Fenn Swordfish REVIEW

More
12 years 4 months ago #9077 by chriswalkeralive
Yes, I agree 100% .. it's the ski plus the supplier - agent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9078 by chriswalkeralive
I've just ordered another carbon Swordfish. Moved up again from the Vacuum Glass. Here's what my friend (a kayaker who's just started on my original Carbon Swordfish) emailed me. "I took the ski to Bundeena and shared it with Shaan and some kayak students I was instructing for the weekend. There were a few wobbles but basically they all just jumped in and paddled it. I paddled it back from Jibbon beach with the wind and waves behind me which was great fun, just loved it. And my paddle stroke has improved out of site, The new and improved paddle stroke from paddling the the ski is working, I did a PB on Wed night and went just under 70mins - something I've wanted to do for ages and couldn't even do in the double. I was exhausted but felt good, especially when a couple of the guys that are always faster than me could not keep up with me. Thanks for everything"

More
12 years 4 months ago #9144 by cdo
Replied by cdo on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish REVIEW
I eventually got to paddle the Swordfish.....what an great fun boat!
It fitted me like a glove which even added to the already impressive stability. My only concerns are potentially the build with long term ownership and the speed. Yes it always seemed fast but the GPS actually showed it not to be as fast as it felt. I suspect it is a boat that gets progressively faster compared to some other skis as the waves build though.
Personally I find it butt ugly but all is forgiven after paddling it. The finish is excellent but the flat rear deck in particular appears to flex easily...perhaps they should have had some more contours here to add strength. I am impressed.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #9147 by AR_convert

cdo wrote: I eventually got to paddle the Swordfish.....what an great fun boat!
It fitted me like a glove which even added to the already impressive stability. My only concerns are potentially the build with long term ownership and the speed. Yes it always seemed fast but the GPS actually showed it not to be as fast as it felt. I suspect it is a boat that gets progressively faster compared to some other skis as the waves build though.

Thanks for that, I reckon you might be spot on, for many of us these ski's may not show big improvements on the GPS....until we get into the lumpier stuff or start to fatigue.

I don't think we'll have to wait long on the light build question, there are a lot being sold so if we start to see them pop up on geartrade (an australian surf gear trading website) or speak to owners at races we'll soon know how they are holding up to the rigours of racing ;)

I must admit I have seen a few V12's being sold recently, one was really cheap, and while I dont know why, I'd like to speculate they maybe intermediate paddlers dropping back to join the likes of me :whistle:

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by AR_convert.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9150 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish REVIEW
I reckon I passed 5 boats in the classic paddle where the paddlers had gone swimming. One atom and 4 v12's. That might have something to do with it. Mind you the flatter it got the faster they went.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #9151 by AR_convert
Gidday Dicko, mate remember we're talking in an international forum, perhaps explaining the conditions that the classic paddle were held in would keep our international friends in the picture. (Very choppy, bathtub conditions for the first 1-2km, then side on 1 ft chop for approx 2-3km, then boats wakes, refractory waves for the remainder)

I need reminding from time to time too :silly:

A little while ago Rob (surfski.info site operator) told me that Australian's were leading the site membership and I reckon us West Aussies make up a fair proportion of that. Fancy us Aussies being outspoken on issues ;)

Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by AR_convert.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9159 by cdo
Before I raise this let me say this is pure speculation but:
When the Swordfish was first released I appear to recall that the Vacuum Glass layup was advertised as being 13kg? Interestingly the Vacuum Glass layout is definately advertised now as 14.5kg. Does this mean they have already identified some "issues" and have beefed up the newer boats?

More
12 years 4 months ago #9160 by Rightarmbad
I think that the only issue raised would have been accuracy.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 4 months ago #9161 by cdo
RAB: "I think that the only issue raised would have been accuracy".

You are probably correct..... regardless the Swordfish 'now' at 14.5kg, given its short length, is actually not a light weight compared to other skis in Vacuum Glass.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9162 by AR_convert

cdo wrote: I appear to recall that the Vacuum Glass layup was advertised as being 13kg? Interestingly the Vacuum Glass layout is definately advertised now as 14.5kg.

Yes, you are correct, there is still some reviews around on the net that have this 13kg figure. Very wise indeed if they have slightly upped the build spec.

....and I remember a friend of mine getting excited about this claimed weight due to the cost saving over other lighter skis.

Anyway, hopefully if there have been identified issues they have indeed improved construction.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9169 by chriswalkeralive
Speculation aside integrity seems to the motive for Fenn re defining weight. The range is definately 13.5 tp around 14.0 kg.. Mine, weighed on accurate scales was 14 kg... Which is less than 5% tolerance to nominated ski weight. Seems brilliant accuracy to me. I guess Fenn realize that people think the nominate weight is maximum, not average...

More
12 years 4 months ago #9208 by chriswalkeralive
My new swordfish carbon just arrived and it's immaculate. Weight is well below the promised 12 kg and I'm stoked about that. Finish is superb and, as with my first one, she goes like a rocket...

More
12 years 4 months ago #9278 by chriswalkeralive
Enjoying my Fenn Swordfish in Carbon, and can't believe how different the ski is from its twin the vacuum fibreglass... Totally different experience to paddle .. I'm 87-90 kg depending on the day of week, and I still bounce around on the Carbon ski like a cork ... the ski "pops" between runners and in windy side chop just loves to play. Compared to the fibreglass ski which seems to sit a little longer in the water and is more "smooth" in serious weather. I'd say the carbon Swordfish has all of the elements I loved so much in the Fenn Elite but none of the things I struggled to master. Ergonomically, the Swordfish is great for my back too. As recommended by those in the know "build on a stable platform" and their advice was first class. My speed over distance has improved and I'm not so burned out (I need all the help I can get at 59) ... I'd still say that of ski's I've owned or paddled extensively the Fenn Swordfish Carbon, Evo Carbon, Epic V10 Performance layup and Vajda 11kg are similar stability once moving...

More
12 years 4 months ago #9279 by boss
is there much difference in volume with the vajda and the swordfish ? and did you do any comparsions. what swayed you to the swordfish. is ther much difference in cost with these craft.

THXS

More
12 years 4 months ago #9290 by chriswalkeralive
Re Vadja and Swordfish... I'm not qualified to compare the two boats technically. However, there's a few reasons I sold the vajda and went for the swordfish. The first is a dumb reason, I wanted to have more fun. I found the vajda really competitive, and a great ski, but I wanted more playfulness in the ski, like my old fenn elite that jumped around and played like a dodgem car in mixed water, the swordfish is a dream at this. I'm not going to win the world champs so, for me, this was a big plus. Second, I wanted to feel more connected to the water through the ski and the swordfish is that.. Finally, I'd had a bit of an emotional connection to Fenn skis and got some great technical support from them for training etc. The last straw for me was the ease of renting Fenn skis at events where, in the past, people who paddled other brands had to change their normal ski to fenn or Epic if they travelled to an event. I don't think that's the case anymore. If yr looking for the fastest ski between A and B then Swordy is not the one, but if it's fun, play, runs and enjoyment, the swordy is spectacular (in my opinion.)

More
12 years 3 months ago #9333 by chriswalkeralive
Taken the Swordy out in some really messy ocean and have some new experiences. First is that the fiberglass vacuum is far easier to paddle in big mess and second, the Carbon is amazing. Ii think however, that all this talk is contextual. In big messy rebound all skis, even the great v8 and think eze will flip if not paddled right. Frankly, weird as this may sound, the elite ski is more stable in the messiest sea. ( in my experience) ... Again, this could be just me, the kayaker turned ski paddler.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10678 by Kennneee
I bought a Stellar SEL a few months back. It is my first ski and so far I am very pleased with it. I tried a Swordfish, but at the time I was so new to ski's, that I could not accurately compare them. I am curios is anyone can give a good comparison between the 2 boats in terms of speed and stability. Thanks.

Ken

More
12 years 1 month ago #10679 by cdo
Hi Ken,

Firstly I will point out I have only had a few experiences of the Swordfish but know the SEL very well. From my limited experience the Swordfish has a little bit more stability than the SEL (but it is so close its hard to tell)....speed I would give the edge to the SEL but again it is close. My gut is the SEL is slightly better downwind catching runs but again it is close. Both are great boats. The sensation of speed is greater in the Swordfish; the SEL is deceptive....you need a gps to believe just how quick it is.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10680 by Kayaker Greg
Only thing holding me back from buying a SEL is the length is hard to fit in my garage with my 4 other kayaks/skis, because they sound so good from all the reports. And the cost, not cheap here in NZ. Will have to try a Swordfish when they finally become available in September :S

More
12 years 1 month ago #10681 by Kneewall49
One thing to remember, and may not be applicable to everyone, is resale value. If you think two boats are about even you'd be mad to choose the one that will be harder to sell in future.

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

Latest Forum Topics