Transporting V12 on top of a car?

• Kenny S
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #4216 by Kenny S
Transporting V12 on top of a car? was created by Kenny S
I want to buy a Epic V12 soon,, what is recommended to transport such a long surfski on top of a toyota sequioa? I would be traveling most times 2.5 hours on the interstate.(I don't want to put undue stress on the surfski, by the winds and speed)
I have had a 17' canoe before, it was lashed down with nylon rope, with no trouble.
Any suggestions welcomed!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #4218 by owenfromwales
Hi Kenny,
If you really want to look after your ski, then you have to either buy or make a suitable roof-rack with a cradle. What you need is something to spread the load as much as possible, and this includes for the material you use to tie down your boat (although, I wouldn`t go with nylon ropes). If you use normal tie-down straps, you should get the ones with wider sections to go where they contact with the boat, or use somethng else to disperse the pressure on the ski.
Also, try to locate your roof-racks as far apart as possible so that the wind will have less leverage on the ends and be less likely to twist it off your roof. Don`t forget to put a little red rag off the trailing end, so others can see it from behind and you can see it when reversing.
Thule do some good racks, so that could be your starting point.
Once you get a few scratches on your ski you might get a bit more casual about how you look after your ski, in which case you could follow my example in the photos from Facebook below:
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=50842255...=156081&id=508422559

Happy paddling,
Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by owenfromwales. Reason: photo didn`t seem to get through

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #4226 by pilbaralad
Replied by pilbaralad on topic Re:Transporting V12 on top of a car?
I have been using the Rola Roof Rack kayak mounts (like a rubber c cup that holds each side of the hull) which have been great for my fibreglass V10 sport. I have noticed others also using tie downs front and rear with a rubber (Like bike tyre) loop around the boat, that stabilizes the ends but allows flex.

I have asked some owners why they mount thier boats upside down and put them on the actual roof rack bars, thier reply was that the kayak mounts can mark (dent) the hull, so the sides of the cockpit are tougher and better to contact the bars.

Hope all that made sense :dry:

• AndyN
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #4233 by AndyN
Replied by AndyN on topic Re:Transporting V12 on top of a car?
I find 'V' bars as used for K1's work perfectly.
Personally I wouldn't be happy with a ski just on the roof on roof rack bars.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4240 by jsowers
I highly recommend Kaykpro V or similar type of rack. www.kayakpro.com/kp/kayakpro2/wwwhtml/contents/ez-vee.htm

Developed stress crack in my first ski which I think came from strapping it upside down on the crossbars with thin pads and lots of interstate driving. The V racks are great for any type boat. They come in different lengths. I have a plus. Call Greyson Bourn if unsure of size. Had mine about 5 years. Not inexpensive but would not use any other.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4258 by svengali
Kenny
i too would recommend against inverting your ski and strapping it down directly onto the roof bars, even with some padding in between. While the gunwhales are stronger per square inch than the hull, when inverted the boat's weight is distributed over a much smaller surface area and bumps etc are transferred directly to the boat.
Proper boat cradles from one of the main manufacturers like Thule give you the weight dispersion, snug fit, shock absorption and suspension that you will need, especially for such a long trip.
Sven

Latest Forum Topics