Surfski weight

More
16 years 10 months ago #622 by Hemd
Surfski weight was created by Hemd
Hey guys,

I read this site often, allthough I'm not a surfski paddler myself. Actually I practise the SurfLifeSaving sport and I am more of a beachie :P Now I read about the Dubai Shamaal contest, not that I want to win or anything, I never even paddle, because I never made it to the point of being stable on a surfski. ;D

I thought it might be something for my friends, who do paddle on surfski's, but then I read the weight of the Epic V10. Now I'm wondering; what are the rules for Surfski's in terms of weight? In our sport, the have to be at least 18 kilo's!!

An image of "Our Surfski"

How would you call the surfski's in our sport, since we would call yours Long Distance SurfSki's? :P (A Surf Life Saving Saving Ski Race course is about 700 metres and I think that's long!! ;) :P )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #623 by [email protected]
Hi Robert

We call your kind of ski a "spec" ski since it conforms to lifesaving specifications. There currently is no weight limit on our "long distance" skis although the draft ICF Ocean Racing specs call for 13kg to be the limit. With modern materials I think 13kg is overkill and I think a seaworthy craft can be made lighter.

Our races are usually a minimum of around 10km, but the World Cup type races are generally around 30km. We have ultra-marathon type races like the Cape Point Challenge (one day, 56km) and the four day Port Elizabeth to East London Challenge (4 days, 244km) - but that's strictly for maniacs!

Cheers
rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 9 months ago #624 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Surfski weight
I also paddle a spec surf ski, a burton ultimate wedge. What are the best times for 700 meter races? Speed via gps?