New vajda ski

More
11 years 11 months ago #11420 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re: New vajda ski

Rightarmbad wrote: Interesting.
After some extended testing, I found the Nelo XXL to be be simply the fastest ski I have ever sat in.
High seat, virtually no secondary stability, but speed is unmatched by anything I have sat in.
I use my paddle a full 7cm longer in it than the V10.

How does the Hawk's balance of the primary and secondary compare to say a V12?
Or to it's sister boat the Orca?

The Nelo is wider than my V10, but oh so much less secondary. (or maybe it comes in so late that it scares me to try and find it, it never tipped me out, but I continually thought it would in sideways chop)
It's not bad on the primary though.

RAB,
Great to hear you finally paddled the Nelo... It is a hoot. Your description is exactly that of my own with my Vintage Ski. At first I thought 'there's no way...' but it only took a short time (a week or so) to adjust and really enjoy the ski. It is just so different from anything else out there. If you are willing to put in the time and not give up, it is worth it. A little more secondary stability would be nice, but it is so smooth on primary (not twitchy), glides so well, and the paddling position is so sweet that was willing to live without it. I find it to be a very organic feeling and looking ski, if that makes any sense.
You are right though, it begs to be in a 2 ski garage. At one point I had it and a V10 Sport and would stick them both on the car and decide which one to paddle based on conditions.
The Hawx is great on primary and secondary and goes great in the ocean. Vajda is going to update the design some though, so I don't think what we're paddling will be the final design. It is a great starting point though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11429 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: New vajda ski
I think the positive side to the 'distinctly different to most ski's secondary', is that the wobbles are primarily user generated, not reactive to the water.

Smaller waves and chop are more disturbing visually than they really are, they seem to simply pass under the boat and if you can control your preconceptions of how the ski is going to react, you find that it doesn't really feel the small stuff at all.

So if you can confidently just keep on powering on, the ski responds by doing exactly as you ask.
Ask the right things and it delivers.

Positioning ergonomics are second to none.
You WILL feel more powerful in this ski.

If you are a K1 crossover paddler, I don't think there would be a better choice.

What I find amazing is that the hull is very similar in it's cross-section and rocker to my V10, but the only thing that feels the same is the relatively high primary to secondary ratio that they both possess.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 10 months ago #11689 by olastrom
Replied by olastrom on topic Re: New vajda ski
Did you get any info about the seat widt?

More
11 years 10 months ago #11701 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: New vajda ski
If you mean the Nelo, I still have it in my racks, I can measure it for you if you like.
It does seem as though you can sit in multiple positions in the seat with the further back you go the wider it is, but it is on the tight side overall, certainly tighter than a V10.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 10 months ago #11720 by olastrom
Replied by olastrom on topic Re: New vajda ski
No, I was thinking of the new Vajda...
The Nelo I know is too narrow for me.
Today I ride a V10 that I find narrow but still ok

More
11 years 7 months ago #12844 by Tj
Replied by Tj on topic Re: New vajda ski
I have read alot about the Vajda Hawx and have put myself in a bit of a position. I am in Australia, does anyone have any idea about a release date for this new model? I am ready to upgrade my V12 Performance and I think this new one is worth waiting for.
Particularly interested in the cut out seat back as i do tend to rub on my lower back late in paddles when the posture goes a touch.
How is the turning of the Hawx in flat water? I see the dimensions are pretty much that of my v12 but I would say the biggest downer on the epic is that it has a turning cirlce that would mirror most cruise liners.
Also is there any images on on the Elite pro layup? I think I probably have a bit of time to save up and lash out.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
T

More
11 years 7 months ago #12846 by mckengmsurfski
In regards to the width of the Vajda Hawx bucket: Measuring at the top edge of the bucket (deck height) at its widest point is 38.5cm.

TJ, I have not been able to get an answer for you yet in regards to availability in your part of the world but I will let you know when I have one.
Turning radius on the Hawx seems very similar to other skis in its class. It might turn a bit tighter than some others (thanks in part to increased range of motion of the unique tiller), but then I've never really had an issue with that in any ski other than a Red7 I had at one point. Not sure when we'll get images of the Elite Pro construction but I'll send them to you when I have them.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12848 by jean pierre
Replied by jean pierre on topic Re: New vajda ski

2 photos of my Hawx elite pro received las week

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by jean pierre.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12849 by jean pierre
Replied by jean pierre on topic Re: New vajda ski
2 photos of my Hawx elite pre received las week
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by [email protected].

More
11 years 7 months ago #12850 by [email protected]
Hi Jean Pierre,

I received your report about the blank messages, I have the developers looking at it. Please don't delete them.

Thanks
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 7 months ago #12851 by [email protected]
OK, there seems to be a problem with embedding the photos. So if you just attach them, all is well, if you try to embed them, the post goes blank. Clearly a bug with the forum software.

I'll see if there's a fix. In the meantime, feel free to attach images, but best not to embed them.

Thanks
rob

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 7 months ago #12870 by [email protected]
haha - embedded links and pics now working... (upgraded the forum software).

Rob

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12874 by mckengmsurfski
Here's a link to some detail photos of the Vajda Hawx on my Facebook page.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.476006...&type=1&l=3782a9e4e7
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by mckengmsurfski.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12875 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: New vajda ski
Hmmm linky not worky. :(

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12876 by mckengmsurfski
I just tried it and it seemed to work fine. Let me know if you still can't get it to work.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by mckengmsurfski.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12877 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: New vajda ski
Yes working now but tried 3 times and the link seems to have changed? One line as opposed to two lines before, one of those mystery's. B)

More
11 years 7 months ago #12878 by mckengmsurfski
No mystery, just a lack of computer savvy on my part.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12881 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic Re: New vajda ski
How do you pronounce the name of this boat?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12882 by [email protected]
Vajda is pronounced Vider, rhyming with spider.

Hawx? Presumably pronounced "hawks".

Anyone?

Rob

More
11 years 7 months ago #12885 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re: New vajda ski
yes,hawx=hawks.

Vajda first syllable as in spider, second say 'ah' as saw. VIdah

J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1xsculler

Latest Forum Topics