Complete novice looking for info

More
9 years 6 months ago #23065 by MarcGI
Hi Folks,

I am a complete novice in Milnerton, Cape Town looking for info on where and how to get started.

I have gone through the forums, but I couldn't find any threads outlining how to get started, where/how to learn, buy kit and equipment etc. I might have missed it, but there aren't "sticky" popular/common threads like you find on other forums.

Any and all help or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #23067 by [email protected]
Hi Marc,

The best way to get started is to spend as little money as possible before you're certain that the sport is for you!

And one way of doing that is to join a surfski school for a few sessions - not only will they show you the basics, lending you all the equipment that you need, but you'll also get plenty of advice and get to try various beginner skis.

Dawid Mocke's surfski school is a great choice - they run out of Fish Hoek, which is a bit of a drive for you, but hopefully achievable for a couple of Saturday mornings.

Click here for the surfski school website.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarcGI

More
9 years 6 months ago #23068 by MarcGI
Hi Robin,

Thanks. I have emailed them.

Out of interest, are there any inland (Calm) area's on the Milnerton side (Or further out.) of the world where novices can train/practise? Rietvlei? Is it allowed? The river at Woodbridge Island? I know the canoer's paddle there. ie: Somewhere a novice could paddle when the sea is angry?

Then, once I am confident enough, where are the spots on the this side that guys launch from where the surf isn't too big and unfriendly? (I'd like to take a drive past these spots and see if I can chat to a few people.)

Thanks again.

More
9 years 6 months ago #23069 by [email protected]
Join this group on Facebook:

Downwind Dash

And give Richard Kohler a shout - he runs the Downwind Dash and is totally plugged in to everything paddling that happens on that side (I live in Noordhoek!).

Richard is at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

A good place to get info (and perhaps used gear) is Brian's Kayaks

Brian's Kayaks

All the best
Rob

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 6 months ago #23070 by MarcGI
Thanks Rob,

Appreciate the info. I have emailed Richard.

Marc

More
9 years 6 months ago #23086 by mjs
Hi Marc,

I picked up a 2nd hand ski a few months ago and started out in the lagoon as I also live in the same area.

The lagoon is fairly shallow in places so the best time to go there is when the tide is high. Between the bridge and just past the pump house is the shallowest section. You can clearly see the deeper 'channel' when the tide is low. Once you get past this part then it is fairly deep again.

You are also allowed to paddle at Rietvlei, you will have to pay at the gate. Here you are only allowed to paddle about 10m or so from the shore to keep away from the motorized craft, unfortunately it is fairly weed infested. I paddle a bit further out to keep out of the weed.

Your other option further up the coast is Langebaan Lagoon, around the Kraal Baai area. Been there a few times lately. The water is shallow and calm for the most part, but it does pick up a bit of chop in the deeper sections when the SE is blowing. Probably the best place of the three.

My first time out I thought I had made a big mistake and would never be stable, but after 10 minutes or so I was fairly comfortable. The second time I decided to paddle out of the river mouth past the surf line. Didn't get far and took a swim. Second attempt I got out past the backline. Paddling on the flat and paddling in bumps are totally different, so sticking inland for a while is the way to go.

Mark

More
9 years 6 months ago #23087 by MarcGI
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info.

Good to know I am not alone.

Where do you launch at the lagoon and how far can you paddle either way of the bridge? (In high tide conditions?)

Which do you recommend first, the lagoon or Rietvlei?

Thanks,
Marc

More
9 years 6 months ago #23088 by mjs
I launch at the mouth entrance to the sea and paddle as far as the bridge just after the Paddocks before I turn around and head back.

It's about 8.5km in total

The lagoon is calmer, Rietvlei can get busy with all the wakes from the ski-boats, but you will have to get used to bumps at some stage.

Mark

More
9 years 6 months ago #23089 by MarcGI
Hi Mark,

Thanks.

Stupid question, but where is the closest parking to the mouth?

So anyone can paddle in the lagoon at any time? ie: No permits required, fees etc.

And last question, is the lagoon completely unpaddleable (There's new word.) in low tide?

Thanks again.

More
9 years 6 months ago #23090 by mjs
Marc,

Closest parking to the mouth is at Wang Thai.

No permits needed or any restrictions.

The middle section is next to impassable at low tide. The section between the mouth and the wooden bridge should be ok to practice, but that is quite a short distance.

I was looking for a PM button, either my eye sight is failing me or the software does not allow them.

Regards,

Mark

More
9 years 6 months ago #23091 by [email protected]

I was looking for a PM button, either my eye sight is failing me or the software does not allow them.

Hi Mark,

Yeah, currently we don't have private messaging enabled in the forum. We're about to upgrade the whole site system so I'll check what it would cost to implement it.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

More
9 years 6 months ago #23093 by MarcGI
Hi Mark,

So it isn't your eyes.

Feel free to email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. (Don't ask.) :)

I took a drive down to Wang Thai earlier. Looks like the perfect spot to learn.

Marc

More
9 years 6 months ago #23094 by JessBarker
Hi Marc

I'm also brand new to the paddling world and am also looking to up my confidence on flat water before heading out to play in the waves.

Thanks for doing the ground work here, guess I'll be seeing you at the Milnerton mouth!

Also super keen to chat to Richard about Century City membership and boat storage 'cause then the canals are also an option.

I've also been strongly recommended to do the course with the Mockes at Fish Hoek so it looks like we've both been put on the right path!

If you do evening paddles or weekends and want a buddy for flat water let me know, I'd be super stoked to have someone to paddle with at this stage!

Cheers
Jess

More
9 years 6 months ago #23097 by mjs
Marc, Jess

Looks like all of us are in the same boat. I have also been looking for a reliable paddling partner.

My friend and I both had intentions of buying a ski and paddling, unfortunately he has been less than reliable so I end up paddling by myself which I don't want to do heading out into open water.

Mark

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #23098 by MarcGI
Hi Guys,

Yup, looks that way.

I want to get together with Richard and see what I need to get to get started.

Once that's sorted, I am keen to get going.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by MarcGI. Reason: Typing like I was drunk.

Latest Forum Topics