Surfski vs. SUP paddling

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 5 months ago #25066 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Surfski vs. SUP paddling
That's weird… I thought I was the only one feeling this way about paddling on SUP.
I started with 8 km paddle - and within a month was paddling 35+ km on my SUP. What's weird for me about that is that I wasn't hurting AT ALL.

As the name states, this is stand up paddling… so I thought I would be soar.
I love surfski paddling, but while sitting down, legs and abs hurt after every paddling sessions.

Glad to hear I am not the only one (sorry for your pain though) :)

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #25068 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Surfski vs. SUP paddling
My exact experience as well! I've done Maui to Molokai a few times on a SUP and not saying it's easy but it is quite doable. I can't even imagine going that far on a ski and feeling fine after 47k and for me 4 1/2 hours, I think part of it is the relative freedom to move and constantly changing body position.
While paddling a ski uses many large muscle groups so does a SUP once you get some technique and experience. And on a SUP I regularly change and blend different paddling techniques to take the pressure off the tired bits!

More
8 years 5 months ago #25069 by downwinda
Replied by downwinda on topic Surfski vs. SUP paddling
I'm with photofr on the winter training aspect of the SUP. In a ski, no matter what you do, you get wet. Flat , bumpy, it doesn't matter, the end result is being soaked with frigid water! If it's flat, I use the SUP, step off the dock, paddle, step back on, I've even used ski gloves on a real cold day.

That said, when there are bumps, I prefer my OC-1 or ski.......In that order in winter because the outrigger is a dryer ride.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #25168 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic Surfski vs. SUP paddling
starts with a double paddle ... ends with sitting down ... ;)

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Uffilation.

• Cpdsyd
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #25677 by Cpdsyd
Replied by Cpdsyd on topic Surfski vs. SUP paddling
Reviving an old thread....... Yeah it's interesting. I am relatively new to both these sports, but loving both for different reasons.

Exercise wise they are different. The SUP is a much less efficient way of getting around, and you are able to use more big muscles, really get the legs driving along with everything else. After a ski paddle I am sore for a few days afterwards, that will lessen as I become more accustomed to it and more efficient I am sure. But the SUP from day one is less specific to a few muscles.

I view the ski my exercise and the SUP more for a relax and fun (often with my family also).

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #25907 by Uffilation
I must admit, that I consider flat water SUP paddling, the kind we see here in Europe on inner lakes, annoying to watch, most of these herd type trend followers are just tooooo coool compared to their arkward paddling abilities ... and those hip bags.

But besides those flat water fashion victims, it´s sure a great thing to do with kids and sure makes fun as an alternative work out on the water. I am open to stuff like that, so I'll give it a try for the reasons stated here in the thread above.. Even if I look even more arkward than the cool dudes.

But what really makes me understand about SUP paddling, is a SUP in its natural habitat (says a guy who paddles surfskis on inner lakes :lol: :whistle: ):

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Uffilation.

• Cpdsyd
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #25910 by Cpdsyd
Yeah havent seen any SUPers with bumbags here thankfully. It is pretty fun in surf and downwinders. Also cool when the water is clear and lots of fish / marine life as you have a totally different perspective being higher up than on a surfski.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #25911 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Surfski vs. SUP paddling
Hey wait a minute... are you sure those fashionable "Hip Bags" and "Bumbags" aren't Coast guard or some other Government required flotation devices. Might want to lighten up a little!?
I wear one when I SUP paddle to be legal and I am inclined to be offended by your comments.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Fath2o.

• Cpdsyd
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #25912 by Cpdsyd
lol no offence intended if it is not a fashion choice but a mandatory item.

We are not yet covered by any such requirement here for SUPs - whereas surf skis must wear a PFD.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #25920 by Uffilation
Fath2o, no offence ...
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Uffilation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #25921 by Uffilation
Fath2o, no offence ... I would never dare making fun about safety, and no, not for flotation, SUPers here are way to cool for any safety measures ... I was kidding about the usual trend followers, those here in Europe, main land, mimicking SUP magazine front page ocean paddlers on flat inner lakes, in coolness, style, etc, except for cool movements and safety gear or correct clothing regarding water temperature. I meant real hip bags, fashion ones, not inflatable ones. Some lakes aound larger cities here are so crowded by now, you could walk from one shore to the other without your own board ... their hip bags might be even empty or still have that stuffing cardboard in it ...

hey, plz note, most times of the day, I make fun about myself though, so many reasons lol ... and again, says someone, who paddles surfski on inner lakes ... with an uncool pfd etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
8 years 1 month ago #25927 by Fath2o
That would be a sight to see! Around here a lot of very attractive women only wear bikinis, makes my day. Then there's the folks with dogs that have PFD's but the paddlers don't. It is amazing how the popularity of SUP's has exploded.
SUP-ers are quite unwelcome in the surf zone around here
though. Where I regularly surf, they will actually get chased out of the area. Unless they are very skilled and experienced they tend to be a real safety hazard. Any time I see an SUP-er paddling out through the surf on their knees I get a bit concerned no matter what there wearing.
Thanks for clearing up the "hip bag" issue, no offence taken.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #25928 by photofr
There are, in my opinion, 3 main categories for SUP:
- SUP surf
- SUP long distance
- SUP all around

By far, the most popular is SUP all around, where it seems everyone is getting a board to play around and get a little bit of exercise. These make up about 80% of all SUP sales (they include inflatable, and touring boards).

Second, SUP long distance and racing where the numbers seem to go up and down like a yoyo. To me, that's the part of SUP that provides great satisfaction, somewhat similar but still different from surfski.

Third is the SUP surf market. Surprisingly enough though, most beginners get into SUP because they like the lifestyle and imagine portrayed by the surfing aspect of SUP. Remarkably, most don't even make it to the surf zone - ever.

SUP is also growing with the following:
SUP polo (brand new)
SUP whitewater
SUP Yoga
SUP fishing

Personally, I love SUP, and I usually paddle more than 2000 km a year on my boards - but my heart is without a doubt with surfskis - mainly because it's THE CRAFT for me for any day, any weather, any storm, upwind, downwind, cold or warm.

I also feel that they both complement one another quite well.

Surfing? I can do without... there are just way to many people these days...

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #25931 by Uffilation
photofr,
your list is not up to date, may I complete?

SUP Polo
SUP whitewater
SUP Yoga
SUP fishing
SUP kiting
SUP Tai Chi
SUP Sushi preparation, teaching skills with knife and balance,
SUP bowling
SUP archery
SUP painting, courses given by son of Bob Ross
SUP bungee jumping
SUP BBQing , for men
SUP Feng shui
SUP cross country
SUP golf
SUP military
SUP areobics
SUP Pillates
SUP Pottery making
SUP Karaoke
SUP Martial arts ( the crane)
SUP Origami
SUP Makrame
SUP Paint ball
final evolution stages might be:
SUP kneel down w double paddle
SUP sit on top w double paddle
SUP sit in bucket w double paddle
SUP sit in bucket with foot straps and double paddle
Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by Uffilation.

More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #25932 by Uffilation
I am getting one this spring, not trying to make it an allaround one for the above though lol ... we have lots of wind and choppy days, but for the flatter ones, will do some test paddling, no idea what size I need

hmm, thinking, that future SUP Origami hype might be the next big thing for those waterproof paper manufacturers ... if you see paper adds in your fav. SUP magazine soon, you might tell, that SUP Origami hype hype is artificial

Googled a bit, SUP POLO is around since couple of years, but I like that Lacrosse-inspired paddle idea, I could really see that in out local sports club for the kids during summer ...

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 4 weeks ago #25933 by photofr
Interestingly enough, top-level surfski paddlers have one ski they train and race on for every single ocean and lake conditions, sometimes two when we include a K-1 for training.

Top-level SUP paddlers need at least 3 boards just to compete in Europe, many of them have 4 boards, and that's not including their BBQ or Yoga board.

Still, SUP yoga may seem like a far stretch for many of us surfski paddlers, but I assure you that the number is really growing - and people pay good money to attend courses.

I have one surfski, for all conditions that I use for everything from dead-flat water to huge downwind, and everything in between.

For SUP, it's a different story. I use one 17'6 for flat water training, one 14' for flat water racing, one 14' for all around and downbreeze, and I am still missing the 18' downwind board. If I had to do it all over again, I would choose ONLY two boards: an 18' for camping / downwind / photography and a 14' flat water board. That would mean very limited racing opportunities, but to each his own.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #25934 by Uffilation
SUP yoga is not too far fetched, if you love nature, 5am before work, sunrise in the summer, yoga on flat water near the shore in nice nature, that certainly has it, ... just depends on who and how ... and real Yoga is demanding and rewarding and exhausting, I can understand why poeple love to do it on the water, but commonly things are evaluated by the money you can earn with it:
"you that the number is really growing - and people pay good money to attend courses" ... I guess, there mb not a few coaches who now all of a sudden also offer sup yoga, would also sell their grandmas ... or have done so and now need to jump onto any trend that comes along.

More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #25937 by Fath2o
Female SUP yoga. Now there is something I want to watch.
Maybe I could start an SUP "camel tow in" surf camp.
:laugh:
Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by Fath2o.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #25954 by photofr
To all surfski lovers: here's the board that resembles the surfski the most
www.tourfr.com/56106

Detailed photos of the board with a virtual tour I created, and couple of action shots to go with it. This is a serious training board designed for speed.

I have to say: calm days for SUP and windy days for SURFSKI seems to work te best for me.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #26000 by Uffilation
regarding posting #25931 last steps ... on gumtree you find those older wave ski boards
vimeo.com/108750972

at photofr, reg. your head stand on that board ...
vimeo.com/44836600 B)
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Uffilation.

Latest Forum Topics