Very new to the sport

More
10 years 3 months ago #20251 by Andries
I am very interested in the sport, and will start learning the basics in a day or two.
I do not own a ski.
I know everybody asks, but what would be a good starter ski ?
I am 1.8m tall and i weigh around 100kg.
I am not planing to be competitive and would like to buy something I could use for a while???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #20257 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic Very new to the sport
I would suggest you get an epic v8 or fenn bluefin depending on which is the most comfortable. To determine the most comfortable go to one of the retailers and demo one for at least 30 minutes. That should let you know if you will be comfortable or otherwise.

Don't feel you should get a more tippy boat on the basis you will be able to keep it longer. Get one of the very stable boats listed above, learn to paddle correctly, develop a strong paddle stroke, and become comfortable in all types of conditions including exciting offshore downwind.

This should keep you busy for at least a year, then look to upgrade. The v8 and bluefin boats are very easy to sell.

If you go straight to a tippier boat you will miss all this important learning and never progress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fuyang Guy

More
10 years 3 months ago #20258 by Fuyang Guy
Replied by Fuyang Guy on topic Very new to the sport
Great Advise from Love2ski.
Far to many people rush to 'faster' boats, only to end up going slower and having less fun

More
10 years 3 months ago #20262 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Very new to the sport
Yep, I think most of us have been there :laugh: I just kept my fast tippy ski but went back to a more stable enjoyable ski which I paddle most of the time.

More
10 years 3 months ago #20263 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic Very new to the sport
Think Eze or Vajda Hawx 52 or Stellar SR or Fenn XT should be on your hitlist too.

When you're ready to step up in 6-12 months, keep your existing ski for big fun conditions and buy a 2nd boat to start to stretch yourself.

Paddle 4-5 times per week, you'll lose 10kg within 6 months without trying & not changing your diet.

Get a good paddle too, try as many as you can and don't go to bigger blade.

Have fun.

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
10 years 3 months ago #20298 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Very new to the sport
Big Eze or Eze from Think Kayak should be on your list. At your body weight, the Big Eze may feel a little better.

Enjoy the search for a new craft, and welcome to surfski paddling!

Latest Forum Topics