Epic mid wing = Jantex .....size?

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16000 by kayakchampeen
Please note that even as I pointed out the similarities in blade design, I constantly reiterated how nice Patrick's paddles are. Moreover, it's not necessarily a bad thing that it is in fact an industry standard design, because it is proven and works well for a variety of applications. Ultimately just about every wing paddle extant is derived from 3 or 4 original styles and I suppose that they could all be considered to be from the Rasmussen lineage. So, to be clear, I wasn't placing a value judgement on these similarities as they exist in paddles from every manufacturer. That said, I'm not the arbiter of what works best for an individual or even what may be best in the abstract. If I were shopping for a new paddle, an ONNO would actually be at the top of a short list of choices for me. I do have a very high estimation of these paddles, and can appreciate the fact that Patrick brought them to market, and that a USA made product can go toe to toe with any paddle out there in terms of Quality and performance. I feel as though i have exhausted my time on the soapbox for now, at least in this thread. I'll probably stop short of discussing the finer ponts of paddle design as it's often the case that, at best, it's difficult to discuss without visual corroboration. If i ever get my act together to post pics to the forum, It may help elucidate some of my ideas so that they are not entirely dependent on interpretation. When it is all said and done, each person has to see for themselves what works best for them, and it is perhaps unwise for me to extrapolate from my subjective take on things what other's preferences may be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16002 by Kennneee
Thanks again for all of the input. Sorry that some of the exchanges created bad feelings. I always hate to see that happen since we are all interested in the same sport.
I heard from Patrick at Onno and he is going to build me a paddle in the next few weeks. I should have it by the end of April and will give some feedback after I put a few miles on it. Enjoy.

Ken
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

More
10 years 4 months ago #19216 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti
Hi,
this is the gamma Jantex medium is equivalent to the wing SMALL medium epic?
or you can take a small gamma Jantex for either equivalent or is it really too small?

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #19218 by Kayaker Greg
No the Jantex Gamma medium is a bigger paddle than the Epic Small mid. I have not used the small Jantex Gamma but think it would be too small for most. I have word that Jantex are in the process of making an in between size Gamma to fit between the small and medium. The importer of Jantex into NZ had his Jantex Gamma medium trimmed by who ever makes the Jantex paddles last time he was overseas. I trimmed mine also until it felt just right for me and enabled the kind of cadence I was looking for. When compared with my friends one that was trimmed by Jantex they were identical as far as we could tell.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

Latest Forum Topics