Boat design question

More
4 years 9 months ago #34535 by Steve Hansen
Why isn't it possible to design a surfski with elite level (low) primary stability and beginner/intermediate level secondary stability ? Or to put a different way,  why can't you have a boat like the Epic V8 (20" wide, good secondary stability) but with very low primary stability ? Seems like it should be possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #34536 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic Boat design question
Perhaps the real question is:  Who would want to paddle such a boat?  Someone who races extremely flat water but wants some training wheels for the occasional boat wake?

Huki's solution for that person:
www.huki.com/index.php?page=Gull_Wing

That being said, the Gen 1 V12 has the most lopsided primary/secondary ratio that I'm aware of, and I really like that boat.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #34537 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Boat design question
This would made for an interesting boat. Elite fast on flat water but has intermediate level secondary stability to the point that its similar to a SR, XT, Evo, V10S.  

It would look very triangular with a lot of flare at the deck like a trainer K1. Now that I'm more skilled I'd like to paddle a V12g1 again. I tried it (just for kicks) when I had no experience and couldn't stay up for more than a few strokes. Im curious how I would perceive it now. 

I for one like the sound of your idea

More
4 years 9 months ago #34538 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Boat design question
Yes the V12 G1 has a ridiculously large secondary to primary stability ratio. I have owned 2 of them. The above the water flare is indeed there and mostly in the bow. The benefit of this design is that ski seems to get more stable the rougher it is.  It is a great ski for someone like myself who does 98% of paddling on the flat and very rarely gets in proper downwind. The downsides of the flared bow are that it is ugly and it slows the boat a lot if you poke it into the wave ahead of you. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
4 years 9 months ago #34561 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Boat design question
To some extent, the old K1 delta designs were like that. The design constraints forced a very wide deck line that meant you could lean them and get secondary stability (as long as you had a very good spraydeck and confidence). 

The drawback of any such design is unpredictable handling in steep choppy water. I switch between 'modern' design K1 and an old delta-design boat (Javelin). The tippiest of the modern design K1s (that I've paddled) actually feels more stable in other boat wakes. Just don't ask me to do a fast turn!

More
4 years 9 months ago #34562 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Boat design question
The best stability/speed ratio that I have ever paddled was the Stellar SEL 1G. Cockpit was terrible by today's standards but it was an awesome ski for all New England conditions. If Stellar would update the bucket to the SEA and leave the hull alone, move the rudder forward an inch, they would have a very popular ski.

Looking back, the SES 1G, V12 1G were very fast skis with good stability. The V12 1G for under 180lb paddlers took alot of rudder control in the quarter beam seas where it was not good. My SES 1G had more predictable secondary and took less rudder input, and less side to side movement than V12 1G. 

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

Latest Forum Topics