Geigerrig vs KoleGear Pressurised Hydration System

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #10076 by portmanm
Looking at these two pressurised systems (below) and want any feedback from people who are using them. Pictures of setup on ski's too, especially the Geigerrig.

Geigerrig

KoleGear

Cost pretty reasonable for both and spares seem plentiful (for now).

Setup ideas for Geigerrig, place infront of foot pedals or behind on the bungey's or velcro setup on the hump between legs or slide into a PFD sleeve (possible back/should pain). Might need a longer hose depending on setup location. Comments ?

I like the KoleGear waist pack idea, however the filling, cleaning and connecting hoses looks clunky from the YouTube videos.

Any comments (or other systems), much appreciated.

Matt

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by portmanm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #10083 by [email protected]
I'm also interested in this gear - from the point of view of cleaning the lens of a GoPro camera.

I've been experimenting with a camera mounted on a mast on the aft deck. The problem is that spray gets onto the lens of the camera, leaving salt deposits that slowly but surely obscure more and more of the picture.

A pressurised system that squirts fresh water onto the lens to clear it would be awesome... Anyone used this stuff?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 2 months ago #10085 by Rightarmbad
I used to use a bikestream system on my bike.
I still have a spare bladder somewhere around here, used to hold 2l or so.

Really, there is no gain being pressurised, you can suck through a tube with no problems and it just introduces one more component that can fail.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
7 years 7 months ago #26714 by nd_1975
I just bought a Geigerrig, quick question for anyone who has one. How do you keep the pressure up when in the ski? I have been disconnecting the pressure hose and leaving it at home. Eventually it seems as if more pumping would be better and I can't use the tube to squirt my face, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Neal

More
7 years 7 months ago #26716 by RedBack
Actually RAB, I disagree.

Not having to suck allows you to maintain normal breathing rhythm and I find that when I'm at threshold, that can be the difference between falling off your race pace for a minute or so, or maintaining your performance level.

I've tried both systems and for me (and possibly others too...) a pressurised system is better.

I just insert the bladder into a 2 litre drink bottle and use that as the containment chamber.

My ski (Stellar SES) has a drink bottle holder built into the cockpit, so exploiting this concept is extremely easy.

Without giving too much away, I know that when someone I'm racing (with a conventional "suck it out" bladder) takes a drink, - that's the time to make a move.

Hasn't failed me so far... :-)

Latest Forum Topics