An old ski built by the Kayak Centre Germany!

More
15 years 11 months ago #2114 by richardh
I've 'found' an old ski and the label indicates it was built by the Kayak Centre in Germany.

It has a flat deck. The rudder 'T' bar sits up from the rear deck and the rudder wire runs in fibreglass channels on top of the deck.

Its roughly 5.6m long and 46cm wide. It needs some fibreglass repairs to the hull and where the pedals attach and a new rudder, pedals and wire

Has anyone seen anything like it?
Has anyone any thoughts on whether it is worth salvaging?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #2115 by rojo
Hi,
could you post a picture? Do you have a rough guess how old it might be? Could you please post exactly what information is printed on the label? Is it a SPEC ski?

I do not know a 'kayak centre' in Germany but a link on Wikipedia leads to www.rettungssport.com.
They have focus on live-saving competitions and have been around for a while. Might be worth to send them an email.

Cheers

More
15 years 11 months ago #2116 by stuartknaggs
I think it may be Kayak Centre "New Germany". This is where Kayak Centre used to be located many years ago. My guess is that it may be an old Oscar Ski that they used to build. I had one 20 years ago and would love to try one again to see how it goes. People used these boats for all the big races that are still run today, so they are quite capable of being used. If you have nothing else and it doesn't cost much (read nothing) then go ahead and take it - can't hurt.

Stuart

More
15 years 11 months ago #2117 by richardh
Hi Rojo and Stuart.

Thanks for the replies - I think Stuart's suggestion makes sense. Unfortunately I cannot take a photo - the ski was 'dumped' near a work mates house and I have only viewed it at night.

My guess is that it was dumped as it is uneconomic to repair - I didn't want to pick it up and then have the same disposal issue if it can not be salvaged.

I have no undercover storage space, so I'll have a think ... and report back.

Thanks again
R

More
15 years 11 months ago #2118 by stuartknaggs
I'm sure it will be uneconomic to repair if you are paying someone else to do it. If you can wield a brush and a sander, it will probably be worth it if you are broke. I have put badly broken skis together with a minimum of cost in material - but the time invested can be significant. I usually work outside - just have a plastic sheet handy in case it starts raining. It is better to paddle an old dog than to sit around wishing you had something nice to paddle. :)

More
15 years 11 months ago #2119 by stuartknaggs
there is a picture of Oscar on an Oscar Ski in this article

www.surfski.info/content/view/629/147/

More
15 years 11 months ago #2120 by richardh
Hi Stuart.

The 'Hummel', from what I can see, looks just like the ski I was looking at.

It is better to paddle an old dog than to sit around wishing you had something nice to paddle.

I'm sure you are right ... I've got my own ski, but a work mate described the Oscar ski and I thought it was in better condition that it is.

A restoration project would be interesting, but would be competing for attention with two (soon to be three) young kids and all the other household jobs!

Thanks again.

Latest Forum Topics