Re: 68.8km/h on a Double Ski

More
12 years 1 month ago #10658 by Chasp
Replied by Chasp on topic Re: 68.8km/h on a Double Ski
What double ski was Barry and Mark paddling ? An Apex ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10672 by Robmobius
Apex 2 with a nose cone

More
12 years 1 month ago #10675 by tutukakapaddler
on the roof of his car maybe

More
12 years 1 month ago #10677 by Kayaker Greg
Us Kiwi's are such sceptics B)

More
12 years 1 month ago #10682 by Kiwibruce
RAB , we're all waiting?Show us the file!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #10826 by Michael Smedley
I paddle out of Currumbin Gold Coast almost daily. I would be very interested to see the Garmin file of a 49kph run round these here parts...
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by Michael Smedley.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10831 by Rightarmbad
41kph actually.
I don't use Garmin online, I use the much more accurate and versatile software on my computer.

Try going out in the afternoon when the wind picks up, instead of the morning, and then go out on the days that everybody else stays home as well.

I have a video of coming in at Palmy at 29kmh.
The alley looked too dangerous.

All I did was fluke a wind wave assistance to catch the big fast ones that normally roll under me.

Where they kick up half way between Pt Danger and Currumbin.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #10838 by Michael Smedley
Between Snapper and Currumbin are the most sheltered on the Gold Coast.

Kingsscliff to Cook Island is where it gets real big, very open deep water there. Some of the lads I paddle with have done some runs in very big conditions. Some of the speeds reported got up to 22-28kmh by the better paddlers.

41kmh is a big call. It could be an error on the watch. Its not un common.
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by Michael Smedley.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10855 by Rightarmbad
Three times in a row?

The waves went steep that day and when I picked it up proper, I honestly thought it was going to toss me frontwards out of the bucket because of the steepness, it was like looking out over a cliff when on the top.
It's where the wave seems to hit a shallower bit and stand up a little higher and steeper.

The big ground swell was more easterly so open to the full ocean, and the wind waves from the SE, so on a direct line from Pt Danger to Currumbin.
No way would I have picked it up without the wind assistance, I had an average speed of 15.6km/h up until the point where I stopped and looked around to find my partner.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10856 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re: 68.8km/h on a Double Ski
Just a quick time line here:

2 weeks ago this post unfolds. RAB posts a top speed of 49kph (and 28 and 39), one which I accepted as true on face value.

1 week 4 days ago Stew calls for RAB's link. For the following 1 week and 3 days RAB hits radio silence on this thread (even foregoing KiwiBruce's taunt).

1 day ago RAB posts in a response that it was '41kph actually' (thats 8kph slower) as if to correct someone else's statement. No apology or explanation offered along the like of 'it was a typo', or 'I was wrong'. And software too advanced to send a link(?) Then do an (authentic) screenshot and publish that.

RAB, you've had the benefit of the doubt over a week to back up your claim.

What gives?

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10860 by Rightarmbad
Not only did I go silent on this thread, but on all threads, as well as some other message boards.
I was merely reading on my iphone whilst I sorted out computer issues.
49 was a mistake on my part; when I checked the file it was 41.

I will not post a garmin file on here, as they have no security.
Once one file is posted, anybody can tab back and forth through your files.
I, for example have gone back through the last three years of Oscars participation in Hawaii to gain an insight of his pacing for that length event.
All allowed because he posted a course map here somewhere in an article.

I don't wish anybody access to my files as it allows them to build a profile on my comings and goings.
Lets see, always paddles at 6am on Mondays for two hours, that should give us time to do our dastardly deed.

So no, I will never post a garmin file on here.

Having seen first hand what can be done with personal info and recently having to cancel my credit card due to somebody in new york renting a motel suite with it, I will post no more than I want to.
Simple as that.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10864 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: 68.8km/h on a Double Ski
Nor should you have to. I don't agree with half of what RAB says, but if he says he did 41kmh, so what. Leave it at that. RAB...sometimes right, sometimes wrong, sometimes full of it, but always gives me something to talk about with my mates in the morning. Still waiting on the new boat though!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10865 by STEWART
Right on Dicko! anyone who follows any threads on this forum has surely been challenged by RAB's ongoing thinking! Im sure even our cult leader Mr. Mousely has learnt a thing or two from RAB's rants or raves (whichever mood he might be holding onto after a paddle).

Good work RAB, even if i dont always agree its good to think a little, Thanks!

As for data capturing on gps, guys we all need to be paddling with at least two on us at all times! That should solve it.. B)

Paddle Hard!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10866 by [email protected]

Im sure even our cult leader Mr. Mousely has learnt a thing or two from RAB's rants or raves

Too right - and anyone who contributes so much on the forum (791 times at the last count) is ok in my book!

But if you DID want to post your gps track without opening up your account, RAB, you could take a screenshot of the speed/HR trace and just post that :-)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10867 by Michael Smedley
lol, love it...

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10879 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: 68.8km/h on a Double Ski
How about a screen shot, RAB? We'd all love to see this file. I'll never experience speed like that, would be great to see how it's done, the set of runs that lead to this big speed etc.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11335 by Kneewall49
At deano's big Saturday session last Saturday I cracked 29.3km down a big wave coming into little Makaha, as did many of the group that morning.

Big! Swell and some carnage, four boats damaged out of a pack of about 12-15.

I tell you 29kph on the water is quick, no paddle entry is possible.

I'm just pissed that I didn't have the gopro on board,that morning.

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11684 by rsturm
Replied by rsturm on topic Re: 68.8km/h on a Double Ski
After all the wild claims on the previous pages, is there actually any evidence for some of those high speeds (even if it were "just" 41 km)? I'd like to get a better understanding of what is and what is not reasonable.

Posting an actual file or even screenshot that establishes some real runs (not just misinterpreted turns) would be nice to make sure there this forum has more real information here than posturing.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11698 by Rightarmbad

I tell you 29kph on the water is quick, no paddle entry is possible.

Not true, If you dramatically shorten your paddle it is certainly possible to paddle at that speed.

I remember Catching a speed boat wake when I was using a paddle length of 217cm, absolutely no hope of paddling and a bloody near threw myself out of the boat.
I didn't at the time realise that the speed was that high(around 24kmh).

But with a 205cm, it's crazy what you can paddle on.
The catch happens closer to you with a more vertical paddle and the catch happens super quick.
Give it a go, it will surprise you.

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Rightarmbad.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11703 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: 68.8km/h on a Double Ski
24+ km/h with a Fenn XT on a reef break : at that speed, paddling was useless.
connect.garmin.com/activity/102670328

same reef break with a mako6. GPS says 32+ km/h, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong, so I would really like to have a look at gps files showing warp speed records.
connect.garmin.com/activity/138535876
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Hiro.

Latest Forum Topics