Fenn Swordfish REVIEW

More
11 years 11 months ago #11253 by chriswalkeralive
I just thought I'd update this posting with a plus 5 months paddling review of the swordfish...I've paddled nearly every day for 5 months in windless conditions like a lake to 35kn winds and rebound off the cliffs that made me sea sick. I've fallen in only once and that was last week when I got caught inside a breaking swell and forgot I was on a ski and automatically high braced instead of running with the break. Other than that, my carbon swordy is absolutely immaculate. No leaks, no rattles, no seam issues and the rudder is as robust as the day it arrived. I train with guys on elite skis and have to work a little harder than they do on the flat to stay at the same pace when we're running flat out but once we're in sea with some energy, the swordy is so easy to manage. I wouldn't change a thing. And, the carbon gel-coat is amazing. Not even a mark after all the usual bumps a ski lives through. The most fun I've had is on runs. It's just a breeze to do the Oscar 90 degree quadrant...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riggers1973

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #15792 by slim white
A big ball of contradictions, sorry but you could address somebody to a big mistake. To say that the V10 has the same stability of a XT means that you sleep in a wire during nights, because you have a very very good stability,hahaha

When you get what you want you don´t want what you get

More
11 years 1 week ago #15795 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish REVIEW

Kayaker Greg wrote: Only thing holding me back from buying a SEL is the length is hard to fit in my garage with my 4 other kayaks/skis, because they sound so good from all the reports. And the cost, not cheap here in NZ. Will have to try a Swordfish when they finally become available in September :S

How was the Swordfish today Greg?

More
11 years 1 week ago #15796 by Kayaker Greg
Pretty good! Although I was a little loose in the bucket, just in the process this arvo of fitting some pads etc to take care of that which will help even more for next time. More stable than my SEL in the rough stuff, catches waves nicely, easy to leap to the wave further in front, tends to want to broach a bit especially at slower speeds and now I know what a stalled rudder feels like. A bit wetter than the SEL but the cockpit empties at twice the speed of the SEL, nor does it hold as much water. I fitted some bullets to the twin scuppers last night and it drains very quick so that's pleasing. Tried a couple of remounts, seems pretty easy to get back in. Secondary stability is fantastic. Paddled along the beach with waves side on, no problems at all.

More
11 years 1 week ago #15797 by sAsLEX
Where did you get your bullets from?

Good to hear you enjoyed it!

More
11 years 1 week ago #15798 by Kayaker Greg
Oscar has made some plastic ones. I know the difference they make to draining so asked him if he had any, which he did. I enjoyed the shorter length of the Swordfish in those conditions, makes it easier going out into the waves as well. I have always felt the 6.4-6.5 metres skis are to big for me.

More
11 years 1 week ago #15799 by sAsLEX

Kayaker Greg wrote: Oscar has made some plastic ones. I know the difference they make to draining so asked him if he had any, which he did. I enjoyed the shorter length of the Swordfish in those conditions, makes it easier going out into the waves as well. I have always felt the 6.4-6.5 metres skis are to big for me.

What speed were his gurgling at?

I made some with little real experimentation so his are more likely a touch better!

More
11 years 1 week ago #15800 by Kayaker Greg
I didn't notice the speed but the cockpit was draining very quickly compared to my SEL which drains just under 8kph with a single scupper and bullet.

More
1 year 6 months ago #40123 by pilotdov
Replied by pilotdov on topic Fenn Swordfish REVIEW
That is a great review. I am also looking to get a Swordfish, and I want to clarify something.

I heard that after the factory fire, they redesigned the seat, and it's not as comfortable as the ones made before the fire. I hear different things from different dealers. I also hear that they are now on Gen-2 of the Pheonix Swordfish and that the seat has been redesigned and is better than Gen-1, which was right after the fire.

There is much confusion out there, and it's not clear. I am looking to order a Swordfish from my dealer in the next few days and want to figure this out before I do that.

Latest Forum Topics