Epic V8 for V10sport

More
8 years 7 months ago #24568 by kwolfe
Epic V8 for V10sport was created by kwolfe
I've had my v8 for about a month or so now. I absolutely love the boat. I have come to the conclusion that I will be paddling 99% flat water (smaller lake flat) so was go to look into a v10sport for a little more speed.

Just thought I would see if anyone would be interested in a trade (assuming plus cash on my end). The v8 has a weedless rudder and a kickup up rudder. If not, no big deal. I'm still having fun.

I live in central PA so a couple hour drive wouldn't be bad.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24572 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Epic V8 for V10sport
If you are interested in buying my V10 (not Sport), please let me know. I am in MD and willing to deliver it to you in PA or meet half-way. Or you pick-up in MD 20814. Just about perfect condition, latest version, Performance layup, one owner, garaged, very little use mainly on flat fresh water.

Edit: V8 seem to be in more demand (and availability) than V10, so I maybe persuaded to take yours as a trade and sell it myself, but would rather not do that as I won't be using it myself.

Edit 2: If you are willing to replace the V8 for a Sport after such a short time, consider whether you will again want something even faster in just a few months. I had the older Sport before getting my new V10 and felt that, about a year after I got the Sport, I was ready for something less "friendly" - I was not really challenged with the Sport on flat water fairly soon after I got it. The V10 is noticeably quicker to catch and stay on fast boat wakes than the Sport. The V10 is a bit more demanding in terms of stability, but more rewarding in terms of speed and feel on the water (allows more rotation due to the narrower width and catch area).
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Kocho.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24573 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Epic V8 for V10sport
Kocho,
You peaked my curiosity. I'm new to the forum. Is there a way to send PMs? If not, shoot me your email address and we can talk. I'm always dreaming of downwinders, but the reality is, I may only get to the beach a few (maybe 3) times per year at best. These days, I am paddling around 4-6 days per week in the morning on really flat water. Water ski boat wakes are the worst thing I encounter. ;)

Keivn

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24574 by Kocho
Kevin,

In the spirit of objectivity, you should probably seek advice also from others who are not trying to sell their V10 ;) But I will share my own experience with you gladly. Especially, since I paddle in very similar waters as you do - mostly flat on the river with some decent size boat wakes on occasion and with the veeeery occasional trip to the Chesapeake Bay and only four times (!) to the ocean on a surf ski over quite a few years...
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Kocho.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24602 by kwolfe
I'd be open to other brands that have comparable specs to the V10 sport. Being pretty new to this, Epic is all I know at the moment.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24690 by kwolfe
Quick question but is there any real difference between the first and second generation v10 sports?

More
8 years 6 months ago #24692 by Kocho
There are 3 generations of V10 Sport. First two have the same hull but different seat widths and shapes, the third (current gen.) has different hull and seat/cockpit.

Yes, the current gen is a bit more stable than the previous, the cockpit is longer and has more space for the feet too, the seat is different (better for my butt), has higher top speed it is said, and paddle cutouts. And it is at least 5lb heavier than the previous gen in the same "Performance" layup.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24734 by kwolfe
Hey all. I'll be down in DC on Oct 10th just in case anyone is interested. I could bring the ski down.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24736 by Kocho
You may want to post here: www.cpakayaker.com/forums/viewforum.php?...2e8098fcb8364ff6f089

(or give me a link/contact details, and I can post for you)

More
8 years 6 months ago #24737 by kwolfe
Kocho,
If you could post this link that would be awesome!

washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/boa/5226111662.html

More
8 years 6 months ago #24778 by Kocho

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24788 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Epic V8 for V10sport
kwolfe, I just came across this thread.

I already have a V8. It's the same model as you are looking to trade; so I wouldn't be interested in doing that kind of transaction. But I do have a v10 Sport in excellent shape, built in the Performance layup. I purchased it a year after my V8 and used her for about half of a paddling season. I was considering putting her up for sale in the spring, and if you feel you might have an interest, I might consider doing so now. I am located in NY. You can use "Jamaica Bay, NY" on googlemaps as a reference for location if you're not familiar with the area...

For me personally, this V10 Sport has what I consider to be kind of a special "ski community" story tied to it. For that reason more than anything else, I have kept her hanging in the garage this past year. But truth be told, I fitness paddle distance and have generally found myself gravitating toward the V8 for that purpose, as opposed to switching back and forth between boats. So the Sport doesn't really get into the water as much as she should.

Anyway, if you're interested in discussing, let me know...
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by PaddleFaster.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24789 by Kocho
If kwolfe is not interested, I might be. Is your V10 Sport the latest/current generation? I may be interested if it is. Ideally, I'd swap you my V10 for it. Looks like you are near JFK airport in NY. I could be persuaded to drive up there to swap/pick-up. Or even farther North, if a 3-way deal with someone who wants my V10 can be arranged (CT, NJ, RI, MA, and thereabouts).

PaddleFaster wrote: kwolfe, I just came across this thread.

I already have a V8. It's the same model as you are looking to trade; so I wouldn't be interested in doing that kind of transaction. But I do have a v10 Sport in excellent shape, built in the Performance layup. I purchased it a year after my V8 and used her for about half of a paddling season. I was considering putting her up for sale in the spring, and if you feel you might have an interest, I might consider doing so now. I am located in NY. You can use "Jamaica Bay, NY" on googlemaps as a reference for location if you're not familiar with the area...

For me personally, this V10 Sport has what I consider to be kind of a special "ski community" story tied to it. For that reason more than anything else, I have kept her hanging in the garage this past year. But truth be told, I fitness paddle distance and have generally found myself gravitating toward the V8 for that purpose, as opposed to switching back and forth between boats. So the Sport doesn't really get into the water as much as she should.

Anyway, if you're interested in discussing, let me know...

More
8 years 6 months ago #24790 by PaddleFaster
Kocho, no, sorry. It's the revised cockpit, middle, Gen II version... I purchased it a few months before the newer current model was released.

Not really interested in a V10, but thanks for the consideration. I have been in ( and out) of them a time or two, but they are really not the boat for my needs. If anything I would just keep the Sport. I really like the boat. But as a fitness paddler running 10 to 20 plus miles an outing at a methodical pace around the bay, a few days a week, I just seem to feel that the V8-- or similar sized ski/kayak hybrid-- is really the best option for my needs.

If I was closer to 50 than 60, and my paddling was more traditional off-shore ski paddling, or if I was interested in racing, I probably would have the V10. But as a fitness paddler, more boat than a V8 just isn't a necessary commodity...

Again, thanks for the reply. Appreciated...

More
8 years 6 months ago #24792 by kwolfe
What is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen of the v10 sports? Is the design different or is it just things like the handles and bailer?

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24793 by Kocho
Seat shape (I like it better, but that's an individual preferences, I'm sure some will like the old one better), paddle cutouts, hull shape (a bit more stable, some say faster), heavier construction (my 2 gen V10 Sport in Performance layup was under 28lb, the new ones are 34lb), different rail setup at the strap adds a little more foot room without adding overall width to the cockpit there. Those the ones I know of, in addition to the handles and bailer...

kwolfe wrote: What is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen of the v10 sports? Is the design different or is it just things like the handles and bailer?

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24794 by PaddleFaster
The updated seat shape from the Gen I, of the Gen II's bucket that I have, is from Epic's description, the same fit and shape as your / our V8 model. From what I understand, the reshaped bucket and paint scheme were real differences between the Gen 1 and 2 models.

I haven't seen the newer model Sport in person. I have thought that the differences would "possibly" be similar to the differences between the newer model V8 and the gen older V8 version we currently own, so I never sought one out to compare.

I have experience with the newer model V8 and though the look of the boat is refined a bit, I didn't really find it's performance to be noticeably different from the original V8. Others may disagree, but aside from possibly a little less waggle in the butt section of the newer model V8 in short chop, I didn't notice any real "performance" based differences. I have in the area of a Garmin logged 3000 miles in my V8. So I feel that any real performance differences between the two boats would be pretty noticeable to me... But when it comes to the two V8 models, for me that personally was not the case.

In truth, though that is how I feel about the V8 models based on my own experience, any differences between the Gen II and Gen III Sport might be much more noticeable.

My Gen II has a bullet installed that I made, added to the Venturi; as well as a rubber plug attached to a short piece of bungee that goes into the drain to close it off when desired. So water management in the cockpit is handled very easily and very well. Also, my Gen II has an upgraded, polished,stainless steel rod / shaft that the rudder pedals pivot on. The original rod / shaft on Gen II Sports and the original V8 were composite. The composite rod would wear, or cause the rudder pedals to wear out over time. That happened on my V8 in one paddling season and I had to replace my pedals, so when I got the V10 Sport, I immediately made the upgrade with a polished stainless steel shaft on both boats that I purchased from Mcmaster.com. I believe that the stainless shaft is now standard on many Epic models.

Anyway kwolfe, after you do all of your research and such, if you by chance decide that you might possibly be interested in purchasing a used Gen II Sport, like I stated, I have one in NY, in good condition, that I am might be thinking about selling in the foreseeable future at a fair price if, or when it's sold.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by PaddleFaster.

More
8 years 5 months ago #24795 by kwolfe
I might hang tight for now. I was really looking for the new gen due to the increased stability. Especially going into the fall/winter, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be getting into something tippy in the cold water.

Since folks have a lot more knowledge than I do, is there really a big difference between the club and Performance layups? It only 3lbs difference but $500. I can understand jumping into the Ultra (I don't have that coin though) but 3lb lbs is a big water bottle.

I have someone possible interested in the V8 and could possible through an extra $500 to get a new v10 sport in the club layup.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24796 by PaddleFaster
Totally understand 100 % Kwolfe...

Just a few things I'd like to share that I found out based on my own experiences. Apologies if they end up not really having any worth in the discussion...

With good paddling technique and fitness, the speed average difference on flat water between the V8 and V10 Sport, both in the Performance layup, averages out to be between .2 mph and about a .5 mph max. In " racing" terms, those numbers can without a doubt be pretty significant. But in flat water paddling terms, where the paddling is geared more toward fitness, you're pretty much looking at a barely noticeable speed increase that generally adds up to just a few minutes for each hour paddled.

That's if there is actually any speed increase at all. Depending on the paddler's technique, fitness level and experience, as well as the use of the boat, sometimes going into a "faster boat" can actually have you going exactly the same speed as you would in the "slower" boat, or in some situations, even slower in the faster boat, than you go in the slower boat... ( Okay, that one made my head hurt- laughing)

In other words, something that you "may" find a bit frustrating at first when getting into the Sport , is that depending on your paddling experience and stroke technique, there is a very real possibility that for a good amount of time, you may not see any speed increase at all between how fast you paddle your V8 now, and how fast you paddle a new Sport in the same layup.

But, with all of that being said, I find that for me personally, just the excitement of thinking about getting a new boat is enough to put me in a crack addict like tizzy...

Or for that matter, a new truck, motorcycle, cordless drill, brand of beer, or anything else that makes being a guy fun! (laughing)

There is a kayak show in New Jersey in February, where the Epic dealer Jersey Paddler often sells their skis at a special show price with about a 10 % discount. If you haven't already found a Sport by then, you may be able to get a new model Sport for a great price.

Good luck with your mission!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by PaddleFaster.

More
8 years 5 months ago #24983 by kwolfe
I wanted to give this a quick bump. I'm not really brand specific, but would like to get into a more advanced ski.

I was out on the lake this morning doing a short 3 miler. On this smaller lake, I do intervals to a buoy about .5 miles away; sprint down and easy back. By the end, I was tired and still pushing and at no point did I feel tippy on the ski. I had it on a larger lake with some 2ft (and occasional 3ft) wind swell and was totally stable. Yes, it was windy that morning.

I love the V8, but would like something faster with a narrower hull at the catch. I find myself wanting and able to plant the paddle closer to the boat but I can't due to its measurements. Still fun, but I feel like I could get more out of a more advanced ski.

Also, some updated pics.
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics