Sailing surfski with amas?

• fitz
  • Fennix Swordfish S, Epic V10 Sport
More
6 years 6 months ago #29770 by fitz
Has anyone taken a surfski and modified it into a small sailing trimaran like the Triak? After upgrading to a V10 Sport, I have a Stealth Strika that is unused and apparently unsellable here in Panama. So I'm thinking of adding amas and a small mast and sails. Anyone done something similar with a surfski?
The following user(s) said Thank You: william139

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29793 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Sailing surfski with amas?
Not a surfsfski but pretty close : an outrigger canoe, by ARE, a tahitian canoe builder.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29795 by Spacehopper
Amas? You don't need no freaking amas... ;)

ICF compliant too...

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29814 by Uffilation
Fitz, Sounds like a good idea
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Uffilation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29818 by davgdavg
Replied by davgdavg on topic Sailing surfski with amas?
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just buy a purpose built sailing canoe? An OC1 or Hawaiian sailing canoe is going to be a lot faster than a surfski with an ama anyhow.

Edit- After thinking about it, and after Uffiliation's peach of a post, I still think buying could be a better option. Like a lot of projects, the likelihood that you will spend more money (not to mention time and effort) than simply buying a better and purpose built craft is pretty high. And then you also might end up with a non-sea worthy or dangerous craft. Just my .02 though.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by davgdavg. Reason: Second thoughts

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29820 by Uffilation
davgdavg,
yes your are missing something like most uncreative "consumer only" folks, eg the intend of the 1rst post:

"After upgrading to a V10 Sport, I have a Stealth Strika that is unused and apparently unsellable here in Panama. So I'm thinking of adding amas and a small mast and sails. Anyone done something similar with a surfski?"

You are questioning the basic idea of DIY giving something a 2nd life/use by argueing that one could also buy it.

Reading the 1rst post, why should one not play around with an otherwise unused SS and try stuff for the fun of it instead of buying additional new gear form Hawaii and have it send to Panama? I guess speed compared to excisting products is not the issue here ...

so one could either work on reading the opening post at all and text comprehension and grow some mirror neurons or post that question "Why don't you buy it?" under every project on
www.instructables.com
or
WWW.doityourself.com
or
smalltrimarans.com/blog/
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Uffilation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29821 by Uffilation
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Uffilation. Reason: Double post

More
6 years 6 months ago #29822 by Hiro
Tahitian va'a (outrigger canoe) with 2 ama and a sail :

More
6 years 6 months ago #29824 by Hiro

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29825 by davgdavg
Replied by davgdavg on topic Sailing surfski with amas?

Uffilation wrote: davgdavg,
like most uncreative "consumer only" folks, eg the intend of the 1rst post:

so one could either work on reading the opening post at all and text comprehension and grow some mirror neurons /

1) Yes, I misread the post. Big. Fing. Deal. I didn't insult you in any way, nor anyone else, nor was it even your post.

2) Take a deep breath and get the sand out of your vagina.

3) Its so easy to insult over the internet. I would loooovvve to meet you in person and see how big your mouth is then...

I never could imagine that there were people so sensitive in the surfski world. Grow up and stop being a little baby because someone posts something that you don't personally like. You only come off like an exceptionally arrogant an pretentious person.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by davgdavg. Reason: Im a nice person

Latest Forum Topics