you will soon enough find that it is much easier to paddle through a rough patch than to hesitate.
7. Get onto stroke correction as soon as possible. It is much easier to learn correct techniques now rather than try to correct bad habits later
Hope some of this helps

Latest Forum Topics