1 Year In

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #31168 by PharmGeek
1 Year In was created by PharmGeek
Hello folks...I think about 1 year ago I asked several questions on this page, and was just going to follow up, give an update, and maybe toss in a few items for suggestions/opinions/recommendations.

About 1 year ago, I started getting some interest in trying out surf skis for first and foremost fitness paddling.

I am now rapidly approaching age 35 (in june) and have paddled my v7 for the past almost 1 year...my previosu kayak experience was with a 22 inch wide sea kayak. I live inland, Birmingham, AL area...and paddle a local state park lake about once a week - am busy at this point, wife works, I work full time, two small kids...ill find more time for paddling as things go on im sure, but I find a bit of time and I work out at home 4-5 days per week.

I have done some online coaching reviewing footage of me paddling with a "coach" online which helped me tremendously I think.

My first experience with working on a proper forward stroke was various errors that caused shoulder discomfort...that was rapidly fixed, and then ive worked on various tweaks, drills, and routines and just overall practice to get what I hope will be a solid forward stroke...still tweaking it.

First time in my life Ive had some reason to stay motivated and in shape...its been a game changer for me...it gives me reason to get through what I perceive as "boring" workouts at home (I do like HIIT workouts at home, which double to prep me for hiking I do as well). I do plan to enter my first race this spring, with little expectations, but looking forward to trying...ive never been very competitive, but gives me something to stay motivated about and maybe meet others paddlers...which ive yet to see a surf ski even on a car or at my local state park lake I frequent, lol...

Anyway, I may purchase a second surf ski this summer or fall...my plan is to demo several in months to come...ive fallen out of my v7 all of one time, and it was my poor attempt to ferry across a rapid near class III rapids...which I did not fall out of the v7 going over that rapid in the first place, lol...ive even stand up paddled the v7 using the paddle as a long brace in the water....can hold it there for a bit before falling....my coach thinks now, if I upgrade to a faster boat, ill realize more benefit...im not in a rush though at all...and will be keeping the v7 as my "stable ski" to continue to use, and allow my 7 year old son to eventually use, and hoping my wife will try it this summer and get her into it...also a good boat for many rivers here...

My next boat, I just am not at all sure about...ive asked some folks and get several opinions...read older threads on here from folks analogous to myself...and it seems there are just so many options...

Im 158 lbs, 6'0" at this point...have had no issues with the fit of the v7, although I have nothing to compare it too....ill assume that several other epic buckets ill do fine in with my skinny butt...ive heard their seats are often larger than other brands.

I plan to try several...as I understand, some upgrades ill very likely do fine in from a stability standpoint...v8, S18S, im not familiar with various think boats, but there is a place nearby that deals in them I plan to go demo soon...then more "tippy" and perhaps generally "faster"...SR, SEL, V10, not sure of think equivalents.

Ill just take my time and demo a bunch this spring and summer and by late summer or fall, I hope to snag ski...I have a line already on a couple used skis....an SEL gen 2 in the Multisport layup...ill avoid sketchy rivers or shallow stuff in this 2nd kayak...but I will still likely prefer a relatively "tough" layup being still pretty new - and will require a kickup rudder.

Anyway, I really appreciate the encouragement and advice given last year, and am really enjoying paddling my surf ski....I went back and paddled my sea kayak recently on a camping trip on the Alabama FL border...and wow...I think ive become fixated on paddling the ski...that's all I will say...

I am sure my desire to upgrade is to continue to chase that feeling of "glide" and speed I have grown to really love in kayaking...with the v7, I feel like once I hit 6mph, to get to 7mph is like WOOOORRK for me...some of that is continued technique and relatively meager upper body strength, but im told I likely will see a benefit with the upgrade.

I pretty much at this point can hold 5mph over time on a paddle (totally flat water, a lake, no current)...over 6mph for me gets noticeably more difficult...highest speed ive registered is like 7.5mph (use a garmin watch)...and that was quite momentary...

I suppose what comes up in the threads ive read on this subject is sorta YMMV issue, is going for a faster vs. staying with a balance of stability...

I am leaning toward going for a bit more of a challenge and going "faster" - knowing I will need to adjust...ill still have my v7 if I do any rough water stuff (rare for me inland at this point)...

I suppose my demo attempts in months to come will help me figure things out...

Thanks everyone, hope all are enjoying themselves!

Take Care!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #31171 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic 1 Year In
Good to hear from you. Glad to see the V7 has been working out for you.

I'm not going to make specific ski recommendations but I will say if you're going for a faster ski realize you won't be standing in it. Elite skis take practice but on inland flatwater they are a lot of fun and stable once you get the hang of it. Try to demo as many as possible. The Thinks are very nice so set an appointment with the dealer to try their best.

Keep us updated. Oh, and surfski is one word. Some around here take the two word version as fightin' words. :)

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cryder

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #31172 by PharmGeek
Replied by PharmGeek on topic 1 Year In
I can be a real pedant about this sorta thing.

There needs to be a reference to say how it is spelled in actual variety of usages. I see that “Surfskis” are referenced in places like stellar and epic websites...but cannot find a more “proper” reference like oxford or Merriam Webster.

But I’ll gladly use it as one word - when in Rome and all :)

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #31173 by tve
Replied by tve on topic 1 Year In
Like you I'm also in a beginner ski (nelo 510), am enjoying it a lot, and am starting to look for the upgrade. Very different ocean situation and I love the fact that I'm comfortable taking the 510 into pretty much anything.

The one dimension that I've become aware of while talking to some long-term surfskiers is durability. I've talked to some that sing pretty bad stories about specific brands. E.g. rudder pins embedded in soft foam and working themselves loose (as one would expect) to delamination and such. It's easier to find performance and stability reviews than durability reviews, so it's a topic that I'm a bit puzzled about. So the only thing I can say is that unless you expect to flip the ski in a year you probably want to somehow contemplate that issue...

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #31193 by LakeMan
This one's in Cleveland Tennessee which isn't too far from you. Super nice ski and top of the line layup. Not a bad price either.

www.surfskinews.com/classifieds-blog/201...no-max-ultimate-1500

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #31204 by carlosct
Replied by carlosct on topic 1 Year In
Hello, I tell you my experience in case it can help you.
I live in Cartagena, Spain, I am 39 years old and started paddling with a traditional kayak at the end of February 2017 and I got hooked, so in May I bought a Mazu Fitness that is 48 cm wide.
In August I bought a Mazu Pro, 42 cm wide, and a Think Uno 1st gen.
In November I bought an Elite S and I am very happy with it, it surfs very well and the stability it has allows me to paddle better than in the Uno that I still have.
According to my GPS this year I paddled about 1900 km.
So my advice is that if you have time to use it and develop the technique, do not hesitate to be daring.
Regards.

Currently: Fenn Elite S, Nelo 560 L-2021, Mazu Pro Elite 2.
Previously: Mazu Fitness, Mazu Pro, Think Uno.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by [email protected]. Reason: Corrected "Think One" to "Think Uno"!
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31205 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic 1 Year In

Keep us updated. Oh, and surfski is one word. Some around here take the two word version as fightin' words. :)

Love it!

The reason that I'm so passionate about this is purely from an Internet/Tech/SEO point of view. Google "Surf ski" and you get a bunch of stuff about surfing and skiing; Google "surfski" and there's no doubt at all about what you're interested in!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31209 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic 1 Year In
Going from a v7 to an uno max could be a mistake. Stellar SR (maybe SEI), Epic v10Sport or v8pro, Think evo, Fenn swordfish or XT, and the like are going to make you much more comfortable and happy, especially if starting to race. Even on flat water races, in the beginning of the race, water is turbulent, boats right next to you, chaotic. At a flat water race last month, a fellow was in a v12 and as soon as the race started, he immediately flipped. I'm sure he did not have a much better day after that. It is highly unlikely an uno max will be any faster than evo unless you are experienced, elite paddler.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31212 by LakeMan
When in doubt feet out. The Uno Max is great for flat water. There are other options as you say but in central Alabama your options are a little limited.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31214 by PharmGeek
Replied by PharmGeek on topic 1 Year In
I’m not horribly worried really about getting a good “intermediate” model bs an elite model.

From talking now to several people I rather doubt I will realize a particularly important difference between say a think EVO and UNO max

Mostly I fitness paddle for my own enjoyment and racing interests me - I like the idea of racing and having a Surfski that can be competitive with me in it and clearly some of the intermediate line offerings win races.

But bottom line I think k is that I’m gonna test paddle several - think dealer near me - also epic dealer - I have a line on a nice SEL gen 2 I’ll try out this summer in multi sport layup

Full carbon layup just is too fragile for my comfort level at this point...and I paddle some
Shallow lakes and rivers that make that layup concerning.

Ill be looking at V10sport sport - SEL, SR, v8 pro, think morels - and see what feels good.

I’m always Leary about a demo - besides making sure I have what I think is a good fit - not sure what to expect for a relatively short test paddle

Latest Forum Topics