Balance to your Training Week

More
13 years 7 months ago #5075 by Rightarmbad
Giggle

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5076 by Rightarmbad
So I followed your links.
All but the last merely reinforce what I have said.

The last is interesting and as I read it, I had a feeling of de-ja-vu.(spelling?)
I may have read this when it first come out, but I'm thinking that maybe I read some other prelude to this by the Australian author.

All interesting and needs more follow up.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 7 months ago #5231 by Rightarmbad
Metabolic demands of kayaking

This is worth a read.
What I found interesting was a suggestion that lactic threashold on average was around 2.5.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5237 by MhojoNZ
Thanks. Seems to refer mostly to sprint kayaking but will have a proper look at it.

I've attached my latest race for any who want to comment. As per previous comments from rightarmbad I tried to sort out my race pacing. Possibly went too hard at the start still but wanted to keep up with a leading pack that broke away quickly. This strategy seem to pay off as I won my division!

connect.garmin.com/activity/48603685
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by MhojoNZ.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5307 by MhojoNZ
Here's a useful review article on tapering before competition (you should be able to access this as it's free content):

www.informaworld.com.ezproxy.auckland.ac...11&fulltext=71324092

More
13 years 7 months ago #5308 by Rightarmbad
Nup, wants a password.

Somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks is the general answer. Possibly up to 4 to 6 weeks if you are going for something big.
Depends on how far in to the valley of adaptation you have taken yourself in training and how much you want to give up overall development to perform well at that particular event.

More
13 years 6 months ago #5319 by Rightarmbad
How did you get the share thing to work for the Garmin? I don't have any success.

More
13 years 6 months ago #5320 by MhojoNZ
Click on the small padlock adjacent to the title of your activity.

You can also set default privacy under settings at the top right of the screen.

More
13 years 6 months ago #5334 by Paddle2Fitness
I can’t believe how big this very simple question has become. Please don’t dive too deep into the sports science because it will change next year and what you once were doing but changed because someone said it was wrong will come back as being right.

The "Balance your training week" was meant to explain a balance between sessions and recovery. It’s very hard to push and push and not have a rest.

If you are writing your own program, increase the work load over a 3 week period and then have a week recovery. This does not mean stop training, just back it all off to the same level as week 1. Then a 3 week build from this week and a week off again.

Athletes get caught up in heart rates, race times and what the winners are doing. Just find out what works for YOU.
I first said that training at 80%, 105% of your current race pace (i.e. over 6km) will train enough of your energy systems to improve. I have done this for the last 12 weeks and see 20% improvement in all my clients. Include some 15sec of max effort and you will be ok. For the sceptics, I had a meeting with an Olympic Gold Medal coach at the AIS last week and they train along the same lines.

Keep your training simple
:)

More
13 years 6 months ago #5335 by Pete
Hey P2F

Your right I have kept up with the posts and its way to complicated for an old warrior like me.

Could you explain that 80% 105% bit again.

I generally work on increasing thresholds,time and effort leading up to a big race (coolygold) then back off from say 2 weeks to freshen up.

Its simple but works for me - in a bad phase at the moment when I am fatigued most days ( but still have recovery sessions and a rest day), but can see the end is very close (22 wk program ) and have noticed I am gaining strengh and endurance every week that I am in this stage.

I have about 22 years of endurance behind me which started with 5 Forster ironman and just kept moving - but I can honestly say I have never had much idea and just like the training, the squads and the after party

Look forward to your more grounded comments.

Cheers

Pete :dry:

More
13 years 6 months ago #5336 by Rightarmbad
Yep a 4 week micro cycle is pretty common.

Nothing that has been talked about in this thread will change tomorrow. It's been known for more than twenty years.

Human make up is still the constant.

Pete is obviously quite deep into the valley of adaptation and will soon reap the rewards when he begins his taper.

I was once training a 17 yo male who had his sights on a 25 year old record for a middle distance swimming event.

Once we had begun to taper, I was concerned that we had started to late as a bit of a test session at the distance had him so far off pace it wasn't funny.
I stopped the watch early and showed him a time that was only 2 seconds off the record.
He was over the moon, but I was still a little concerned, but hopefully dangling the carrot like that would keep him in the right frame of mind.

A week later he smashed the record, not only in that event but in three other events as well.

I never told him what I had done so as to be able to use the same trick again later.

More
13 years 6 months ago #5352 by Rightarmbad
There's some good stuff here.

links to some good research

More
12 years 1 month ago #10350 by sea dog
AS the bike rider said I ride a lot, way too much talk get in the ski and paddle

More
12 years 1 month ago #10361 by Rightarmbad
You must have found something in there to keep you interested seadog.

As the thread is now been dormant for 17 months.............

More
12 years 1 month ago #10372 by sea dog
Hi I was looking for some balance exercises for me as I have a new ski my balance is good but there is always room for improvement and you can teach old dogs new tricks
I found out years ago when I first took up paddling (45 yrs ago) That time in the boat was the key to success in Marathon.

Latest Forum Topics