Seat Padding

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #15917 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic They are watching us :)
Never let it be said that manufacturers aren't watching what is said here :)

I just got an offer from Hein at Carbonology to make up a seat for the Flash using the existing Flash bucket shape.

The idea being that I can pad up then place the seat on the padding, sort of like a K1 seat I guess.

It will be a while before it arrives with the next shipment of skis but I will report on how well it works when it arrives.

Could be a game changer if it works well?

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #15918 by cjborg
Replied by cjborg on topic Re: Seat Padding
Many thanks for this information, P'Faster. I will give it a try!
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by cjborg.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #15924 by Savage
Replied by Savage on topic Re: Seat Padding
Thanks for all the replies and feedback,

Prior to my first post I'd been testing padding in various areas of the bucket to get the right fit and I've just about got that correct.

I was initally thinking of using thin vinyl over the padding for extra slip,or using PaddleFasters recommendation of using Ripstop Nylon.

Before I cover the padding has anyone got any other suggestions on a cover that would give you plenty of slip.

Good on Carbonology, all the boat builders should supply factory padding as an option for their boats,

To make your own padding it takes time to source the materials and a lot of dicking around to get it right, and after it's made and covered it will look always like a dog's breakfast.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #15929 by Swimmer
Replied by Swimmer on topic Re: Seat Padding
Not sure where you are from, but here in Adelaide Sth Australia, we have stores called Clark's Rubber. It's like a rubber/plastic hardware store and they have endless types of plastic sheeting/material that you could probably use to cover the seat with. I think they are in the other states as well. Other than that try a sailmaker! They would probably have something you could use to make up a cover.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #15930 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Re: Seat Padding
Savage,

Not sure why you and others are going for glued/attached padding when putting a bum pad or hip pads inside your shorts is much easier.

My first ski was an early V10S designed by Oscar when he weighed 110kg, and I weighed 65kg. My twin brother could have sat next to me! Epic supplied hip pads which both got in the way during remounts, and then detached themselves a little with every use until they finally gave up and fell off. I replaced with 2inch wide foam pads down each side of my shorts extending from hips to upper thighs so I could touch the sides of the seat well.

I now wear Zhik Deckbeater padded sailing shorts for my backside, (although a piece of padded foam in the speedos would be just as good), and slip a piece of foam inside speedos down my lower back so the drawstring doesn't rub at the back of the seat well.

May I suggest you try this before you attach stuff to the ski - it's cheap and simple, doesn't disfigure the boat, and allows you to swap between skis if you want to.

Cheers and good luck.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16631 by cjborg
LaPerouser:

I agree with you that if just a little padding for comfort is all that is needed, padded shorts are definitely the best, IMHO. I've gone as far as 3/8 inch padding in the shorts without them being too bulky. . I got padded shorts from Sailing Angles in Florida, USA . . . posted a link earlier in this thread.

I've never thought of putting 2 inches of padding into a short, though. Interesting idea. I need about 5 inches of padding in the back of a Fenn XT double . . . not sure how I'd get that much padding into a pair of shorts.

For what it's worth, PaddleFaster's suggestion of gluing nylon over closed cell minifoam WORKED GREAT for me... made the pads slippery and much nicer. Nylon also comes in colors, so you can hide the ugly gray and maybe even match the color of your ski.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by cjborg.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16702 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Re: Seat Padding
Glad you found the info of use CJ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjborg

More
10 years 11 months ago #16703 by cjborg
Best boat modification I've ever made... had I known about it a few years ago, I'd have a dozen fewer scars from shorts grabbing the padding and rubbing my lumbar skin raw.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16709 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Re: Seat Padding
Hi cj and others,

For really thick hip pads, I cut up a Speedo Pull Buoy ( the foam floatie thing shaped like a bone, that you put between your knees when swimming if you want to just strengthen upper body without kicking).

Apart from being fairly easy to shape, the buoyancy is an added benefit - if you need to remount ;)

• Ole
  • Visitor
10 years 4 weeks ago #20141 by Ole
Replied by Ole on topic Re: Seat Padding
Hi LaPerouser,
I am currently looking into hip pads and find this solution quite interesting. Would you have a picture of the cut Speedo Pull Buoy? I have one at home which I haven't used for years....
Many thanks!!

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #20142 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Seat Padding
Based on a suggestion from a kayak building forum I participate in, I have purchased a Backjoy to use in my timber surfski. I have used it in my Stellar on flatwater and it seemed ok. Would have to do a lot more paddling with it before I give it the thumbs up though.

www.backjoy.com/backjoy/cms/sit/sit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #20148 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Seat Padding
Hi, what is the material for this back joy thing? Looks interesting and might be an easy fix for some, if it is not too soft/sticky (e.g., there is a "memory foam" version!)

Also were you able to figure out what is the difference between the + and the relief versions?

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #20151 by Boof Head
It is made from a hard rubber ( apologies for lack of technical description). It is quiet solid.
I couldn't work out the difference between the + and the relief. I couldn't find any difference on the website and I purchased mine online so no opportunity to compare in store.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #20153 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Seat Padding
So you got the "+" model? Do you have it velcroed in place?

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #20161 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Seat Padding
Ole

Sorry, I haven't used the hip pads for a couple of years now, and couldn't find them.
(I switched to the narrower bucket Swordfish, so I don't need hip pads ant more!)

My Speedo pull buoy was made of about 5 pieces of foam stuck together, alternating blue and white so it looked like striped candy. I laid it flat and used a sharp bread knife to cut off 2" thick 'slices' shaped like a dog's bone when laid flat.

To wear, I pushed the thinner 'knuckle' of the bone down along the outer thigh, with the broader 'knuckle up near my hip, giving me plenty of contact with the sides of the bucket. I hope this is clear!?

You do need stretchy shorts though! :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ole

• Ole
  • Visitor
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #20166 by Ole
Replied by Ole on topic Seat Padding
Thanks!!

The Uno Max gives you that "snug" feeling which I am trying to also get in the Evo II. I am 6'3" so not really a reason to use pads. Maybe I just have to accept that most skies have wider seats (to accommodate a huge variety of paddlers)and have to get used to it.
The "snug" feeling just gives me the impression that I have better control of the ski.
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by Ole. Reason: added text

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #20168 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Seat Padding
Ole

I reckon that snug fit is well worth having, and it does give you more control, especially if you want to 'edge' the ski in a turn or on a wave.

It's one of the reasons I switched to the Swordfish - it's a nice fit for my 32" waist and narrow hips. As chance would have it, my previous ski was an Evo, and its definitely suitable for big-hipped paddlers! I felt as though I was sliding all over the place whenever I forgot the pads.

So why not cut up the pull buoy and give it a try, its not as though you're using it for swimming(?).

And then report back on whether it helps...

• Ole
  • Visitor
10 years 3 weeks ago #20171 by Ole
Replied by Ole on topic Seat Padding
LaPerouser,

yes, you are right.

The buoy is up north at the moment but I should drive up in the coming days. Will cut, try and feedback soon!
Maybe I should also test paddle a few other skies...

Thanks, Ole

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #20186 by Boof Head
I got the +. I went for a paddle on Sunday with the backjoy and didn't like it much but it wasn't velcroed in so jury is still out.
I have some holidays soon and I want to try if out in a timber surfski that I have built. The bucket area of my ski is boxy and think it will work reasonably well.

More
10 years 1 week ago #20377 by ergometer
Replied by ergometer on topic Seat Padding
padding is the most interesting thing to watch or carry out while you are doing it single.

Latest Forum Topics