Re: Robberg Express questions

More
16 years 6 months ago #753 by txbuckeye
Rouen,
Do you have the older version of the Robberg or the new updated version?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #754 by Rouen
Replied by Rouen on topic Re: Robberg Express questions
Hi Dave

I bought one of the previous models from Brians Kayaks in Cape Town, secondhand for a very good price. By previous I mean like the one in the "Surfski Shootout" article on this website, with the funky looking nose.

More
16 years 2 months ago #755 by bckcrainbow
Replied by bckcrainbow on topic Robberg Express
Are there any more paddlers out there using the new model Robberg Express?

From the surfski.info surfski shootout it would seem the RE was given only moderate speed comparison against skis like the Mako 6 and V10...and was rated as feeling less stable than these skis. Of course absolute speed is always going to depend on the engine but I'm curious to know how experienced RE users feel their skis stack up relative to the Mako 6 and V10 on flater water conditions...personally I think as the water gets rougher the paddler's comfort in waves becomes the overwhelming factor limiting speed rather than any design features of the boat.

More
16 years 2 days ago #756 by Gavin Gottschalk
I?m looking for some feedback from anyone out there who?s paddling the new Robberg Express regularly. I have seen Rob?s excellent review on the website. I?m an average (in races) but competent paddler; just finished my 3rd summer on the water. Started in an XT and have been paddling a Mako 6 for past year which I don?t feel is quite right for me. Having tried some options, the Robberg feels good for the following reasons: the seat is extremely comfortable, especially as the back of the bucket is cut away and I don?t get the awful chafe on my sacrum that all other seats seem to cause; the seat height is a little higher so gives excellent paddling position (albeit possibly making it a touch more twitchy); and the boat is shorter at 6.15m which feels somehow more ?controllable? for a lightweight (76kg) like me. I?m keen to hear how people view the general stability in all conditions, how it rides the runs, and how easy it is to remount. Thanks!

More
16 years 1 day ago #757 by bckcrainbow
Hi Gavin,
I was in a similar position to you not too long ago, looking for information on the new RE, even posted here but got no feedback. So I bit the bullet and bought one to find out for myself. Have been paddling it for a couple months now, having moved from paddling a Think Evo. The RE is real comfy as you say, and I do like the cutaway deck behind the cockpit, I'm learning how to take advantage of this while on waves. I have found the RE to be twitchier than the Evo, but the Evo is so stable this wasn't a surprise. My local paddling/racing conditions most often range from flat calm to wind chop, seldom do we get into real downwind conditions so I cannot comment much on this. What I have found is that the RE really likes the waves, I've been able to catch waves better than had in the past...likely due to the significant amount of rocker of the RE. On the downside I have found the RE to be slightly slower on the flats, likely again due to the rocker and the shorter length. That said I am quite enjoying my Robberg Express and am looking forward to using it in our just starting surfski racing season...I'll reevaluate my commitment to the RE at season's end. Check out surfskibc.wordpress.com/ for information on the surfski racing scene in the western Canada.

More
15 years 11 months ago #758 by Gavin Gottschalk
Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I managed to take a demo boat out in variable conditions over the past few days and have found the following:
On the flat, very stable and smooth. I found it to be plenty fast enough, but hey, I?m not at the front end of the field looking to pick up microseconds on the other speedster next to me. Had the pleasure of 2 great South-Westerlies off Sea Point in Cape Town. These involved a few Km?s of stiff upwind, then some cross wind stuff, and then the downwind run home. Upwind it pushes through the swell well and is quick to get down again after cresting- maybe this is because the cockpit is slightly further forward compared to other skis? I felt comfortable in the messy cross-wind stuff, especially compared to the Mako 6 which I feel tends to ?roll? a bit, making me feel unstable. Downwind I was initially hampered by 2 problems: on the first paddle my left forefoot went totally numb in rather cold Atlantic water, so I couldn?t feel the peddle at all. Result? Sliding to the right across the runs and trying desperately to ?turn left, turn #@&% left!? but without any response from a white and sensation-less forefoot. Problem 2 was that the demo boats peddle/rudder set-up wasn?t perfectly aligned so I had to compensate with more left steerage. However, once this was figured out, I had a blast! It picks up the runs really well and is very maneuverable- for the first time I was able to turn on a run and pick up the next one coming from a different angle. Also, as I mentioned before, because it?s a bit shorter it seems for ?controllable? to me. I haven?t yet tried it getting in and out of the surf, but no doubt that will come because end result of all this? I placed my order today!

Latest Forum Topics