× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Fenn Pedal System update

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #40335 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic Fenn Pedal System update
First, I agree with Fath2o that if you will often adjust, his method is better.

I also agree with him about the bungees for pedal control - I hate "pedal flop" - the bungees keep everything in place. One less thing to think about when you are getting pounded in the rough.

Anyway, before and/or after going thru the cleat, I wrap it once or so on the studs (machine screws) that project out from the pedal (used to attach the cleat) - then it will not slip at all. If you look at the pics I have at the picasaweb link above (done on my think legend), you can see what I mean. I used a different micro-cleat on my spark, because I had them, but I actually like the ones shown on my legend a bit better. (the clamcleats CL214 and CL213)

the white plastic bushing thru the pedal is just some plastic pieces I had laying around; I recommend some kind of plastic or rubber bushing the keep the line from chafing, although I have never had any issues. Just look for some piece of plastic that will fit thru the pedal hole, then drill it slightly larger than the line, the file the inside edges smooth, then glue it into the hole. As I look at your ski pic, I think you could probably just re-use the black ones that are already there?

the gray tape is stair tread non-slip stuff, likely at your hardware store. If you use pan-head machine screws (going thru the pedal front to mount the cleat on the back) the wont project much and/or you can add some this closed cell foam between the pedal and the nonslip tread to even it all out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #40339 by apey75
Replied by apey75 on topic Fenn Pedal System update
@Fath2o, thank you - certainly looking forward to paddling more. Have not taken the XT in the ocean yet but I do plan to as soon as I get a leash for the ski and paddle. So far

I did read that the old XTs had an issue with broaching and my ski has the standard sharkfin rudder. I'll see how I go in our local bay and If I do have issues a DK rudder is on the cards. I did actually start to look into the rudder situation a few days ago but gave up - too many things to read for now. :)

I appreciate the feedback on the bungees and I may as well keep them to stop the pedals from flapping around.

I've gone over the photos of your setup again and I can now see how moving the pedals back and forth would not require rudder line adjustment - quite ingenious. I will have to work out whether I want to drill holes in the ski - that would be my main consideration.

Thanks again.

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #40340 by apey75
Replied by apey75 on topic Fenn Pedal System update
@ Bill L, thanks for more detail on your setup. I think I understand what you've done. I've ordered the ClamCleat hardware (CL213, CL214 and CL260 for the bungees) and found a supplier in Australia for the Think rudder line. Hopefully I'll have it all in 1-2 weeks so that I can get rid of the stainless cabling setup.

Again, really appreciate the photos you have posted - a lot easier to see and understand what's happening that way.

Thanks again!

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #40343 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Fenn Pedal System update
Went paddling yesterday. Due to various health issues, don't get out to often. A short ways into my paddle I felt uncomfortable due to my pedals being set to far forward. Then I remembered I have been wanting to adjust my pedals back a notch. Were talking for 6 months or more, but, I would forget until I was paddling again.
So anyway conditions were mild, so I went into thigh deep water, pulled the pins on my pedal assembly and knocked it back a notch. Took less than a minute and I was back paddling. Just nice to have it be so simple now and not have to monkey with rudder cables.

Latest Forum Topics