Video camera mounting positions??

More
11 years 1 month ago #15471 by GlenRusky
Hi all,

Following from one of my previous posts, I have recently picked up a Contour Roam2 camera + mount. Ease of use and price was too good to ignore. I am tossing up where to place it in front of my seating position. It only comes with the one 3M adhesive for the mount so I don’t want to waste it!

Can users of cameras please share where they place them (front and rear) with photos if possible?
How far along the front of the boat do they place them and what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this?
Tethering to the boat is also important so what do people do here particularly as you push it further away from the cockpit?
I know it will vary depending on the video format frame rates used as well so any insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Glen

Current Ski: Nelo 550 ML (4 WWR)
Previous Skis: Fenn Spark - carbon, Vajda Hawx elite, Fenn Swordfish - carbon, Fenn Elite - carbon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15473 by Stew
Hi Glen,

I use Contour cameras too, great little gadgets. Not sure what ski you paddle, but on the Think boats, I use a handle bar mount from Contour and attach it to the safety handle at either end of the ski. The camera can then be easily rotated, for front and back angles, and swapped from front to back of the ski with a small screwdriver in seconds. You can also easily adjust the tilt to get a profile of the paddler.

I did have a mount which I had to tape each time, and that was a serious pain in the back side. I've only used the mount you're talking about once, for the side angle in this video.

The small mount you are playing with is pretty restrictive, and there isn't much room for adjustment after it's fitted. Also not sure if you will get a good paddler profile as it will be very low to the deck. The additional mounts are quite cheap and might be worth looking at.

Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GlenRusky

More
11 years 1 month ago #15475 by [email protected]
I use GoPros and they come with a variety of mounting options.

I often mount on deck pointing backwards at an angle so that the paddler is to one side of the shot and you can play with other paddlers coming behind or alongside.

The deck mount is a sucker mount - and I always reinforce it with some duct tape.

Other advantages of this mounting: you get a sensation of speed because the camera is close to the water; the lens is frequently cleared by waves washing over.

I also frequently use a helmet mount, which gives a nice point of view. But you have to remember to stop occasionally to wash the lens which tends to accumulate spray droplets.

I've been experimenting with a camera mast, positioned behind the paddler. It gives a great point of view, but presents a challenge for keeping the lens clean. We're building a system to irrigate the camera, driven from a pump in the cockpit... If we get it right I'll post the details.

But the main thing is to try to come up with innovative points of view - it's gets very boring seeing the same old "paddler in the centre of the frame" shots (IMO)!

Have fun!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 1 month ago #15532 by Punches
I've got a Contour with a Kayalu suction mount and mast. In this video it's aft of the rudder and you can see the tether to the bungee cords. You're probably going to want to play with different angles so plan on getting more mounts or one that you can move around. I also use the handlebar mount on an old bike helmet.

Currently own Fenn Elite S, Renegade Double
Previously owned Epic V8, Think Legend, Stellar SES

More
11 years 1 month ago #15533 by [email protected]

I've got a Contour with a Kayalu suction mount and mast

Is it just me or does the camera seem to be bouncing like crazy?

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15534 by Punches
Yeah Rob, I think it vibrates a little. Not sure if it's the mount, the hull flexing or the mast not tightened up enough (or all three!). It may be picking up a lot of vibration being so close to the rudder. You can push the camera from side to side a little with your finger so I imagine any hull vibration or knocks reverberates up the mast, especially its various joints. Hadn't worried about it, until now. Thanks :(

Cheers,

Peter

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Punches.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15535 by [email protected]
Here's a video that I put together recently that was intended to test a 1m mast which I located about 1m in front of the rudder. I think it gives a great viewpoint.

The challenge with this mount is how to keep the lens of the GoPro clean - we stopped every 15min or so for my buddy to splash and clean it. We're building system to squirt water through a pipe connected to a bladder in the cockpit.

Rob

More
11 years 1 month ago #15537 by coldwater
Rob - what boats are you and the other single ski paddling...?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15539 by [email protected]

coldwater wrote: Rob - what boats are you and the other single ski paddling...?

I'm on a 13kg Vacuum glass epoxy Swordfish.
My buddy Dale is on a 17kg glass Knysna Kayaks Genius Blu.

Rob

More
11 years 1 month ago #15545 by Punches
Rob - how's the mast attached? The perspective from that height gives a better impression of the size of the sea. It looks great.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15547 by Physio
may need its own post,
but what software are people using for video editing, i'm looking for something reaaaaaly simple, just to cut up longer clips into manageable posting sizes etc.

A

More
11 years 1 month ago #15553 by sAsLEX

Physio wrote: may need its own post,
but what software are people using for video editing, i'm looking for something reaaaaaly simple, just to cut up longer clips into manageable posting sizes etc.

A

Windows Movie maker can do that comes with most Windows's

More
11 years 1 month ago #15557 by [email protected]

Punches wrote: Rob - how's the mast attached? The perspective from that height gives a better impression of the size of the sea. It looks great.

The mast was built out of a discarded carbon windsurfer mast, bonded onto a wide baseplate that was moulded off the deck of my Mako Elite. Fortunately it fits the deck of my Swordfish too!

The way I attach it is twofold - I used self-adhesive velcro, but I also duct tape the baseplate to the deck as well. Finally I have a safety line that goes from the mast along the side of the deck (taped with small bits of duct tape) forward to the footstrap.

Rob

More
11 years 1 month ago #15558 by [email protected]

what software are people using for video editing,

Coming from a GoPro and Mac perspective, I use the (free) GoPro Cineform Studio software to view and cut segments out of the raw video files, then I use iMovie to put the stuff together.

Alternatively, you can use QuickTime.

But editing is a huge pain whichever way you do it!

Rob

More
11 years 1 month ago #15564 by PaddleFaster
I have to say that the perspective in this video helped me find what I think may be a major flaw in my technique...

It seems that you go a lot further and faster, if you actually stay in the ski.

Any problems with the taller mounts during the unexpected airborne-occupant events that may sometimes occur?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15606 by Physio
thanks saslex, windows movie maker seems pretty easy, so far.

a cpl of snapshots pulled off a clip, the vid was otherwise too boring to post.

Has anyone else has problems runing the ciniform software from gopro, I can intal it but when I try to run it.. nothing...
Attachments:

More
11 years 1 month ago #15607 by sAsLEX

Physio wrote:

Are you paddling a submarine?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15611 by Physio

sAsLEX wrote:
Are you paddling a submarine?

maybe less doughnuts needed, or a higher volume boat?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15615 by Kneewall49
Rob,

That high perspective gives a much better viewing angle.

Makes the sea look more like it probably or actually is compared to the deck mount, that seems to turn cyclonic conditions into lakes.

Also captures companion padders much better. Well done. Now just to find an old broken sailboard mast.

I guess there is no swaying effect from having that sort of (although light) weight up so high, or I guess you would have mentioned it?

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15619 by [email protected]

I guess there is no swaying effect from having that sort of (although light) weight up so high, or I guess you would have mentioned it?

The first time I used the mast, it was on my Fenn Mako Elite, and I did feel a little more tippy. But no, on the Swordfish, I can't say that I feel much difference. That's actually why I got the SF in the first place - to be a stable camera platform.

What it did seem to do though, was affect the trim of the boat, which I expected, but in a good way - which I didn't expect. It seemed to me that it was even easier to catch runs...

It's something I've wanted to experiment with actually - putting a small (500gm or less) weight on the nose or tail to move the centre of gravity to see whether it makes it easier to catch runs.

Rob

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by [email protected].

Latest Forum Topics