Stability comparison

More
8 years 7 months ago #24656 by moca zerbino
hello I have this boat:
16'5" x 20"
I hope it is not a question too naive, but how do you think this boat is stable compared to a EVO?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24657 by [email protected]
Very, very difficult to guess based on photos!

Can you tell us the manufacturer? It looks a little like a Carbonology Sport logo in the top pic.

It *looks* flattish behind the cockpit, which is a feature of most intermediate/beginner boats.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
8 years 7 months ago #24659 by moca zerbino
Replied by moca zerbino on topic Stability comparison
it's this boat:

it's a carbon outrigger canoe but can be used without alma.

I am going to buy a Evo II and I would try to imagine how my future life will be unstable knowing the stability grade of this canoe.
Of course I am a beginner :-)

More
8 years 7 months ago #24660 by [email protected]
Aha!

Ok, the Evo II is an intermediate boat, slightly less stable than the Fenn Swordfish, quite a bit less stable than the Epic V8 or Fenn Bluefin.

If you're paddling it in water as flat as the water in your first photo, you shouldn't have too much difficulty. If you're paddling it on the sea, be prepared for some swimming - but don't be ashamed of that, we've all gone through a swimming stage!

You may however want to watch this:

How to remount your surfski!

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: moca zerbino

More
8 years 7 months ago #24661 by moca zerbino
yes, I am reading a lot about surfski and particularly about the Evo.
But it's the value of this "quite stable" or "more/less stable" in the reviews and forum that I can't figure. There is only a surfski in all the country, a second hand Evo II and it's 600km far from my home. So no choice, no test and it will be almost impossible to resell it. That why I tried this test with my canoe, It's the only comparison I have.
:)

More
8 years 7 months ago #24662 by [email protected]
Ok! What country is that?

What I can say is that although you might swim a bit to start with, it will be MUCH more fun than your canoe! Much faster, more responsive, more fun...

Go for it!

Rob

More
8 years 7 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #24663 by moca zerbino
Singapore, swimming is not a problem
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by moca zerbino.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24666 by Skiwalker
Replied by Skiwalker on topic Stability comparison
Moca, the Evo ii is a great design. I got a second hand one a few months back (15kg model) and I'm very happy with how it performs. Next month it will be a year from when I started paddling - first on FennXT before getting the Evoii and paddle about 2 to 3 times/week - and I'm now confident to head out all conditions in it and I'm by no means a super athlete. I do still swim occasionally when its very messy and I'm not concentrating, but thats all a part of the fun.

Just a tip before buying the boat, as it's 2nd be sure to check it thoroughly. Open the front inspection hatch and tug on the stringer to see if its ok and still fixed to the deck and the hull. Also, rub the whole boat down with a smooth cloth feeling for soft spots and looking for the faintest of hairline cracks. Preferably do this not in direct sunlight as it makes cracks are more difficult to detect. The Thinks have a polyurethane finish which is more flexible than gelcoat which tends to hide structural problems beneath.

I learnt these lessons the hard way with mine. It looked cosmetically perfect when i got it, but the stringers ( both front and back) were damaged and I suspect it had a rather large crack developing also. Although this could have been caused in part by me riding waves also :) Be sure to take your time and check it well.

I have since opened mine up and replaced the stringers and its back on the water and loving it. The bucket is really confortable (I'm 6ft 80kg) and it runs beautifully compared to the XT.

All the best..

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Skiwalker.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24680 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic Stability comparison
If there's only 1 surf ski in Thailand maybe I need to visit my daughter when she's back there again and open up a surf ski shop. :)

Latest Forum Topics