Wing paddle question

More
14 years 9 months ago #3470 by wallace50
I'm new to a wing. Why are the blades offset in relation to the shaft? Specifically, the Fenn 1 and 3. I'm used to this with a bent shaft canoe paddle but is it for the same reason? Also, it seems to give the paddle an unbalanced feeling if you let it roll horizontally in your hands. Does that not matter when gripping it for paddling. Tahnks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3471 by SDisle07*
Replied by SDisle07* on topic Re:Wing paddle question
From what I understand is that the blades are offset to "cut" through the wind during the stroke thereby providing less resistance and more efficiency. I set my adjustable two-piece paddle to a 60 degree offset (feather angle) and 209 cm lenghth. Remember when gripping the paddle to have your elbows bent at 90 degree angles (or slightly less). I use white tape to mark my hand position on the paddle shaft so I don't have to think about it.

cheers

More
14 years 9 months ago #3472 by wallace50
Replied by wallace50 on topic Re:Wing paddle question
Thanks, but I mean the blade offset in relation to the shaft, not the amount of feather.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3473 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:Wing paddle question
I think that the offset is just what you suspect - more efficient blade entry into the water.

I've had Fenn 1's in the past that had offsets of between 6 and 9 degrees and a SET Lettman that had a 5 degree offset (the SET was obviously made from the same mold as the Fenn 1). A difference of 1 degree was very noticable, surprisingly. I preferred the Fenns at about 8 or 9 degrees. The SET Lettman was horrible, absolutely unusable. It felt like a tree branch.

More recently, I demo'd a prototype wing that had a normal or conventional shape. I thought that it suffered from too low an offset when I was using it for a few hours (on separate occasions) at a length of 209. Several months later, I tried it at 214 and the offset felt fine. This makes sense because a longer paddle will form a more acute angle with the water if placed next to the ski at the catch. So, shorter paddles will feel best if they've got more offset.

Can you have too much offset? I'm certain the answer is yes, but I don't know what that feels like.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3475 by YBA/Jim Murray
Offset is about maintaining a vertical blade-perpendicular to water surface- at about stroke midpoint- where most power is generated. Analyze the single blade stroke either marathon, OC or flatwater and you see an 'A' form just before the catch. The two sides of the 'A' are formed by the paddle shaft on one side, upper arm and trunk a straight line on the other. The bottom arm is the connector. That is the ideal. After catch the 'A' begins to collapse- trunk straightens, upper arm falls, paddle shaft goes off plumb and the blade becomes vertical just where you want it.
Double blade is a whole lot different.
Possibly some offset is beneficial in a kayak paddle, but I think it will be difficult to make a "one size fits all" because of individual stroke mechanics and position in the boat. I suppose a paddle with optimal offset for an individual would have to be custom made. Everybody has something they like best-or fits best.
Interestingly, the best paddler will win using any old thing.
Thank's to Gene Jenson for the offset blade.

Latest Forum Topics