Have you had a surfski stolen?

• rhainan
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #37465 by rhainan
Have you had a surfski stolen? was created by rhainan
Recently there was a theft of a surski around Ashville, North Carolina (be on the lookout for an Epic V8Pro Elite - White deck - green decals, very unique looking, contact Epic if seen).

This seems to me like a pretty rare event.  I generally take a very cavalier attitude towards guarding my boats. I have a hard time imagining someone managing to make off with a 7 meter surfski and get away with it.  In most parts of the United States, the things are so rare and the community so small, a stolen boat would stick out prominently and be very difficult to sell.

The only times I get a little nervous is travelling overnight with boats on the roof or on the trailer.  There is no really effective way of locking them up securely that could not be defeated quickly by someone with simple tools.  Even if they are determined enough to remove a boat from my trailer in a well lit hotel parking lot, how many criminals are prepared to transport a V10 on the interstate highway? You can't just throw it into the back of a pick up truck.

Or, am I being naïve?  What is it like in your area?  Is surfski theft a problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #37466 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Have you had a surfski stolen?
Wow, that sucks!

Surfskis are such a specific and identifiable boat I cant imagine how a thief would sell one on the down low. The ski community is pretty tight here, or at least I notice anytime I see a ski on a roof. And since its a unique Elite layup boat, that would stick out like a spotlight to anyone in the community. I would think they did not know what they stole, or had a pre-planned buyer. But even if the had a waiting buyer, how do they paddle it and not have the cops called on them? Its such a conspicious boat.

I dont really worry too much about it being stolen except in hotel parking lots when I occasionally travel with it. I just park in a well lit area and have had no problems.

I dont think I've ever heard of a ski stolen before because of the conspicuousness, limited resale options, and transport logistics.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37470 by Epicpaddler
That's crazy. Definitely not something you see every day. I doubt anyone where  paddle would even know what a surfski is. 

I'm heading down that way at the end of the month and will be spending the night in a hotel. I will be swapping out my v8pro for a v10. Now I'm kinda worried about staying in a hotel with my ski in the vbars. 

More
3 years 6 months ago #37471 by Arcturus
Around my region, long flatbed trailers and “toy hauler” trailers and  a whole shtn of other big trailers are ubiquitous. Ranching, hay farming and hauling, large motorized toy hauling, and of course hauling of muliple horses or cattle are part of local life.

It would be really easy for a thief to use one of the long trailers to spirit away a surf ski. It might get damaged since these guys don’t even know what a sea kayak is, but the means of transport are definitely all around.

The good part is that because they are not familiar with surf skis (or their prices), they are not that likely to be interested in stealing one. However, I do not leave any boat unattended for more than a few minutes, and I refuse to anwer any How Much Did That Cost questions. People think more than $300 for a kayak is expensive, so let them think ALL paddleboats are inexpensive!

More
3 years 6 months ago #37472 by waverider
I think more would get stolen if a casual thief actually realised how light they are. The number of tips passers by have asked if I need help lifting it on the roof and then are amazed when I easily just flip it up there.Casual thives steal first and worry about disposal afterwards.  Biggest risjk is outside your home or somewhere you regular park, as it can be planned with a quick transport swap over. Even outside a boat club where someone loading and unloading boats doesnt attract attention. Doesnt help that colour schemes of skis dont vary much. they are not that distinctive

I use a bridle lock arrangement to secure mine. Chain/cable loops snug around hull one in front of forward roof rail and second one around hull behind rear rail, then inter connect two loops with a locking cable under bars. Can't slide boat forward or back out of loops as long as loops are shorter than widest part of boat

More
3 years 6 months ago #37475 by mrcharly
Not had a surfski stolen. Nearly had parts of some V bars nicked - I was offloading from a friend's car, had unclipped the 'v' part and put on the ground of a car park. Ran into clubhouse with a boat, came back to find someone picking up the V.
Obviously had words, they made a muttered excuse and scuttled off. 
Can't think of anything more pointless than taking one part of a set of V bars. 

So, lesson is, people will steal anything. 

The only protection worth having is whatever your insurance company will accept. I learnt that lesson with bicycles. Any lock can be cut. If the insurance company will pay out when you use lock X, use lock X. 

More
3 years 6 months ago #37476 by Arcturus
Take a look at the Lasso Locks. I’ve used it when traveling with a sea kayak. It’s long enough to secure a 17’ SK with extra cable length to spare, so it should be adequate for at least some skis.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #37482 by ccchappell
I've used the Lasso Locks too, work well.  I also have used the MasterLock Python cable locks, which I really like.  I have 3 lengths 6, 12 and 30 ft (for trailer).  They can easily thread through a Debrito or Epic bailer (just be careful) then wrap around roof rack.  Or just tightly wrap around boat like the Lasso...   Also just connecting multiple boats with cable is a deterrent.   No lock is obviously 100% secure, but with the cables at least really slow them down that may draw attention and hopefully deter them.  

Chris
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by ccchappell.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37485 by zachhandler
I have heard of people using these locking racks which apparently play nice with surfskis too:

www.storeyourboard.com/locking-kayak-roo...ty-transport-system/

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Attachments:

More
3 years 2 months ago #38085 by ohrloff
Yes, I unfortunately just had my Epic V7 stolen - but out of winter storage, not from the car roof. I assume someone just looked under the protective cover, saw the Epic logo, googled what this weird long thing is, found that it is expensive, and carried it away somehow to see what to do with it later.

Cable lock was weaved through the handles, but thief removed the handle screws. I think some sort of thin but solid metal rod that can be stuck through the drainage/bailer/venturi hole of the ski and unfolded at the end (like a foldable anchor) with a hole for a padlock on the other side would be the only more effective anti-theft device. Has anyone tried locking their surfski with such a device?

More
3 years 2 months ago #38086 by waverider
Best alternative lock for kayaks without holes are bridle locks. either proprietary or home made. These are two lockable loops of cable or chain, one around nose and one around tail, these are then connected by lockable cable/chain

Latest Forum Topics